Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Was today a turning point?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:26 pm
anon for this wrote:

Trump appointed Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, and now he's chosen Brett Kavanaugh to fill Kennedy's seat. There's a lot of focus on the likelihood that he'll gut Roe v Wade, the Voting Rights Act, and the ACA, and promote the rights of corporations over those of individuals. But he wasn't on the original short list of judges presented to Trump, nor was he the first choice of most conservatives. In fact, some conservatives initially considered him an "elitist" choice.

So why was Kavanaugh chosen? Well, he's said publicly that he would reverse the ruling allowing the appointment of special counsel. He's also written that he believes that presidents should not be encumbered by criminal or civil investigations or lawsuits while in office. (This would be a new belief of his, as he was part of Ken Starr's investigation of Bill Clinton).

I assume the bolded is Kavanaugh, not Trump.
First, an opportunity to overturn Roe would have to come up.
And Kavanaugh was not a lot of conservatives' first choice. I assume he couldn't act unilaterally.

anon for this

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:39 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I assume the bolded is Kavanaugh, not Trump.
First, an opportunity to overturn Roe would have to come up.
And Kavanaugh was not a lot of conservatives' first choice. I assume he couldn't act unilaterally.

Yes, I was referring to Kavanaugh. If Kavanaugh is nominated, it will not take much time for such a case to arrive. Some states have already passed laws that will lead to Supreme Court challenges, and other states are drafting such laws. Even though he was not conservatives' first choice, there is clear precedent in his previous rulings indicating that he will vote to limit or gut Roe v Wade. And the other four conservatives one the Court have voting records indicating that they will do the same.

This article gives more detail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/po.....3936/

shiaeisen

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:12 pm
Maya wrote:
Omg enough is enough. Just shut up already.

A Democrat should only dare write the kind of posts you do, conservatives would be up in arms for days. We all heard your drivel already so many times, now go curl up in a ball somewhere and take a long nap.

Typical liberal behavior. Maligning the ones telling the truth while they spin lies, like they do to Trump! Congrats!

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:23 pm
shiaeisen wrote:
Typical liberal behavior. Maligning the ones telling the truth while they spin lies, like they do to Trump! Congrats!

Do you have any political opinions that don't include name-calling people from an opposing party? Can you provide evidence to support such opinions?

Jeanette

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:23 pm
WhatFor wrote:
And no, Jeanette. I doubt it'll be a turning point. Trump has convinced a certain subset of people that they owe their loyalty to him, not to the United States.

Remember when he said that he could shoot someone in the middle of fifth avenue and his supporters would stand behind him? I think they're convinced that supporting HIM is an actual value.

You're right, WhatFor. It wasn't a turning point then and won't be a turning point today. But at least we now know why Trump acted like a meek little hostage on world stage in front of Putin.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 3:59 am
Jeanette wrote:
You're right, WhatFor. It wasn't a turning point then and won't be a turning point today. But at least we now know why Trump acted like a meek little hostage on world stage in front of Putin.

I wish I wasn't right but here we are. If it makes you feel better, some people think that Michael Cohen's latest plea will actually be a turning point.

Some had speculated that Mueller was waiting until after the midterms to go forward, but it's also possible that was waiting until after Trump submitted his written answers to go forward with outing Manafort as uncooperative and now this allegation from Cohen. Team Trump is already arguing that even if he had done what Cohen alleges, it's all kosher. It's possible the bigger liability for Trump could be if he lied about any of this in writing to Mueller.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 8:57 am
WhatFor wrote:
I wish I wasn't right but here we are. If it makes you feel better, some people think that Michael Cohen's latest plea will actually be a turning point.

Some had speculated that Mueller was waiting until after the midterms to go forward, but it's also possible that was waiting until after Trump submitted his written answers to go forward with outing Manafort as uncooperative and now this allegation from Cohen. Team Trump is already arguing that even if he had done what Cohen alleges, it's all kosher. It's possible the bigger liability for Trump could be if he lied about any of this in writing to Mueller.

Trump says it was all very legal and very cool. So that settles it.

fmt4

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 9:12 am
shiaeisen wrote:
What’s really sad and amazing is seeing rabid snowflakes repeating the paranoid drivel they hear from CNN!

[deleted]
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics