Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Calling all OT's

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 5:21 am
My 9 year old DS's rebbe recommended OT for him. He can never find any of his things, his books are always falling apart, no matter how clean he was at the beginning of the day he always ends up with food all over his shirt, and his manners at the table are really bad. No matter how many times I tell him to sit in his chair and use a knife he still stands next to his chair, uses his fingers, and then wipes them on his shirt. He is always getting frustrated because his things are all over the house and he can't keep track of them.

I looked into getting him OT but he's too old to have it covered by insurance. I have no problem helping him but need ideas of what to do. What would you do for such a kid?

yaflow

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:30 am
Sounds like sensory processing, but that’s a very broad term. If you would want to pay privately there are many options. If you tell me where you’re located I could give you a recommendation

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:23 am
Thanks! I'm right near Yerushalayim.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:

I looked into getting him OT but he's too old to have it covered by insurance. I have no problem helping him but need ideas of what to do. What would you do for such a kid?

I assume you are on meuchedet because the other kupot cholim pay for older kids as well. See if it is worth your while to switch kupat cholim. leumit and klalit give until 15 and I think macabbi until 18 (check it out)

If you are going private I would recommend Esti Tekuziner - if you are interested I will look up her number.

Speak to the secretary at taazumot clinic (in the phone book) and ask what services they can offer you

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:03 pm
Yes, what you say could be signs of either weak muscles or joints in the hands/arms/shoulders and possibly elsewhere (eating with the hands, as well as standing up while doing activities that require muscle strength in the hands and shoulders (such as eating with silverware or writing) is a flag for this), or could be also be a coordination issue (dropping food on themselves, can't keep their things in order, etc. are all signs). An OT can help, though a PT may be useful as well if there is a coordination issue. Go private if you have to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics