Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Getting makeup done at macys which brand do u reccom?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:44 pm
Im getting my makeup done at macys for a wedding, which brand /counter do u think I should go to based on your experience ??

Thank you.

crystal

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:47 pm
Are you sure that's not considered stealing? I have heard that people do it but frankly, I'm appalled.

simba

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:50 pm
crystal wrote:
Are you sure that's not considered stealing? I have heard that people do it but frankly, I'm appalled.

I remember something to the extent that they will do your face if you spend a certain amount on makeup at that counter. It's cheaper then a private makeup artist and you walk away with that value in makeup.

crystal

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:54 pm
simba wrote:
I remember something to the extent that they will do your face if you spend a certain amount on makeup at that counter. It's cheaper then a private makeup artist and you walk away with that value in makeup.

Maybe some places offer that. But Macy's has makeup counters from practically every brand, all with salespeople applying the makeup and products on you with the hope of making a sale. I believe the OP is taking advantage of that and just getting her makeup done for free.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:57 pm
You really have to buy something as it would be incredibly chutzpadick to not buy anything after they've done your makeup. If it isn't explicit as part of the policy, then it is an unwritten contract.

I don't even know if anyone does that anymore - I.e. full face for free. I think MAC now charges and you need to make an appointment.

simba

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:00 am
crystal wrote:
Maybe some places offer that. But Macy's has makeup counters from practically every brand, all with salespeople applying the makeup and products on you with the hope of making a sale. I believe the OP is taking advantage of that and just getting her makeup done for free.

That is correct, they apply the makeup on you and are assured you will be purchasing. You can even make an Appt with the various counters and they will tell you you have to purchase $70 worth of makeup.
I'm not sure why you decided OP is doing otherwise, this is what I assumed.

OP, makeup brands are by and large the same and have the same products. It really matters who is applying it so it would be hard for anyone here to assist with that.
Go with whatever brand you own the most makeup of so you know some of your colors to start with.
Good luck and enjoy the Simcha.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:16 am
How old are you? Different lines do a better job on certain ages.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:18 am
amother wrote:

Which brands are better for young and which for older?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:03 am
Are you sure they're offering a full makeover? They'll usually do partial application so you can see what the color looks like on you before you purchase.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
Are you sure they're offering a full makeover? They'll usually do partial application so you can see what the color looks like on you before you purchase.

The counter I use always puts two different colors on each side to compare.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:21 am
crystal wrote:

If they required you to buy the makeup, they would tell you. Corporations such as Macy's are not in the business of allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. Do you consider it stealing to go into the supermarket just to buy an item on super-sale (which they are probably selling at a loss) even though the sale is only there to draw you into the store and buy other things?

The point of the makeup counters is that when you see how gorgeous you look, you will want to buy the makeup right then and there. I'll allow that it might be tacky to then whip out your phone and buy the makeup from Amazon instead of from the store. Still not stealing. Definitely not stealing if you don't feel the makeup is worth your money and decide not to buy it.

It's like when I got fitted for a bra at a little boutique lingerie shop -- if the store had reasonably priced bras of course I would have bought from them. But at $75 a pop, no way! I went to Lord & Taylor and got them for $30.

TL; DR: It's like a free sample! Do you never take a free sample of something because you might not end up buying a case of it? Ask your LOR if you are still concerned but I've never heard of an issue with this.

EDITED: if you know that the makeup at Macy's is in general too expensive for you to buy no matter how good it looks, that is geneivas daas open and shut. The above only applies if you are open to buying it right then and there once you see how it looks on you. Thanks to LovesHashem for pointing this out. Let this be an example of how people can actually change their minds because someone pointed something out to them respectfully.

Last edited by SpottedBanana on Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:27 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
If they required you to buy the makeup, they would tell you. Corporations such as Macy's are not in the business of allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. Do you consider it stealing to go into the supermarket just to buy an item on super-sale (which they are probably selling at a loss) even though the sale is only there to draw you into the store and buy other things?

The point of the makeup counters is that when you see how gorgeous you look, you will want to buy the makeup right then and there. I'll allow that it might be tacky to then whip out your phone and buy the makeup from Amazon instead of from the store. Still not stealing. Definitely not stealing if you don't feel the makeup is worth your money and decide not to buy it.

It's like when I got fitted for a bra at a little boutique lingerie shop -- if the store had reasonably priced bras of course I would have bought from them. But at $75 a pop, no way! I went to Lord & Taylor and got them for $30.

TL; DR: It's like a free sample! Do you never take a free sample of something because you might not end up buying a case of it? Ask your LOR if you are still concerned but I've never heard of an issue with this.

Ask your Rabbi.
There's a difference between buying something at the store, like a grocery on a massive sale and ignoring everything else than going into a store with the intention of not buying anything and using them.

ACCORDING to my Rabbi, I have to tell the store worker that I have no intention of buying anything and if they allow me to try things on and browse than great.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:31 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Ask your Rabbi.
There's a difference between buying something at the store, like a grocery on a massive sale and ignoring everything else than going into a store with the intention of not buying anything and using them.

ACCORDING to my Rabbi, I have to tell the store worker that I have no intention of buying anything and if they allow me to try things on and browse than great.

Yes, textbook geneivas daas is asking a salesperson how much something costs or other questions with no intention of buying, just to mess around with the salesperson. But with makeup, you never really know if it's worth it until you see it on your face, so can you really say you have no intention? Same with clothes -- why would you try them on if you have no intention of buying? You would buy them if they made you feel like a million bucks and were the same price as the clothes you usually buy.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:36 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Yes, textbook geneivas daas is asking a salesperson how much something costs or other questions with no intention of buying, just to mess around with the salesperson. But with makeup, you never really know if it's worth it until you see it on your face, so can you really say you have no intention? Same with clothes -- why would you try them on if you have no intention of buying? You would buy them if they made you feel like a million bucks and were the same price as the clothes you usually buy.

You gave an example of trying on a bra somewhere and buying it somewhere cheaper.
You need to be honest with yourself, is there a chance you will buy it? Or do you already know it's half the price on amazon and plan on buying it there?

With makeup I had asked because I wanted to buy a foundation online that was being sold for 25 shekels but in stores it was 70. My Rabbi told me if I have no intention whatsoever of buying it in that store I must tell them before I try it on or have a worker help me.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:41 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You gave an example of trying on a bra somewhere and buying it somewhere cheaper.
You need to be honest with yourself, is there a chance you will buy it? Or do you already know it's half the price on amazon and plan on buying it there?

With makeup I had asked because I wanted to buy a foundation online that was being sold for 25 shekels but in stores it was 70. My Rabbi told me if I have no intention whatsoever of buying it in that store I must tell them before I try it on or have a worker help me.

Well if you already know the prices, that is different. I apologize for making the assumption before that one didn't know the prices (I had no idea the prices would be that high in the lingerie shop, nothing was marked). In this specific case I would buy the makeup from Macy's in any case because of chillul Hashem.

I'm going to edit my post to make it clear that you can only do this if you are open to buying the makeup, from Macy's, if it's worth it to you, because otherwise it is geneivas daas.

STMommy

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:46 am
Many years ago, don't know if they still do this, you could book a makeup lesson at Estee Lauder that you pay for, you can buy the makeup after but most important you learn techinques for doing makeup yourself. Years later I am still very good at doing my own eye makeup myself.

going-up

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:49 am
If you buy a $50 sephora gift card they give you a free makeover. Just make sure to book an appointment in appointment advance. The advantage of going to sephora for this is they can use many brands on you at the same time depending what's best for you. And you can buy products you liked on you with the gift card.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:26 am
SpottedBanana wrote:

I'm going to edit my post to make it clear that you can only do this if you are open to buying the makeup, from Macy's, if it's worth it to you, because otherwise it is geneivas daas.

I see we more or less agree.
In any case again you must be honest.

Are you really open to buying makeup? Do you have any money for makeup? Do you have enough at home and are happy with what you have? Do you have 5 makeup items and are totally not interested in more, too much work and stuff? Are you just coming for a makeover?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:38 am
crystal wrote:

This is so nasty of you to immediately assume im going to STEAL. THE SAME TORAH THAT SAYS DONT STEAL ALSO SAYS DAN LCAF ZECHUS.

no makeup counter that I went to does makeup for free. They told me I must buy a certain amount of products which I did as I have done this previously.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

Im in my 30s and dont have good skin which is why im asking ppl here for recomm. Yes, it depends on the makeup artist but also some brands focus on different things. What do you recommend for the above?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics