Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Neighbor putting his trash bags in others cans, what to do?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:15 pm
I have seen this a few times- people dragging old furniture or big garbage and placing it in front of stores on Friday nights! Poor store owners get tickets for a violation they did not do.

Op, I am sorry this is happening to you. Can you put a small lock on the garbage/ lid so you only open with a key? How often does this happen?

To the poster that is living with a horrible dirty messy neighbor- I really feel sorry for you!!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
I live in BP, and twice a week we have to move our garbage to the curb for pickup.

For years DH suspected that we have way too much garbage for the amount of people we are. He says someone must be putting their garbage into our cans.

This Shabbos afternoon I was sitting on my porch and I see a neighbor who carries on Shabbos, carrying out of his house a huge black trash bag and looking straight at me and noticing Im on the porch. So, he walks a few houses away and puts his huge full garbage bag in a Shul garbage can.

Im putting 2 and 2 together and Im almost sure, had I not been on the porch that huge bag would have been put in our cans.

I assume this person doesnt like shlepping heavy cans to the curb twice a week so he throws his garbage in other peoples cans so they'll do the heavy shlepping. I could see from where I was sitting that his cans were empty.

What can we do?

I had the same problem, only my neighbor didn’t deny it! They don’t own their own recycling cans (they’re too cheap)so she’d put all her recyclables in my can! When I asked her not to do it, she said, “So what do you expect me to do?!” I was shocked and had to hold myself in from saying: BUY YOUR OWN CANS! Can’t believe people can be like this,,,,

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
We see our neighbor putting bags into our cans all the time. (We have camera)

Several requests for them to stop went ignored.
There isn’t anything else I can do really...

Sure there is, you can report them to 311.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
I had the same problem, only my neighbor didn’t deny it! They don’t own their own recycling cans (they’re too cheap)so she’d put all her recyclables in my can! When I asked her not to do it, she said, “So what do you expect me to do?!” I was shocked and had to hold myself in from saying: BUY YOUR OWN CANS! Can’t believe people can be like this,,,,

They can designate any one of their old trash cans for recycling, and receive a free recycling sticker from 311 to put on it.
Though I'm sure they're not looking for ideas. Twisted Evil

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:36 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I have seen this a few times- people dragging old furniture or big garbage and placing it in front of stores on Friday nights! Poor store owners get tickets for a violation they did not do.

Op, I am sorry this is happening to you. Can you put a small lock on the garbage/ lid so you only open with a key? How often does this happen?

To the poster that is living with a horrible dirty messy neighbor- I really feel sorry for you!!

Thank you! Hashem will help

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 10:18 pm
So I have a similar issue but I live in a shared building complex with a garbage chute. There are signs on each floor to not throw trash directly but to seal it in a tied garbage bag. 3 main reasons: speed of collection, less garbage floating around and then less of the sticky smelly slime mess that accumulates and attracts bugs etc. I see people dumping diapers directly in the chute. (They walked from their unit calmly "hey let me get this smell out of here" so it wasn't an emergency in the hallway) Or stuff that won't fit down.
Nothing I can do but super frustrating!!!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:25 am
I love the hashavas aveida idea . Here neighbor I thought you were missing this bag of garbage.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:30 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Trash bag woes are a real source of angst. Not to be taken lightly.
When it happens to me, I try to daven that it should be a good Kapparah.
It doesn't always do it for me though.
It's a constant battle of: is it worth it to say something or just take it in.

What?

heidi

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:55 am
Just a shout out to my wonderful block!! I've had people text me when I was away for chag to make sure it was OK to use my garbage can. And I've had a neighbor knock on my door to tell me he was going to be away for the next few weeks and if we had too much garbage to feel free to use his cans.
I cannot imagine the chutzpah of people who use your property without permision.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 7:48 am
maidale wrote:
or you could put your trash in their cans.

This! I think its the simplest solution. When your cans are full, just put into their cans.

(but you're really not 100% sure it him, unless you catch him actually putting it in.)

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:22 am
Build a trashcan-sized version of the prank where a jar of nuts contains a spring-loaded fake snake that pops out when opened.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:29 am
imasoftov wrote:
Build a trashcan-sized version of the prank where a jar of nuts contains a spring-loaded fake snake that pops out when opened.

I'd also consider leftover cholent instead of fake snakes. Or fake snakes that spew leftover cholent.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:00 am
Post a sign saying ‘this can only accepts Cholov Stam and non pas Yisroel garbage’

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:57 am
Put a sign saying you have now installed cameras and police WILL be called on anyone who uses the can without your permission for trespassing.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:13 pm
POlice? Pas yisroel garbage? Is this real?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:59 pm
In order to find out who is dumping your trash into your can, simply coat your garbage can lid with invisible red ink then you will catch that person red handed! Of course members of your own household will have to wear gloves so they won't be caught. Cheaper than installing cameras and such!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
In order to find out who is dumping your trash into your can, simply coat your garbage can lid with invisible red ink then you will catch that person red handed! Of course members of your own household will have to wear gloves so they won't be caught. Cheaper than installing cameras and such!

I'm am loving the amazing detective ideas on this thread... Op, please let us know if you implemented any of those ideas.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 5:01 pm
People who don't use their own cans usually are doing it because they don't want to pay for pick up service or fines or cans or overflow or extra.

Not okay!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:22 pm
Rochel - yes it’s real
Not sure how seriously police would take a complaint like this however there is the idea of no trespassing / restraining orders Bc of harassment
I’m america

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 7:32 pm
And how bout when people throw their dog scoop poop bags in your can? or unbagged loose drinks and food remains. ugh
tho yes op the other is really over the top
is there anyone to file a complaint with?
where do you live?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries