Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Newport, Mystic or Washington DC
1  2  Next

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:05 pm
Hi all,

We're considering a trip either to Newport (stopping for one night in CT- probably Mystic area) or Washington DC.

So far here's what I found to do. I would really appreciate any reviews from anyone who visited these places.

Mystic- Mystic Seaport
Art Museum
Submarine museum

We're not into aquariums

Newport
Touro Synague
Mansions
Cliff Walk

Washington DC
Capital
Supreme Court
Smithsonians
Library of Congress
FBI- anything to see here?
State Dept- anything to see here?
Mint

Any places to go, eat at or stay and other advice would be appreciated.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:58 pm
One night (in my opinion) is not really enough for DC. Save DC for when the weather is cold because so many of the attractions are indoors

Newport is amazing But also, 1 night is tight. Doable but tight.

Mystic is fine for one night but there's actually bit much to do. The museum is insanely expensive and if you don't like museums...:

Have you considered something closer? The Poconos would be fine For 1 night. Or even the lower Hudson valley?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:01 pm
I misread this post. In sorry

Save DC for colder weather

Try to stay in Newport for 2 nights. No need to stop in CT (IMO) since there's so much more to do in Newport

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:12 pm
thanks.

I was going to do 1 night CT, 2 nights Newport.

DC would be 3 or 4 nights.

what's there to do in Newport besides what I mentioned.

eta: We love museums. We don't like aquariums.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:23 pm
Are you going with kids? I'm not a big fan of Mystic. If just adults, Newport is great, but if you've got kids to entertain, DC will work better.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:24 pm
just a baby.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 6:39 pm
Sebastian wrote:
thanks.

I was going to do 1 night CT, 2 nights Newport.

DC would be 3 or 4 nights.

what's there to do in Newport besides what I mentioned.

eta: We love museums. We don't like aquariums.
m

You got Newport down. The mansions can keep you occupied for longer if you choose (there are so many of them) There's also fabulous fruit picking close by.

You won't go wrong with either Newport or DC

Bsimcha

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 6:57 pm
I believe mansions in Newport may not allow carriages, so if baby wearing is an option, it'll be fine. Some may allow, but there's a lot of steps.
Cliff walk is really nice if weather is good
It's boring for young kids, so going with a baby is fine, if it's your only kid, go now as mansions can be boring for kids.
There are cool places like glass blowing, candle making in Newport.
I personally found Mystic boring.

In DC, there's also:
Holocaust Museum-good to go without little kids
Newseaum-veryinterseting and fun
Spy Museum- very interesting and fun

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 6:58 pm
I was planning to bring a baby carrier so that works.

Which mansion do you recommend besides Breakers (sp?)?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 7:29 pm
They are both well worth visits but I wouldn't visit Washington D.C. in the summer because it is insanely hot and humid.

Newport is great in the summer and has enough for two or three days. I am the kind of traveler that likes to just soak in and relax - I.e. people watch rather than cram the maximum amount into a short number of days. Touring the mansions and other historic place is interesting even if you don't like museums. I think I stopped in Salem when I went to Newport but I might be confused with a trip to Cape Cod. I found Salem more interesting than Mystic.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:03 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I was planning to bring a baby carrier so that works.

Which mansion do you recommend besides Breakers (sp?)?

I enjoyed both Elms and Marble House. Also, make sure you don't miss the Touro Synagogue.

Bsimcha

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:30 pm
I don't remember which mansions, all the ones I saw were interesting.

I've been to DC in the summer, I forgot it's so hot, somehow I found it worse than NY!
In the winter, it's too cold though, best time is Fall or Spring.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:33 pm
Bsimcha wrote:
I don't remember which mansions, all the ones I saw were interesting.

I've been to DC in the summer, I forgot it's so hot, somehow I found it worse than NY!
In the winter, it's too cold though, best time is Fall or Spring.

I think DC was built on a swamp that's why it's so hot and humid

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:36 pm
I heard the swamp has been drained, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Smile

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:58 pm
doctorima wrote:
I heard the swamp has been drained, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Smile

Very Happy Very Happy

But seriously DC in the summer is no joke as the humidity can really get to you. It is definitely a worse climate than NYC.

Best time for DC is the Spring or Fall as other posted wrote - and Spring has the Cherry Blossom Festival.

salamanca

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:00 am
If I may say something about babies and mansions in Newport: when my family went 6 years ago (my youngest was 9) we went to nearly all of the mansions. Each is amazing in its own way. What was much less than amazing was the couple with the non-stop screaming baby at one of them. We simply could not hear anything of the guided tour recording we were listening to. The staff and guards said nothing to the couple. I finally had to speak up, and they eventually left. I know you will be more considerate! Smile

If you go to Newport, try to see some of the smaller mansions like Hunter House and Kingscote, not just the larger ones. Also, I don't know what is available now, but when I went, there was an amazing deal where my whole family could visit all of the mansions for just $90. So look into that.

BTW, the Mint is in Philadelphia. I've been there twice before, the last time a few years ago. Definitely a worthwhile trip. Washington, D.C. has the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. I am not sure it is still this way, but when I went last (has it really been 7 years!) you needed to get tickets in advance.

I love D.C. and have been there many times (I'm biased - I was born there!) but I ADORED our trip to Newport. In addition to the mansions and Cliff Walk, there is Fort Adams, and in Providence (maybe a 40 minute drive away) is the Culinary Arts Museum and the State Capitol Building. (My family has taken tours of a number of state capitols and that was my favorite.) In addition, not too far from Newport (in MA) there is Battleship Cove. If you love climbing all over battleships and checking out subs and destroyers, this is a must see.

There is so much to do in RI! I second the nixing of Mystic Seaport. I had researched it awhile ago myself and it just didn't seem worth the time and money. However, on the way back home, (you may wish to check out Fort Trumbull (yeah, I'm into forts!) and Fort Griswold in CT. The latter has a monument you can climb (my family is into that, too!) So if you are fort fans, fans of climbing monuments or just fans of the Revolutionary War, please consider visiting those sites.

If you do decide to go to Washington, D.C. (and, yes it can be very uncomfortable, weather-wise; try to do outdoor things like monuments and memorials early or late in the day) please consider visiting Arlington National Cemetery, and if you have time, Mount Vernon [George Washington's home] in nearby VA. We very much enjoyed visiting both (the latter was a much larger investment of our time - we were there all day.)

You can't go wrong with Washington or Newport!

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:41 am
DC ...VERY HOT !!!!! And with all thats going on these days.... Stressful

Newport ... So so, I guess

Mystic ..... very enchanting and relaxing

jkw

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:53 am
A special place near Newport is BLITHEWOLD. It's a "family" mansion with gardens. They welcome picniking on the grounds.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:47 am
We really liked mystic and Newport. DC is great too, but you can go with older kids.

rgr

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:01 am
So the mansions in Newport are not stroller friendly?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics