Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you do to make Tisha B'av special?

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 2:54 pm
I was reviewing the halachot of Tisha B'Av, and it made me think:

The fast is pushed off one day this year due to Shabbat, but maybe I should do something special - personal - to note the real 9th of Av. Then again, maybe not: it's Shabbat after all.

So I'm fishing for ideas to help me capture the struggle for geulah inherent in the day.

What do you do when the fast is pushed off?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 11:24 pm
On Shabbos? I don't think it's appropriate to mourn, hence the fast is pushed off. But, we do refrain from intimacy on Shabbos I think when it is the 9th.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 11:34 pm
Mmm...I was thinking less from the angle of mourning, and more from the angle of bringing geulah. Maybe something to do with ahavat hinam? I don't think that would make me sad, but would give me something to remember the day and why we're there.

Again, I'm searching for ideas to make personal meaning out of the day, not halacha.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 11:39 pm
Rappel wrote:
Mmm...I was thinking less from the angle of mourning, and more from the angle of bringing geulah. Maybe something to do with ahavat hinam? I don't think that would make me sad, but would give me something to remember the day and why we're there.

Again, I'm searching for ideas to make personal meaning out of the day, not halacha.

maybe invite a divorcee or lonely family or widow or orphan to show ahavas yisrael? Or maybe learn hilchos shmiras halashon?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:09 am
When shabbos chazon is actually Tisha b'Av, the halacha is to wear everyday clothing. This halacha has pretty much fallen out of practice, but at the very least, you can dress down for shabbos and be aware of why you are doing it. Also, tone down the meals somewhat for a more somber feel to the day.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:29 am
amother wrote:
When shabbos chazon is actually Tisha b'Av, the halacha is to wear everyday clothing. This halacha has pretty much fallen out of practice, but at the very least, you can dress down for shabbos and be aware of why you are doing it. Also, tone down the meals somewhat for a more somber feel to the day.

in Chabad our minhag is the opposite. We go all out to make Shabbos tisha bAv nicer and more special. The Rebbe says that all inyanim of mourning are pushed off because of shabbos but not the positive aspects of tisha BAv which will be a Yom tov when moshiach comes.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
maybe invite a divorcee or lonely family or widow or orphan to show ahavas yisrael? Or maybe learn hilchos shmiras halashon?

LisaS

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:36 am
Learn about the beit hamikdash and all its grandeur. Then when we mourn on Sunday we will have an extra understanding of the loss.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 3:28 am
Thank you all for your lovely ideas!

Roots

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:43 pm
reading midrashim and stories of either the golry of the bet hamikdash or the oppsite, the horrible times of the churban with your kids if you have or with your guests/friends after the meal.
there are so many stories and medrashim that people dont know or forgot.
I wonder if the torah anthology books have a book on eicha- these boks are usually very descriptive and full of medrashim

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:30 pm
I was told not to have any guests on the shabbos of Tisha B'av.

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:25 pm
Rappel wrote:
I was reviewing the halachot of Tisha B'Av, and it made me think:

The fast is pushed off one day this year due to Shabbat, but maybe I should do something special - personal - to note the real 9th of Av. Then again, maybe not: it's Shabbat after all.

So I'm fishing for ideas to help me capture the struggle for geulah inherent in the day.

What do you do when the fast is pushed off?

What I do on Shabbos is not wear as much jewelry as usual, less makeup (from before Shabbos, of course), and less dressy clothes, to help remind me of the sadness of the nine days....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics