Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Getting makeup done at macys which brand do u reccom?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
This is so nasty of you to immediately assume im going to STEAL. THE SAME TORAH THAT SAYS DONT STEAL ALSO SAYS DAN LCAF ZECHUS.

no makeup counter that I went to does makeup for free. They told me I must buy a certain amount of products which I did as I have done this previously.

That makes so much sense! I thought they do it for free but it makes a lot of sense that they charge -- as I said, large corporations are really not in the business of getting taken advantage of so I'm sure the amount of products that you have to buy has been carefully calibrated to maximize their profit. If that number was 0, that would have been well thought-out as well (so it would not be stealing according to the laws of geneivas mammon, just a special halacha of geneivas daas).

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:43 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
If they required you to buy the makeup, they would tell you. Corporations such as Macy's are not in the business of allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. Do you consider it stealing to go into the supermarket just to buy an item on super-sale (which they are probably selling at a loss) even though the sale is only there to draw you into the store and buy other things?

The point of the makeup counters is that when you see how gorgeous you look, you will want to buy the makeup right then and there. I'll allow that it might be tacky to then whip out your phone and buy the makeup from Amazon instead of from the store. Still not stealing. Definitely not stealing if you don't feel the makeup is worth your money and decide not to buy it.

It's like when I got fitted for a bra at a little boutique lingerie shop -- if the store had reasonably priced bras of course I would have bought from them. But at $75 a pop, no way! I went to Lord & Taylor and got them for $30.

TL; DR: It's like a free sample! Do you never take a free sample of something because you might not end up buying a case of it? Ask your LOR if you are still concerned but I've never heard of an issue with this.

EDITED: if you know that the makeup at Macy's is in general too expensive for you to buy no matter how good it looks, that is geneivas daas open and shut. The above only applies if you are open to buying it right then and there once you see how it looks on you. Thanks to LovesHashem for pointing this out. Let this be an example of how people can actually change their minds because someone pointed something out to them respectfully.

CYLOR. My rabbi paskens that it is theft to use the time and services of a salesperson if you don't have the intention to purchase.

Browsing, without assistance, is OK.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:44 am
going-up wrote:
If you buy a $50 sephora gift card they give you a free makeover. Just make sure to book an appointment in appointment advance. The advantage of going to sephora for this is they can use many brands on you at the same time depending what's best for you. And you can buy products you liked on you with the gift card.

Thanks for this info how is sephora makeup, would you recommend for an older person with bad skin? Will it be enough coverage?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:47 am
SixOfWands wrote:
CYLOR. My rabbi paskens that it is theft to use the time and services of a salesperson if you don't have the intention to purchase.

Browsing, without assistance, is OK.

Browsing is fine, but with makeup you are trying it on and using the products, their makeup wipes. It is not okay even if they salesperson does not help you at all.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:49 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
That makes so much sense! I thought they do it for free but it makes a lot of sense that they charge -- as I said, large corporations are really not in the business of getting taken advantage of so I'm sure the amount of products that you have to buy has been carefully calibrated to maximize their profit. If that number was 0, that would have been well thought-out as well (so it would not be stealing according to the laws of geneivas mammon, just a special halacha of geneivas daas).

It is not geneivas daas, I make/made my intentions clear.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for this info how is sephora makeup, would you recommend for an older person with bad skin? Will it be enough coverage?

Sephora sells many brands and the staff is usually helpful. You can tell them what you're looking for, and they'll offer their advice. Your probably looking for something that provides full coverage, but not too heavy that it should fall into the lines and blemishes of your skin.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
It is not geneivas daas, I make/made my intentions clear.

Great! Then AFAIK you're good although of course I am not a rabbi. I wish I could help you with brand recommendations but it would be real geneivas daas if I pretended I knew what I was talking about with that!

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:54 am
crystal wrote:
Maybe some places offer that. But Macy's has makeup counters from practically every brand, all with salespeople applying the makeup and products on you with the hope of making a sale. I believe the OP is taking advantage of that and just getting her makeup done for free.

I once asked at Nordstrom about this. If you buy the makeup afterwards, they are OK with it. If you don't - and you didn't plan to - that's not OK.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:31 pm
you mothers are quite something. the ops question was which counter/brand should she use. she didn't ask a halachah question and I don't bekive any of you are her rav/rebbitsen or mashpia. either answer her question or move along.
OP I always liked mac and Bobby Brown. bb more muted generally more natural look and mac can play up or tone down to suit you. those are my "safe" go to spots.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
you mothers are quite something. the ops question was which counter/brand should she use. she didn't ask a halachah question and I don't bekive any of you are her rav/rebbitsen or mashpia. either answer her question or move along.
OP I always liked mac and Bobby Brown. bb more muted generally more natural look and mac can play up or tone down to suit you. those are my "safe" go to spots.

IMO if you are asking for suggestions on something which could potentially be assur on a frum site, you should get warnings. If you don't want them, why not post the question on a different site?

Also, you are insulting the users who posted under their screen names, under amother. That is not allowed.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
This is so nasty of you to immediately assume im going to STEAL. THE SAME TORAH THAT SAYS DONT STEAL ALSO SAYS DAN LCAF ZECHUS.

no makeup counter that I went to does makeup for free. They told me I must buy a certain amount of products which I did as I have done this previously.

This is what I was going to say. I’m sorry people assumed the worst.

STMommy

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:55 pm
I think Clinique has makeup for "bad" skin.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:55 pm
I would go to Bobbi Brown

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:30 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
IMO if you are asking for suggestions on something which could potentially be assur on a frum site, you should get warnings. If you don't want them, why not post the question on a different site?

Also, you are insulting the users who posted under their screen names, under amother. That is not allowed.

No, im the op. She is correct. Im the one who got insulted. I asked ques about which brands
To go to for a makeover at macys. I never said I wasnt paying or....ppl. here just assumed the worst and were not being dan lkaf zechus to me.

At least if anyone wanted to tell me that I cant do it without intention to pay...then you shouldve also recommended a brand and then throw in"" that reminder.

But the way some automatically assumed I was not paying was insulting to me.

When someone posts here about getting a swingset or ....nobody says "oh you cant steal it, you must pay for it" no, they assume shes paying for it!! So too, dont assume im not paying.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
No, im the op. She is correct. Im the one who got insulted. I asked ques about which brands
To go to for a makeover at macys. I never said I wasnt paying or....ppl. here just assumed the worst and were not being dan lkaf zechus to me.

At least if anyone wanted to tell me that I cant do it without intention to pay...then you shouldve also recommended a brand and then throw in"" that reminder.

But the way some automatically assumed I was not paying was insulting to me.

When someone posts here about getting a swingset or ....nobody says "oh you cant steal it, you must pay for it" no, they assume shes paying for it!! So too, dont assume im not paying.

Many makeup counters are free (as far as I know although I am no expert) and there are probably a number of people who use them with zero intention to buy. It is definitely not stealing under secular law, so it is much more of a hava amina to get makeup done without intention to buy than to break into someone's yard and steal their swingset.

I would have given you a recommendation but I have no experience with makeup brands. This thread may have gone in a direction different from the one you wanted, but many threads are like that -- you don't own the thread.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:08 pm
STMommy wrote:
Many years ago, don't know if they still do this, you could book a makeup lesson at Estee Lauder that you pay for, you can buy the makeup after but most important you learn techinques for doing makeup yourself. Years later I am still very good at doing my own eye makeup myself.
18 yrs ago my mother took me to the Estée Lauder counter at Macy's . The sales rep offered to do a makeover. She did a sales pitch as she applied each product. I ended up buying all the products and left with a complete made up face too.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
Which brands are better for young and which for older?
benefit and tarte are very good for younger, Chanel and Trisha mcevoy are great for older.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 9:28 pm
You say your skin is problematic - is it dry or do you have some adult acne?

I would concentrate on a line that has good foundation for problem skins with a nice selection of foundations for the makeup artist (MUA) to use.

MAC foundations are great and they have a good variety. Lancome also has good selection of great foundations. I've used both.

Are you going to make an appointment or just pop in?

If you are going to pop in and hope someone is free, I would pick a woman whose makeup I like. If the make up is not to my taste, then chances are I am not going to like the end result. The exception to my rule (ha ha) is if it is a very trendy makeup artist and then I assume that it is "their" look and they will produce a great look when I tell them what I am aiming for. I am thinking more of some of the older woman with very fake makeup which I really don't like.

I like MAC cosmetics a lot and they have a good range of foundations ranging from very cover up almost stage type of foundation to minimal coverage. And of course a good range of eye shadows, blushers and lip products.

I like Bobbi Brown a lot for every day look - great natural looking products.

But really it's the MUA artist and not the product that is going to make the significant different in terms of someone doing makeup for you.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
You say your skin is problematic - is it dry or do you have some adult acne?

I would concentrate on a line that has good foundation for problem skins with a nice selection of foundations for the makeup artist (MUA) to use.

MAC foundations are great and they have a good variety. Lancome also has good selection of great foundations. I've used both.

Are you going to make an appointment or just pop in?

If you are going to pop in and hope someone is free, I would pick a woman whose makeup I like. If the make up is not to my taste, then chances are I am not going to like the end result. The exception to my rule (ha ha) is if it is a very trendy makeup artist and then I assume that it is "their" look and they will produce a great look when I tell them what I am aiming for. I am thinking more of some of the older woman with very fake makeup which I really don't like.

I like MAC cosmetics a lot and they have a good range of foundations ranging from very cover up almost stage type of foundation to minimal coverage. And of course a good range of eye shadows, blushers and lip products.

I like Bobbi Brown a lot for every day look - great natural looking products.

But really it's the MUA artist and not the product that is going to make the significant different in terms of someone doing makeup for you.

Thanks so much for responding. Yes I know its up to the artist but that I have no choice. I do plan on visiting the counters in advance to see whats offered.

My skin is more discolored such that I have redness on my cheeks area and am not one color all over, so I need good coverage. Plus, my undereye area needs good coverage.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:25 am
I discovered Becca under eye brightening corrector and it’s the best for under eye darkness. I have light skin so I get the one for light skin which has a peach tone and then set it with the Becca powder.

I like the Dermablend camo mousse foundation. I apply with a stippling brush from MAC and a beauty blender sponge and it gives me great coverage without looking masky. I also like the Fenty foundation which gives good coverage but natural.

I’ve had good luck with MAC makeup artists. I am not wedded to MAC cosmetics but I think their makeup artists are less hit or miss than other brands. I think they tend to hire professional makeup artists versus other brands which may just be salespeople with no special training. Bobbi Brown also seems to have knowledgeable help.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics