Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Where do Ima's disappear to so suddenly?
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 11  12  13  Next

etky

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:03 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Do you know her hebrew name? Do you know what happened?

Michal, as InnerMe stated.
She died of breast cancer, just over a year ago.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
FYI, Yael worked really hard (without going into specifics) to alter the landscape here. And yes, Freidasima did play a large role in all those debates. But so did many others. .

Freidasima and Magenta Yenta (and any other famous trolls) were in one class. But there were other posters who yes, were disruptive, but were genuine and seeking and I wish them well. (And if you're reading this, feel free to PM me.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:05 pm
etky wrote:
Michal, as InnerMe stated.
She died of breast cancer, just over a year ago.

If anyone had a Tehillim list, or was following threads here, bas Esther Miriam
ETA to correct name. Apologies to family.
Crying

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

keym

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:05 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Yes, I wonder too.

And hey buddy! I see I'm not the only one who finds old threads really interesting.. Wink

Some threads are chock full of drama Twisted Evil (maybe I should start a new thread) like the freidasima thread, the addition of 13 ikrim thread, and pretty recent the MY thread.

I've also read up on many past threads. Kept me awake when my baby was up the whole night eating.

But we have had our drama. MY, the series of shaitel and tichel threads.

But I think there is way more of a prevalance of another now, which takes away from the "hominess" and friendship.
When I ask for advice how to deal with my teenage daughter, I'm more inclined to take posters advice seriously if its under their screen name because I "know" them.

And its a shame that we can't get to "know" people because everything is under another.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Freidasima and Magenta Yenta (and any other famous trolls) were in one class. But there were other posters who yes, were disruptive, but were genuine and seeking and I wish them well. (And if you're reading this, feel free to PM me.)

I edited my post to show that the posters I named at the end of my thread were unrelated to the first part of my post. I don't like to point fingers... Thanks fr pointing it out in a polite way.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:10 pm
keym wrote:
I've also read up on many past threads. Kept me awake when my baby was up the whole night eating.

But I think there is way more of a prevalance of another now, which takes away from the "hominess" and friendship.
When I ask for advice how to deal with my teenage daughter, I'm more inclined to take posters advice seriously if its under their screen name because I "know" them.

And its a shame that we can't get to "know" people because everything is under another.

Ha ha we can become a club. I thought I was the only weird one doing this.

I found some of them super fascinating, almost like a suspenseful novel. It was so interesting to see the history of Imamother, different time periods, and how the landscape changed.

Also getting to "know" some of the old time posters better.

pause

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:10 pm
keym wrote:

I agree with you. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more use of amother these days.

It used to be if you used amother, you had to post an explanation for what in your post justifies being anonymous. Stating opinions was not reason enough, even if your opinion was not a common one. Only things that were truly private and location-specific were acceptable use of amother. It's gotten really pathetic to see pages upon pages of different color amothers in a thread debating hashkafa.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
I edited my post to show that the posters I named at the end of my thread were unrelated to the first part of my post. I don't like to point fingers... Thanks fr pointing it out in a polite way.

I didn't write my last post so much as a response to you as to clarify for the newbies. If I thought someone wrote something out of bounds, I usually omit it when I quote.

tf

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Hey! Absent Imamother here. Someone told me about this discussion so I decided to drop by and explain what happened to me and all the other Imamothers who suddenly disappeared.

Basically, there’s this other secret forum that’s just like Imamother, only way cooler. I can’t tell you it’s real name or else it wouldn’t be a secret. You get to be a member by invitation only and only very special Imamothers get invited. It’s not about how good your posts are, or how frequently you post - it’s about whether you have this special quality to you that only our leader, Raquel, can detect. If she sees that in you, she’ll send you an invitation to the secret forum.

Boy, do we have fun over there! We laugh together and cry together, and discuss things similar to on Imamother, but as I said it’s way cooler. I can’t tell you exactly how, because you wouldn’t understand unless you had that special quality to you that made you eligible to be a member.

Hope that clears matters up for you! Keep enjoying Imamother, and don’t feel bad that you’re not in this special, way cooler secret forum. Remember, it’s all about being in the forum that’s right for you - it’s not about being better or worse than anyone else. And also you probably wouldn’t enjoy our forum anyway (because you don’t have the special quality).

Can you please invite me? Or can Raquel invvvite me? I wonder if I qualify?

InnerMe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:21 pm
tf wrote:

Well she did say "only if you have special quality"

Apparently, you don't.

And that Ima was certainly being sarcastic. But other Imas have mentioned that there is another place for ex-Imamothers (did I just coin a word?).. sooo dunno.

I'll let the cool kids have their fun while I have mine.

Last edited by InnerMe on Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

tf

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:23 pm
I'm on or off based basically on my schedule which is sometimes more hectic than other times.
Or when I need something to do while I'm taking a break.
Or when I search something online and imamother.com shows up as one of the choices.
I leave when I finished reading and have no input to add.
I leave when the site becomes full of the same stuff over and over.
Or when all I can find is bashing or jewish politics. I'm opposed to the idea of "it's my way or the highway" attitude some people have in terms of religious beliefs.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:27 pm
tf wrote:

Mean Girls II -- Imamother

I've never been a cool kid. I'll never be a cool kid. I can't even be a Toys R Us kid anymore. I'll just drown in my own tears here.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Mean Girls II -- Imamother

I've never been a cool kid. I'll never be a cool kid. I can't even be a Toys R Us kid anymore. I'll just drown in my own tears here.

Hey, it's your party, you can cry if you want to, cry if you want to.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:51 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
I've read a LOT of old threads and it seems that Imamother was full of debate about the ikrim, OO, really controversial hashkafic things with a lot of vitriol around 2013/2014. Then a lot of vocally chareidi and anti-chareidi posters stopped posting or were banned (BlueRose52 and freidasima on one side, Isramom8 and shalhevet on the other, to name a few) and the site became a lot calmer.

Earlier on, in the shalhevet and Motek days of 2006-2009, the debates seemed to mostly be Litvish vs Lubavitch, which is hilarious now. There were a lot of Lubavitch posters that were active when the site was mostly Lubavitch that left when it broadened -- Tefila, TzenaRena.

Formerly active posters (isramom, tamiri, etc) I wonder if you'd like it more now. There are rarely any super heated hashkafic debates anymore.

So many Israeli charedi posters did leave on the backdrop of this contentious climate.
But I feel that most Israeli posters, of all hashkafic stripes, don't hang around too long or eventually become less active, because of what Zaq said- the Brooklyn-Lakewood-centricity of the site.
I think this applies especially to non-charedi Israeli posters, who may feel doubly estranged from the reigning zeitgeist here. I think that these posters are also more apt to be involved in other forms of social media too, aside from Imamother.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
FYI, Yael worked really hard (without going into specifics) to alter the landscape here. And yes, Freidasima did play a large role in all those debates. But so did many others.

Others whom I haven't seen in ages are Bamama and Chavelamommela and many more.

In general I feel that the MO presence here has been much less pronounced recently.
The MO forum is practically moribund.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:58 pm
etky wrote:
So many Israeli charedi posters did leave on the backdrop of this contentious climate.
But I feel that most Israeli posters, of all hashkafic stripes, don't hang around too long or eventually become less active, because of what Zaq said- the Brooklyn-Lakewood-centricity of the site.
I think this applies especially to non-charedi Israeli posters, who may feel doubly estranged from the reigning zeitgeist here. I think that these posters are also more apt to be involved in other forms of social media too, aside from Imamother.

That's a shame...and a vicious cycle ie. the more Israeli posters leave, the less representation, so more leave, in turn even less representation..and repeat.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:00 pm
etky wrote:
In general I feel that the MO presence here has been much less pronounced recently.

So are the yeshivish and charedi forums, for reference.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:01 pm
I don’t think this website was developed for bored people looking to debate issues....

From what I know, the intentions were to have a safe place for Frum women to gather helpful information ...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:01 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hey, it's your party, you can cry if you want to, cry if you want to.

Well, you would cry too if it happened to you.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 2:02 pm
etky wrote:

There's a MO forum?
Page 6 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics