Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Scholarship and hot lunch

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 10:36 pm
My daughter is going to be in kindergarden next year. I will be paying a little more than half of tuition. School offers the option of paying for hot lunches. I feel guilty signing up for it because I am getting a pretty decent scholarship. On the other hand it will save me a lot of time and I’m sure my daughter will eat better. Yogurts and fresh fruit and vegies add up too and Im probably talking about saving max 15 a month by brown bagging her lunch. Wwyd?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 10:37 pm
How much is the hot lunch?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 10:42 pm
I don't think the school will care. But for you: yes those single serve yogurt cups are expensive. Apple slices aren't. Or cut carrots and celery. Plus a sandwich or pasta salad.

Are you sure your math re cost is right? (under the meal plan, what is the cost per meal?)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:00 pm
The hot lunch is 55 a month. Yes I can be cheap and give her a sandwich and an apple but that’s just one day a week. She is picky and I need to pack her foods that she will eat and that can add up fast..

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:01 pm
Go for it.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
The hot lunch is 55 a month. Yes I can be cheap and give her a sandwich and an apple but that’s just one day a week. She is picky and I need to pack her foods that she will eat and that can add up fast..

not cheap. budget conscious.

So they are asking about 2.75 a meal. That's not outlandish.

If she is picky however - this meal plan may not work for you.

ecs

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:04 pm
If she is picky will she like the school lunches?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:42 pm
If you feed a hot lunch you can save $ at supper time. You can do cheaper suppers. What would she get for lunch?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:49 pm
I work in schools, and I'll say that most of the students who get hot lunch just pick at it and the rest gets thrown out. Some students actually eat a substantial amount, but they are very likely not picky eaters.

Based on that, I chose to pack my kids lunches, besides once a week pizza that I pay for. Yes, it takes time and it's somewhat aggravating to keep up with everyone's ever changing food preferences, but still, at least I know that they'll probably be eating what's in the bag.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:51 pm
I don't pay full tuition for my kids. I buy lunch for the ones that eat breakfast in yeshiva also. I send breakfast and they eat lunch. The yeshiva doesn't think I'm wasting my money on school lunch.

My friend works in the preschool. She said most kids just eat bread.

I send my DD a yogurt, slice of bread and box drink for lunch. I try to send a fruit or vegetable, but she doesn't eat it. I offered her school lunch before pesach, but DD refused. She likes a yogurt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics