Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you read the whole megila of recipes on blogs?

What do you usually read on recipe blogs?
everything  
 6%  [ 3 ]
just the recipe  
 87%  [ 43 ]
don't get my recipes from online/don't use recipes/don't cook  
 2%  [ 1 ]
other  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:35 am
This is kind of a spinoff of what someone mentioned on the children on social media thread and I was thinking about it the other day.

Exactly what I wrote. Do you read the whole megila of recipes on blogs or only the recipes?

I'm making a poll because the other poll has been there for awhile and we need something new, don't you think Smile ?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:38 am
I don't follow food blogs, but I do go to them occasionally.
I'm in the middle of a fascinating book (warning: language) called Buttermilk Graffiti about a Korean-American chef who lives in KY doing a road trip and writing on different cuisine and the evolution of recipes. (At the beginning of the book he say that he will include no pictures though you can find them on Pinterest/his website.)
When I do see a recipe, I'll read the backstory. Usually.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:41 am
FRankly? Depends if I'm interested in the blogger or enjoy the style.

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:09 am
I do. I also like to read cookbooks for enjoyment. I think the little personal blurbs are part of the charm.

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:15 am
I have absolutely no interest in reading the background of the recipe or viewing pictures of the ingredients at various stages of the cooking. I’d love to see more blogs that put the recipe first and then the life story later for whoever wants it, but I guess I’m in the minority. I’m grateful there are so many recipes online, though.

zaq

Post Sat, Jul 21 2018, 11:38 pm
Well, daagahminayin, that makes two of us.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:17 am
daagahminayin wrote:
I have absolutely no interest in reading the background of the recipe or viewing pictures of the ingredients at various stages of the cooking. I’d love to see more blogs that put the recipe first and then the life story later for whoever wants it, but I guess I’m in the minority. I’m grateful there are so many recipes online, though.

Between the 30 people that voted, you certainly are not the odd one out. I also only read the recipes. I don't follow any blogs.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:23 am
daagahminayin wrote:

I use Google to look up recipes or to figure out what to do with specific ingredients. I find it annoying when I have to read a whole drasha to get to the recipe. I agree they should put the recipe on top and the whole story after for those who are interested.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:47 am
Huge pet peeve of mine is sifting thru the whole story. half the time it hardly has any connection to the recipe at all.
Perhaps I'd not mind as much if there was a real connection or family history behind the recipe.
I recently saw a cookbook that had this type of blog format & it really turned me off.
Otherwise it really annoys me.
Along with my other recipe blog pet peeve of "basing a recipe" off someone else's and making only minute changes to the original but calling it their own.

Brownies

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 10:06 am
zaq wrote:
Well, daagahminayin, that makes two of us.

Me three. I don’t mind a line or two but find it really annoying to have to sift through any more than that to get to the recipe.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 10:28 am
I absolutely read cookbooks for fun (when I go to a friend’s house for the first time, I gravitate to the cookbook shelf), but I usually want tachlis when I’m looking up a recipe online.

I’m sure putting the Megillah up front allows for better ad revenue/search engine optimization etc.

There are a few cookbooks that got too bloggy for me and drove me up the wall, though... I don’t want to see photos of your kids making challah and smiling in your kitchen among artfully, meticulously arranged almost-believable dirty dishes and randomly posing on your couch (in the clothes provided by Frum Boutique listed in your sponsor index at the end) uuugggghhhhh... alternatively, I’m not interested in pages and about your travels through France or India and your voyage of self-discovery through food... a paragraph or three is super fun and interesting, but cookbooks that double as travel journals or insta-perfect “photo journalism” family albums are not my cup of tea...

sky

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:09 am
I don't follow any specific blog. I search for a recipe. And the scroll to the ingredient list.

If the page takes too long to load I move on.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:14 am
bigsis144 wrote:

There are a few cookbooks that got too bloggy for me and drove me up the wall, though... I don’t want to see photos of your kids making challah and smiling in your kitchen among artfully, meticulously arranged almost-believable dirty dishes and randomly posing on your couch (in the clothes provided by Frum Boutique listed in your sponsor index at the end) uuugggghhhhh... alternatively, I’m not interested in pages and about your travels through France or India and your voyage of self-discovery through food... a paragraph or three is super fun and interesting, but cookbooks that double as travel journals or insta-perfect “photo journalism” family albums are not my cup of tea...

Lol!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:21 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I absolutely read cookbooks for fun (when I go to a friend’s house for the first time, I gravitate to the cookbook shelf), but I usually want tachlis when I’m looking up a recipe online.

This.

SisterSix

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:13 pm
In the spirit of this thread, I didn't bother reading thru it before responding. It's very liberating
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics