Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What can you do with a BA in Judaic Studies

dbw

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:05 pm
What can you do with a BA in Judaic Studies besides teaching?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:08 pm
dbw wrote:
What can you do with a BA in Judaic Studies besides teaching?

Do you have one - or are you considering getting one?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:33 pm
I got a ba in judaic studies but I also took the prereqs for OT school and then got a masters in OT. If you go to graduate school often it doesn't matter what you get your BA in as long as you take the necessary prereqs.

dbw

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:35 pm
I'm getting one but I could do it quickly or slowly. Trying to figure out if there's anything to rush, I.e. is it worth anything besides for teaching

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:14 pm
dbw wrote:
I'm getting one but I could do it quickly or slowly. Trying to figure out if there's anything to rush, I.e. is it worth anything besides for teaching

why are you doing it? (out of curiosity?) - if you are looking to use it to get into the work force - and you need to work, the faster the better?

most schools that offer a BA in Jewish Studies will have a blurb similar to below.

https://meltoncenter.osu.edu/c.....udies

There are also a large number of well-paying jobs within the Jewish community for which an undergraduate Jewish Studies degree is excellent preparation. These include Jewish community centers, federations, national and international Jewish organizations, Israel support organizations, Jewish education (including day and supplementary school), Jewish day and overnight camps, synagogue administration, youth group advising, and work with the elderly, to name a few. The demand for motivated employees is very high, and our former students have made successful careers in many of these fields.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 8:30 pm
when I chose my major I was reform and planning to go to HUC and become a Rabbi. By the end of college I was no longer reform but was not yet Orthodox--- I was confused.

So I went to grad school for Jewish education (UJ--- now called AJU). Got an MAEd and planned to become an educator. Got VERY ill and had to quit a job as a school principal in September. At that point I knew I'd never again get hired in education in that city again.... and didn't care. All that mattered was figuring out my health. It got figured out and in the meanwhile I turned a hobby into a business and jumped into the top 2% of my direct sales company and made a full time income working from home while having twin babies and toddlers. Then both twins got multiple diagnoses and life changed again. Now I'm in still in direct sales but stepped down from the higher levels--- I just sell the product and recruit the people---- that leaves me time on the side to do other things and make money from home without the pressure of being in charge of an entire unit.

So----100% of my time is spent dealing with my kids' needs--- med changes, doc appts, IEP meetings, etc. Another 25% of my time is spent with my direct sales business. Another 25% of my time is spent with other very part time endeavors. And basically 0% is left for housework--- lol. But I give 150%. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics