Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you shower during the 9 days?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:06 pm
It seems that even though Halacha says one shouldn’t shower during the 9 days, most people are showering. Why is that??

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:10 pm
I shower before Shabbos.

I also shower if I am sweaty and going to be around other people (aside for my kids), for the sake of Ahavas Yisroel. If I do shower, I do so more briefly and using water that is colder than my preference.

There are also (I believe) opinions that a shower of nowadays is not the bathing forbidden in the Nine Days.

simba

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:10 pm
Why are you asking? Do whatever works for you and your family in conjunction with the halachic authority you follow. What and why everyone else does is not really relavent.

potatoes

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:13 pm
Yes I shower, my cleanliness effects me and my family, and my sanity.
Make it short quick and to the point, but don't skip any steps!

tachles

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:24 pm
Yes, Sephardim shower in cold water shavoa shekhal bo, the wk of 9 ba’v, and hot water the 9 days that aren’t the week the 9bav fall.
This year 9bav is pushed off to Sunday so showering and laundering are business as usual over here.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:28 pm
Just left the mikvah, so definitely yes!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:28 pm
I shower just as frequently as I would at any other time, I just don't linger for the pleasure of it.

The law comes from a very different time when people were showing once a week or even less frequently. So it was basically, "don't schedule your shower during those 9 days." It was skip 1 shower (bath, actually) at most, not skip 9+.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 12:59 am
Up until like 5 years ago we did not only for shabbos but Rav Wosner had told said that since we jews work between non-jews todays days it would be a disgrace if we were dirty so we take showers like if it's necessary. Were chasidish if that makes a huge difference. My yeshivish cousins do not take showers only for shabbos and my sfardi cousins wash laundry and take showers.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:09 am
If I need it, I do one limb at a time with lukewarm water. I try to avoid washing my hair.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:16 am
I shower, try to make it uncomfortable, the water colder, and do not just linger there for pleasure.
I think of the churban every single time...more so than if I didn't shower at all.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:52 am
No, I don't shower in the 9 days. Mourning for a week is the least I can do in commemoration of the churban.

I know some poskim allow it but ours doesn't. It helps that I'm not exceptionally sweaty nor do we live in tropical climate.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:45 am
I shower, doing it for hygiene not for pleasure and keep the temperature cooler than usual.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:57 am
Halacha says not to BATH it doesn't say ine shouldn't wash or shower!!!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:01 am
I shower but keep the water cool enough that I don't want to stand under it.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:18 am
I shower, but not every day, and not for pleasure. I learned that nowadays, when people bathe daily, it would make Judaism look bad if we all didn't shower for nine days.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:28 am
I literally (in all my years of RW/BY schools and camps) that you can't shower. I learned that you can't do so for pleasure. Showering for me is a functional activity. Wash off the summer day that was and go to bed.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:57 am
I don't have baths. (I love having baths so I really miss this) I do have quick showers. Unless I need to go to mikvah of course.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
I shower just as frequently as I would at any other time, I just don't linger for the pleasure of it.

The law comes from a very different time when people were showing once a week or even less frequently. So it was basically, "don't schedule your shower during those 9 days." It was skip 1 shower (bath, actually) at most, not skip 9+.

I agree with you that the law comes from a very different time and things are different. That being said, if we applied that logic many things we don't do would actually be permissible. Even eating meat during the 9 days. Many years ago it was a huge deal to slaughter a cow and eat its meat for a week. These days it's obviously different. Meat is not nearly as chashuv as it was hundreds of years ago. Another example is toiveling.I think the original reason we toival keilim was so that the Jews in those days should only buy keilim from other Jews and avoid the hardship of having to toivel. This doesn't apply today. Even keeping 2 days of yomtov (I really don't understand this one) shouldn't apply. Back then the calendar wasn't clear and we weren't sure which day was yomtov so we kept 2 days. These days it is entirely known which days are yomtov yet we still keep 2 days as tradition even though the reason for keeping 2 days no longer applies.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
I agree with you that the law comes from a very different time and things are different. That being said, if we applied that logic many things we don't do would actually be permissible. Even eating meat during the 9 days. Many years ago it was a huge deal to slaughter a cow and eat its meat for a week. These days it's obviously different. Meat is not nearly as chashuv as it was hundreds of years ago. Another example is toiveling.I think the original reason we toival keilim was so that the Jews in those days should only buy keilim from other Jews and avoid the hardship of having to toivel. This doesn't apply today. Even keeping 2 days of yomtov (I really don't understand this one) shouldn't apply. Back then the calendar wasn't clear and we weren't sure which day was yomtov so we kept 2 days. These days it is entirely known which days are yomtov yet we still keep 2 days as tradition even though the reason for keeping 2 days no longer applies.

The halachos of aveilus for the churban are miderabbanan, which means that we do them even if the reasons don't apply but we can still say "the reason doesn't apply anymore." The halachos of tevilas keilim, as we just read last week, are straight from the Torah. Are you saying that you are privy to Hashem's "original" reasons for the mitzvos?

As for the 2nd day of Yom Tov, I wrote a whole paper on that back in 12th grade and it is a complex topic. The gemara explicitly says (in the beginning of Beitzah if memory serves) "minhag avoseinu b'yadeinu" and interestingly the Chasam Sofer says the 2nd day of Yom Tov was a communal neder and has the status of a d'oraisa.

Please do not make such speculations if you are not thoroughly versed in what is a d'oraisa, what is a d'rabbanan, and how the halachic process works.

Last edited by SpottedBanana on Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeanette

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:16 am
amother wrote:

Toiveling kelim is m'doiraysa. Not so for your other examples.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions