Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Feeling funny not to fast tisha bav
1  2  3  Next

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:10 am
I am bh early on in pregnancy and my Dr doesn't want me fasting. I will speak to my rav soon but it's a strange feeling not to fast tisha bav.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:14 am
Interesting that your Dr. didn't want you to fast. They usually don't have a problem with it. What did he say the issue was? Dehydration?
I am in early pregnancy as well and my Rav told me that I should try but can break it if I get nauseous. Which is inevitable!

Good luck and don't worry about it. Go with whatever your Rav and Dr. say is best for you.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:17 am
I was pg with DD 20 years ago and like this year, it was a Nidcha. My Rav told me to fast until chatzos, then make Havdalah and eat.

Burgundy, I don't know where you get that....There definitely are situations where a woman should not fast during pg. I have an aunt who lost a pg due to fasting. My sister is a doctor and she told me she has patients who lost pg's the day after. Follow your doctor/Rav's advice, OP, and keep safe. Especially a year like this one where there's more room to be meikil because of Nidcha.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:21 am
Two summers ago when I was pregnant it was also a nidcha. It wasn’t even a question- of course I wasn’t fasting!

Last summer while nursing my Rav said I can break it o need too. BH fasted the whole thing.

This Tisha Bav I’m on 😉! (Wish me luck, haven’t fasted since Yom Kippur!)

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:42 am
I'm nursing and was told only to fast in the evening

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:55 am
When pregnant or nursing I never fast tishu b'av, even if it's not a nidcha. I just feel too sick for a week following! There's nothing to feel funny about, many many women won't be fasting.

amother
Violet

In 1st trimester, nauseous all the time, Rav said to eat as soon as I don't feel well. Feels very weird, yeah.

amother
Burlywood

I've never fasted on Tisha bav when I was pregnant. But when I had a miscarriage on yom kippor I hemmoraged and needed a d&c done. My rav told me to just listen to whatever the Dr. Says regarding the fast. Of course they made me break my fast they kept on giving me liquids without a Shir. I didn't really eat much food because I was very weak. I had this really horrible feeling, not so much right then but after Y'K it was constantly bothering me. But then I continuously told myself that I didn't choose this and this is what hashem wanted from me. When you listen to Das torah you shouldn't feel guilty. B'h you're doing it for a good reason and not chas Vasholom because your sick.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:46 am
I’m two months postpartum, and my baby is still having trouble gaining weight. My Rav said to fast at night, and break it if I have trouble with my supply or if I’m very thirsty. He said I shouldn’t fast at all during the day.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:48 am
I had a baby not too long ago. Without a second's hesitation, the Rav said I don't have to fast. I think that's because it's a nidcha.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:07 am
I don't fast ever. Not even yom kippur. It is very, very weird for me. But that is why I ask a Rav (a Rav actually heard about my post fast hospital visits and said I cant fast anymore). I just remind myself that Hashem is the one who created this situation for me, and if a Rav told me not to fast it's off my head. I try to take advantage of not fasting and use my strength for learning about the day, davening, etc.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:11 am
smileforamile wrote:
I had a baby not too long ago. Without a second's hesitation, the Rav said I don't have to fast. I think that's because it's a nidcha.

my baby was born 8th of Av - also a Friday that year. Rav called my husband to tell him that I didn't need to fast.. I didn't think it was even a shaila...

Unfortunately I struggled the whole day getting baby to eat...

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:15 am
My doctor said they dont like when their patients fast and since its a nidche this year she would tell me not to fast... she said if I want I can start fasting and if I dont feel well I should please break it right away.
My husb asked a rav he said I should start fasting and if I feel dizzy or weak or dont feel well I should break it and eat like any other day.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:48 am
I broke my fast once on tisha bav. it was also a nidche, I was pregnant and had gallstones and I was told fasting could bring on an attack.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:54 am
It is weird. I had an issue with a pregnancy during a nidche too. But I didn't feel any conflict. Hashem had clearly put me in this situation. (Anyone have a link to the story of Rav Zishe and Rav Elimelech in the dungeon? Tongue Out )

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:39 pm
I was in the middle of an HG pregnancy last summer and already on IV fluids for weeks to keep me from getting dehydrated. Of course it wasn't even a question that I shouldn't fast on 9 Av. I remember my brother saying he was jealous that I wasn't fasting and I told him that he was going to eat more to break his fast than I was going to manage to eat all day. It did feel weird not to fast, but I was so miserable I hardly noticed.

This year I'm exclusively nursing and since I'm prone to getting dehydrated and it's a nidche, the rav told me not to fast. I think this year will feel even stranger not fasting because I can eat and drink normally which I couldn't do last year. But I will try to listen to Eicha on my computer and think about the reasons for the day while I'm busy occupying my kids. And I volunteered to help another mother with her kids since she does have to fast and I know how hard that is.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:44 pm
My Rav said I should not fast at all and that I should make havdalah on motzai Shabbos, drink the grape juice and eat. He then mentioned to call back before Yom Kippur too. Im post partum and still within the 30 days and nursing.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:45 pm
I had a baby erev tisha b'av so didn't fast that year. It was a nidche and then I found out no one else was fasting either. This year I'm nursing and was told to fast until chatzos.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 1:57 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My Rav said I should not fast at all and that I should make havdalah on motzai Shabbos, drink the grape juice and eat. He then mentioned to call back before Yom Kippur too. Im post partum and still within the 30 days and nursing.

Mazel tov!
Wait, I think I knew this ;-D

clowny

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 2:17 pm
Op, I was in very early pregnancy on Yom Kippur. When I asked my doctor about fasting she said she won’t tell me an outright no since she respects our religion and she undersdsands what Yom Kippur is all about, but she said she doesn’t support it. I spoke to my rav about it and he said to break my fast with shiur if I don’t feel good. Bh I felt good and fasted all day. I am now 2 months postpartum and nursing, I will iy”h fast. Op definitely talk to your rav, Tishei bav is easier than Yom Kippur especially this year when it’s a nidcha.
Good luck.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note