Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Testing God re 9 days

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:17 pm
Don't know where so many machmirim were made. On my way to test God. I'll let you know, maybe....

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:23 pm
Huh?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:37 pm
You think of you do laundry or eat meat Gd will strike you down?

That thinking doesn't allow for bechira and and is antithetical to our belief system.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:47 pm
To be totally honest, I don't want to keep anything during these 9 days. So this includes all of the above as well as not fasting for a nidcha seems almost pointless. I'm going to hope God drowns me. Then we'll both win/lose depending on which angle your perspective is.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:51 pm
Is this about the nine days or your relationship with G-d? You sound depressed. Aside from your potential situation, this time can bring that out. Almost like seasonal affect. Is there something we can do?

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
To be totally honest, I don't want to keep anything during these 9 days. So this includes all of the above as well as not fasting for a nidcha seems almost pointless. I'm going to hope God drowns me. Then we'll both win/lose depending on which angle your perspective is.

What? Are you angry, or depressed? You're not going to be drowned or suffer any physical ailment because you do an aveirah.

And if you "hope" for death, sweetie please get yourself to mental health services pronto. There is hope for you.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:

So don't. Or do. But if you're saying that you hope Gd drowns you, you might need help beyond what we can provide.

Best of luck and I hope you have a Nechama

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:54 pm
Sounds more to it then the nine days issue here. Are you okay in general? What’s going on?

heidi

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:56 pm
It's so sad that a grown woman would think of the 9 days as a punitive invention of the rabbis. I was taught that we are mourning the bet hamikdash. And if we were really mourning something we wouldn't have any desire to do the things that we have a minhag to refrain from during this time period.
Unfortunately, in our time it is very hard to truly feel the loss and the lack of something we can't even imagine. So it is hoped that these restrictions will remind us what we should really be sad about.
In my opinion if you have turned the restrictions into another example of how stifling the religion is you might as well just skip it.
You are really and very sadly missing the point.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:26 pm
"Today we cry because we don’t know what we’re crying about"
(This resonates with me since I usually can’t cry over the churban.)

The things we can’t do during the 9 days are the same things observed during the week of shiva.
Fasting on 9Av is connected, but different.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:28 pm
And please wait till next week to go swimming. There has historically been more tragedies during the 9 days than any other time in the Jewish year.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:50 pm
Iymnok wrote:
And please wait till next week to go swimming. There has historically been more tragedies during the 9 days than any other time in the Jewish year.

Not Jewish, but Ray Emery drowned yesterday. Crying Crying

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/r.....7-15/

(But forget the 9 days. Never swim alone.)

Volunteer

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:20 pm
By the way, sephardim only do "mourning" stuff on the week Tisha Bav falls. This year, it's on a Sunday, so there's no partial week of mourning at all. Somehow we are still ok.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:41 pm
Volunteer wrote:
By the way, sephardim only do "mourning" stuff on the week Tisha Bav falls. This year, it's on a Sunday, so there's no partial week of mourning at all. Somehow we are still ok.

This year it’s on shabbos, so it’s the whole week. The fast ispushed off to Sunday.
It does occur on Sunday, then there is no shavua sh'chal bo.

Brownies

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:47 pm
Iymnok wrote:
This year it’s on shabbos, so it’s the whole week. The fast ispushed off to Sunday.
It does occur on Sunday, then there is no shavua sh'chal bo.

Apparently it’s a machloket. But my Rabbi and all the other Sefardí rabbis I know hold that there is no Shavua shechal bo even when it’s nidche like this year.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:25 pm
Volunteer wrote:

But you are following your mesorah. While we may be behaving in different ways this week, we still know Tisha B'Av is coming up. We're part of the same process.

OP, I second the sincere, insightful posts above, and hope you find menucha and meaningful connections.

salt

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:02 am
Iymnok wrote:
"Today we cry because we don’t know what we’re crying about"
(This resonates with me since I usually can’t cry over the churban.)

The things we can’t do during the 9 days are the same things observed during the week of shiva.
Fasting on 9Av is connected, but different.

Just a little 'diyuk'
In shiva week, we are not prohibited to eat meat and wine.
The reason we don't eat meat and wine in the 9 days is because we no longer have the korbanot and nisuch hayayin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions