Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Why do we value people based on their Job??
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:20 am
The thread "Can I take this job?" got me thinking..
Why do we care so much what other think about our job? It's almost as if our entire value is determined by the work we do..

I have this problem as well, and am stuck in an unfulfilling job just because a job I'd like would not be as "prestigious." Why do people assign value based on what someone does for a living? And who determines those value tags? Why do many of us all of a sudden look at a person differently when we hear they have a PHD or they are a lawyer? Why does it garner our respect? Does that person become a better person just because he/she has that title

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:23 am
Why do I get better attention from email reciepients when I use my work email showing a c-level title? Because too often the world judges based on externals.

Last edited by 1091 on Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:31 am
None of this impresses me in the slightest, other than to say that if someone is a doctor, good for them, they worked hard.

If someone discovers something new, starts something new, uses sheer will power and endurance to create something, that impresses me. But then, it's their middah that I'm impressed with, not an attribute like intelligence, or a degree.

I have one of those "impressive" sounding degrees. I go out of my way to avoid mentioning my work when I'm in social situations, because there is a certain reaction I get. I think it comes from insecurity.

agreer

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:50 am
because we assume that someone who has a great job put in effort to get there - so we respect him/her. I think that's a valid reason to respect someone.

For example...ALL things being equal, Janitor Vs. Doctor. Doctor is more respected.

However... if you have a cruel doctor and the most good-hearted janitor, of course the janitor should be more respected.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:51 am
Because we worship money.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
Why do we care so much what other think about our job? It's almost as if our entire value is determined by the work we do..

I have this problem as well, and am stuck in an unfulfilling job just because a job I'd like would not be as "prestigious." Why do people assign value based on what someone does for a living? And who determines those value tags? Why do many of us all of a sudden look at a person differently when we hear they have a PHD or they are a lawyer? Why does it garner our respect? Does that person become a better person just because he/she has that title

Out of respect for the work they put in to get to the position they’re in. And, it would be naive to discount that fact that people respect people with money, and there is an assumption, whether right or wrong, that people with certain jobs have money.

leah233

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 11:17 am
Maya wrote:

If it were only money then if some loafer won the lottery they would immediately become a respected community member. I've seen it happen and no he didn't become respected afterwards.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 11:25 am
leah233 wrote:
If it were only money then if some loafer won the lottery they would immediately become a respected community member. I've seen it happen and no he didn't become respected afterwards.

Agree, it's not just the money. People feel intimidated by the professional degree. Maybe they over-estimate the intelligence of someone based on their degree?

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:04 pm
leah233 wrote:

I don’t think we can disregard the fact that, as a society, money is our god.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:31 pm
Maya wrote:
I don’t think we can disregard the fact that, as a society, money is our god.

Speak for yourself.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
Speak for yourself.

I’m sorry that your mind is not developed enough for you to have an understanding of what the word society means or how it operates.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:05 pm
Because very often (although not always) jobs can demonstrate qualities in a person that we admire. Someone who is a doctor or a lawyer likely had to dedicate themselves for a number of years to their studies. They are probably intelligent. They probably earn a good living. They are more likely to be well connected because they are intelligent and make a good living.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:10 pm
Maya wrote:

I agree with this. When someone hears someone is a lawyer or doctor, ppl. Value that bec they are known to make money. But, if someone is a teacher or secretary, ppl dont value it as much bec they dont make as much money. Its not just education bec if there is a business owner with no education but he is doing well then ppl value that and say "wow he is THE business owner of..."

We judge based on how much money one earns which is why the higher the income associated with a job, the more respected/value we give to that person.

Yes I fall in this trap too bec we are so focused on externals, like who has the nice clothes, who makes the fanciest simchas, who has nicest house... well, we need money for all these things. We also especially need money to have more pull to get our kids into yeshivas.etc.

Unfortunately, I feel this pressure of externals within certain communities and love when I meet ppl who are not into externals. Im at fault too.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:

For the same reason society places more worth on people who are slim.
Externals, externals, externals.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
...When someone hears someone is a lawyer or doctor, ppl. Value that bec they are known to make money. But, if someone is a teacher or secretary, ppl dont value it as much bec they dont make as much money. Its not just education bec if there is a business owner with no education but he is doing well then ppl value that and say "wow he is THE business owner of..."

Not in my world. Yes, of course there are smart, capable people with little education. However, in a community in which everyone goes to college and is generally expected to live up to their potential, the smart, capable people become very well-educated professionals. Not everyone is capable of becoming a doctor, lawyer or engineer. And the successful business owner? It takes certain skills that not everyone has to make a business work. Also admirable. And I don't know anyone who looks down on teachers (or classroom assistants) who have the knack for reaching students and the passion to do so.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:42 pm
I can only speak for myself, of course.
But I admire people that have successful jobs, whether they are a business owner or a professional b/c I admire others with self discipline, along with a lot of hard work & focused on a goal.
& that goes along with admiring a healthy, thin person as well
I don’t care about the money at all.

for everyone it’s different.- we don’t all have the same values.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:

Because we are human - we look for points of difference.

I'm in a 'world' where getting a professional degree is basically a matter of course... so I don't see this way of thinking very much. We tend to value good friends.

Take the job! The question back to you - is why do you value the perception other people may have of you over your own fulfillment?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
None of this impresses me in the slightest, other than to say that if someone is a doctor, good for them, they worked hard.

If someone discovers something new, starts something new, uses sheer will power and endurance to create something, that impresses me. But then, it's their middah that I'm impressed with, not an attribute like intelligence, or a degree.

I have one of those "impressive" sounding degrees. I go out of my way to avoid mentioning my work when I'm in social situations, because there is a certain reaction I get. I think it comes from insecurity.
I have the same problem as you. In frum circles = I downplay myself. In non religious circles = I can be who I am

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:09 am
No we don't.

Unless we look for someone with certain qualifications, or like what the job entails ("he's a surgeon he saves life").

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 6:54 am
amother wrote:
I have the same problem as you. In frum circles = I downplay myself. In non religious circles = I can be who I am

Why is your job who you are? I mean this as a general question. Why do people define themselves by what they do for a living? Your job is just one aspect of your life. There's so much more to a person than just that. it shouldn't be the definition of you.

a person's career is really just a means to an end, yet somehow, society (and I mean general society) has made it the be all end all of life. It shouldn't be this way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics