Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Neighbor putting his trash bags in others cans, what to do?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:33 pm
Unanswered question: Why do people want to use other peoples trash cans?

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:36 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

So they don't have to drag their bins back and forth from the curb for collection.

So they don't get fined for putting recycling in the regular garage.

So they don't have to clean up messes from animals getting in.

I'm sure there are other reasons...

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:39 pm
You can always try this:
Get a coiled spring that's big enough to be weighted down by the trash can cover. Put a neon sign that says: Keep Out of my Trash Can on it. It should pop open when the guy opens the cover.
And if you're watching by the window, have fun Smile
Just part of a wild imagination. I was gonna write, put some kind of sticky substance on the coil, but then it would backfire when you open it. ha ha

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:41 pm
not as bad as op situation.....
But-Omg I’m living with pigs who leave up to 2/3 garbage bags in the hallway near the door, directly in our way (shared hallway). It’s a stinkin mess. Let’s not even think about the bikes/folding carriage/boxes there as well... it’s loads of fun trying to find our footing as we pass
And when we nicely asked them to keep it decent we were told “this is how the community does it and we cud move away if we don’t like it”. That week they put out 4 garbages just to show us(ftr we r looking to move... not so simple!!)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:47 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

OP here. I assume if they do it when they have empty garbage cans, its because hey have less to shlep on the twice weekly collection days, I guess.

Or its just the good feeling some people get when they pull something over someone and they get away with it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
So they don't have to drag their bins back and forth from the curb for collection.

So they don't get fined for putting recycling in the regular garage.

So they don't have to clean up messes from animals getting in.

I'm sure there are other reasons...

The bold: People can't be bothered to move their bins anymore?! Banging head
And people are too lazy to sort the recycling into regular garbage when there is a law against it so that somebody else will pick up the fine and pay it?!

This is gezel and a few more aveirot I guess... I would most certainly lock my bin from day one!

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:45 pm
Can I say something radically different?

If you're not confrontational, and can't ask him nicely if he could stop using yours. . .

Try not to let it bother you. Think of it as a chesed you're doing for someone else. If it's simply you noticing them putting garbage in your cans and they're heavy, then lucky for you you have strength to carry them!

At the end of the day, it's not the biggest deal. Let it roll off your bag and ask Hashem for the strength to forget about it bothering you.

All you other amothers that are dealing with open garbage messes everywhere, that's upsetting, but it doesn't sound like what the OP is dealing with.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:35 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Can I say something radically different?

If you're not confrontational, and can't ask him nicely if he could stop using yours. . .

Try not to let it bother you. Think of it as a chesed you're doing for someone else. If it's simply you noticing them putting garbage in your cans and they're heavy, then lucky for you you have strength to carry them!

At the end of the day, it's not the biggest deal. Let it roll off your bag and ask Hashem for the strength to forget about it bothering you.

All you other amothers that are dealing with open garbage messes everywhere, that's upsetting, but it doesn't sound like what the OP is dealing with.

Don't agree with you. It's using someones private item without asking for permission.
If I do a huge clean out of my house and need to throw many garbage bags and my neighbor throws his things too leaving me without space, how can that be fair?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:43 pm
I'm sorry imorethanamother, if you're saying it's not a big deal, I guess you where never in this situation. It is a big deal! If neighbors use my cans, there's no place for my trash. Garbage spills in the cans & I'm the one that has to clean it. Let's not mention that the neighbors are usuing my private cans... sorry it is a big deal.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:44 pm
Your neighbor is trespassing and is liable.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:56 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Don't agree with you. It's using someones private item without asking for permission.
If I do a huge clean out of my house and need to throw many garbage bags and my neighbor throws his things too leaving me without space, how can that be fair?

Okay, that's what happening with you, and that's difficult. But the OP never said anything about not having enough space. It just bothered her that this guy isn't lugging his garbage cans to the curb and back, and instead using other people's.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry imorethanamother, if you're saying it's not a big deal, I guess you where never in this situation. It is a big deal! If neighbors use my cans, there's no place for my trash. Garbage spills in the cans & I'm the one that has to clean it. Let's not mention that the neighbors are usuing my private cans... sorry it is a big deal.

You're not the OP, am I right? The OP asked what to do in a situation where they sorta suspected someone was adding trash, but weren't sure. She didn't say that she was cleaning up spills or there was no space for her trash.

In your situation, what did you do? Sounds awful.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:43 pm
I posted before that I put our trash cans behind a locked fence.

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:04 pm
Quote:
It's using someones private item without asking for permission.
Well, you could try to be like the Chofetz Chaim who ran after the thief to tell him it's a gift.

maidale

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:13 pm
or you could put your trash in their cans.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:51 pm
We used to have it all the time . By us they only pick up the trash once EVERY OTHER WEEK !!! Yesr 2 weeks with smelly bags in our overloaded bins .
And whenever we went away one of the neighbours used to use our bins so when we came back our bins were full to the top and no place to put in our bags anymore .
And think about the hot summer days ...
And the animals ...

These people who do it out selfish and talking to them won't help .

Just adding to the vent

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:55 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I was forced to do it a few times when I realized that a neighbor was going through my garbage and taking it back to the house after I had put it by the curb. He was harassing us and this was just part of it. I had no choice but to "hide" my garbage from him and use someone elses. He has since moved and I no longer have deal with the craziness.
Op, your neighbor may be going through the same thing. Ask him if everything is ok and if he needs help dealing with the garbage then decide how to deal with it.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:49 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I know someone who does this. If she sees people are watching, she'll even take the garbage into her car and drive to a place she knows there will be a dumpster or large can, like outside a specific business or near a public park.

She definitely has an undiagnosed mental and or developmental disorder and that's the real reason she does this, no matter what her excuse is.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:53 pm
Reminds me that every erev pesach a large dumpster is placed in our little dead end. People from all over come dump their garbage there. It fills up very fast. People come & see it's full & the just dump their trash on the sidewalk in front of our house!! Our block becomes one huge dumpster. I started giving a big piece of my mind to anyone we saw doing this & it was fun to watch them walking away like they don't know what hit them.....

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:33 pm
We have ppl dump their trash (in or out of bags) at my curb.
It leaves a huge mess & opens us to fines from the city.
Posted signs make no difference.
Not sure what to do but it's very aggravating.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries