Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
That's it.
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 10:13 am
I can't take it anymore. I never knew how important was to have a car until I lost mine. Paying for taxis is so expensive, those racist, irresponsible, uneducated people I rely on every day, two, sometimes four times a day are driving me insane! I hate them all. Ok breath...

I can't go look for a job because the costs of childcare and taxis is so high is cheaper to just stay home.

I need advice, please.
What other corners can I cut?
What else can I do?
What am I doing wrong?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 10:25 am
If you get a job would you be able to afford a lease and chilcare? What about working from home like baby sitting? What is your husband job can he take on more hours or a second job? You can look into couponing for household good it really saves you a lot.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
If you get a job would you be able to afford a lease and chilcare? What about working from home like baby sitting? What is your husband job can he take on more hours or a second job? You can look into couponing for household good it really saves you a lot.

I've tried babysitting.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:18 am
Hi op,

I'm sorry your in this position.
What budget are you looking at that u think u need to spend 6 years to pay off a car?

Let's take it from here: how much are you currently spending on taxis? (The minimum and maximum)

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
... those racist ...

Do you often discuss race relations with taxi drivers? If not, how do you know their views?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:46 am
[quote="amother"]Hi op,

I'm sorry your in this position.
What budget are you looking at that u think u need to spend 6 years to pay off a car?

Let's take it from here: how much are you currently spending on taxis?

Each trip is between $10-$12 each way.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:50 am
imasoftov wrote:
Do you often discuss race relations with taxi drivers? If not, how do you know their views?

They complain about all the new (Jewish) business and houses being built in town, they ask why there are so many large families etc.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:53 am
Have you looked into ridesharing apps like Uber or LYFT? That may be cheaper than taxis.

Do you take the taxi to the grocery market or other stores? It may be cheaper to have groceries delivered if you haven’t checked that out yet. Amazon prime delivers groceries for free. Instacart will deliver groceries for as low as $5-$6.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:02 pm
It's hard to look at the big picture when you are just treading water.

But-

You're spending a minimum of $400 a month on taxis. You could probably lease a small car and cover gas and insurance for that amount. Or consolidate trips to cut back.

Are you or dh eligible for grants or loans that would enable you to go to school or get a certificate for some job that pays better?

Can you find a less expensive place to live?

There are free or low cost financial planners who can help you. Maybe someone here knows of an organization near you that can look at the whole picture and give you personalized advice.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a good credit score...

Each trip is between $10-$12 each way for dh and if I need to go everywhere else is the same... taking the bus doesn't really save more than a couple dollars. So we pay $20 a day minumum.

Hi,
Why do u need a good credit score?

Let's say it's minimum $20 a day, 6 days a week (I'm not counting Shabbos, but it would be more if u do)

$20 x 6 = $120 a week = $480 a month
$480 X 12 = That's $5760 a year or $11,520 for 2 years

Now let's look at a used car..
Lets say you get a car for $4000, (you can get a cheaper car as well) and budget $1000 for repairs..(may or may not need it) $500 for insurance a year..(I'm overestimating here.. I pay less than $400) and $50 a month for gas..

Let's say this car will only last you 2 years because it's an old car...

$4000
$1000
$500 x 2 years =$1000
$50 x 24 months = $1200
Total = $7200 for 2 years instead of 11,520.

Your spending way more on taxis than if you would have a car.. and remember, the number above is the minimum you are spending on taxis...

Is there a possibility of you buying a cheap used car?

Hugs! (I hope you don't take this pay the wrong way.. I am not judging you in anyway.. if u can't u cant.. I'm just trying to help, and sometimes seeing the numbers broken down helps)

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a good credit score...

Each trip is between $10-$12 each way for dh and if I need to go everywhere else is the same... taking the bus doesn't really save more than a couple dollars. So we pay $20 a day minumum.

Can he get a bike?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,
Why do u need a good credit score?

Let's say it's minimum $20 a day, 6 days a week (I'm not counting Shabbos, but it would be more if u do)

$20 x 6 = $120 a week = $480 a month
$480 X 12 = That's $5760 a year or $11,520 for 2 years

Now let's look at a used car..
Lets say you get a car for $4000, (you can get a cheaper car as well) and budget $1000 for repairs..(may or may not need it) $500 for insurance a year..(I'm overestimating here.. I pay less than $400) and $50 a month for gas..

Let's say this car will only last you 2 years because it's an old car...

$4000
$1000
$500 x 2 years =$1000
$50 x 24 months = $1200
Total = $7200 for 2 years instead of 11,520.

Your spending way more on taxis than if you would have a car.. and remember, the number above is the minimum you are spending on taxis...

Is there a possibility of you buying a cheap used car?

Hugs! (I hope you don't take this pay the wrong way.. I am not judging you in anyway.. if u can't u cant.. I'm just trying to help, and sometimes seeing the numbers broken down helps)

Thank you for taking the time to do the math, seriously, thank you.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:31 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Can he get a bike?

A bike for 4 people?

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:35 pm
there are no money down leases.

why does he need a bike for 4 people to get himself to and from work? what am I missing?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:37 pm
rachel6543 wrote:
Have you looked into ridesharing apps like Uber or LYFT? That may be cheaper than taxis.

Do you take the taxi to the grocery market or other stores? It may be cheaper to have groceries delivered if you haven’t checked that out yet. Amazon prime delivers groceries for free. Instacart will deliver groceries for as low as $5-$6.

I do get free deliveries on groceries. Uber does not take cash.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:39 pm
You can purchase Uber gift cards to use as payment. That way, you wouldn't need a credit card.

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
A bike for 4 people?

A bike for him to get to and from work and/or anywhere else he goes by himself that would eliminate the need for a taxi. He can put a basket on and can get groceries that way as well if your grocery store doesn't deliver for free.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:42 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
there are no money down leases.

why does he need a bike for 4 people to get himself to and from work? what am I missing?

My mistake. I guess we could get one.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
A bike for 4 people?

No a bike for one person with a baby seat in the back. If you have one bike each with one baby seat in the back that works.
I don't have a car , can't afford one. We all have bikes. We do grocery shopping with the bike. There are special bikes aswell where 2 kids can sit in the front or you can get special carriages that can be attached to the bike.
20 dollars a day for taxis is A LOT.
Of course you don't have any money. If I took taxis instead of my bike I'd be begging for food in the streets. Plus biking is healthy and it's exercise.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
You can purchase Uber gift cards to use as payment. That way, you wouldn't need a credit card.

I have used them. I buy gift cards all the time.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics