Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Near Catskills- budget or free trips

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:24 am
We normally do a vacation with the kids at the end of every summer but are on a very tight budget this year. I have a place in the Catskills I can crash that we would be able to base out of and I’m looking for ideas for inexpensive or free day trips within an hours drive. Hiking would be ideal but I’m pregnant so don’t know how much of that I can handle. Kids ages 3-13. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:31 am
Minnewaska is a state park that has a beautiful hike, grounds and picnic area.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:04 am
Kaaterskill Falls is a great hike for all age levels. On the way there or back, stop at Emerson Kaleidoscope for the largest kaleidoscope in the world, which has cool 10-minute shows, and kids under 12 (?) are free.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:37 am
Thanks!! Keep me coming!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:19 am
Oh! You reminded me of my many wonderful summers in the country back in the day! The day camps were so low key compared to the Lakewood camps...

On of our trips was a hike through the famous Neversink river. The icy river and rapids were a thrill to us kids better than any water park. This lake runs throughout “the country” so you can catch it almost anywhere.

A very beautiful point is by the famed “four corners” down by the pizza store. (My mind is a bit fuzzy- I can’t remember the name Sad )

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:21 am
My kids never get tired from Woodridge Park !

the little ones play at the playground and swings and the big ones play with a ball, frisbee

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:31 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Oh! You reminded me of my many wonderful summers in the country back in the day! The day camps were so low key compared to the Lakewood camps...

On of our trips was a hike through the famous Neversink river. The icy river and rapids were a thrill to us kids better than any water park. This lake runs throughout “the country” so you can catch it almost anywhere.

A very beautiful point is by the famed “four corners” down by the pizza store. (My mind is a bit fuzzy- I can’t remember the name Sad )

It’s not gated off? The kids can go in and wade?

enneamom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:39 pm
The Harness Racing Museum in Goshen is free.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not gated off? The kids can go in and wade?

No. You sure can! I just googled it and it says it runs from Delaware through NY 55 miles long...!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:49 pm
Sounds great! Thanks

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:39 am
Bumping this again in case anyone has any more ideas. Thanks!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics