Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Infant BM
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 6:52 am
My baby is 3 weeks old and only poops about once a week. When he goes it's massive. My ped isn't concerned. Has anyone else ever experienced such infrequent BMs in a baby that small?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 6:57 am
It’s normal if you’re breastfeeding.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 7:03 am
Iymnok wrote:
It’s normal if you’re breastfeeding.

So according to the LC in the hospital (he's been doing this since birth) one bm a week only becomes 'normal' at about 5-7 weeks and up until then infants should have at least 3 bms in 24 hours. It's silly to be worried when the ped isn't but I can't help it Rolling Eyes

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 7:09 am
One a day is the norm, but some breastfed babies save it up for a few days. A week seems long, but my babies never did it, so I’m not an expert.
Ask the doctor when to be concerned.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 7:36 am
I would be worried if he is constipated (if it's a drop thicker it is constipated for a baby). Or if he makes lot's of smelly gas. If he has stomachache. If he cries when he poops.
If he is relaxed than I wouldn't be worried

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I would be worried if he is constipated (if it's a drop thicker it is constipated for a baby). Or if he makes lot's of smelly gas. If he has stomachache. If he cries when he poops.
If he is relaxed than I wouldn't be worried

He's definitely not constipated, he has smelly gas but he's pretty relaxed in general.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 12:16 pm
Smelly gas happens when the poop sits there waiting to come out. That's why the gas smells so bad.
Remember that a baby constipated is different than a child or grown up being constipated. Babies poop is supposed to be very very soft! If it's not very soft than he is constipated (normal poop of a baby would be diarrhea for us... you can't compare really)

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
Smelly gas happens when the poop sits there waiting to come out. That's why the gas smells so bad.
Remember that a baby constipated is different than a child or grown up being constipated. Babies poop is supposed to be very very soft! If it's not very soft than he is constipated (normal poop of a baby would be diarrhea for us... you can't compare really)

His poop is basically liquid with some little grainy things in it

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 1:39 pm
My breastfed baby did not have a bowel movement from when he was 4 weeks old until 7 weeks old- 20 days! He did not seem to be in any pain and pediatrician said it was totally fine. He passed a lot of gas though during those 20 days.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
My breastfed baby did not have a bowel movement from when he was 4 weeks old until 7 weeks old- 20 days! He did not seem to be in any pain and pediatrician said it was totally fine. He passed a lot of gas though during those 20 days.

Wow! That's a lot of days!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is 3 weeks old and only poops about once a week. When he goes it's massive. My ped isn't concerned. Has anyone else ever experienced such infrequent BMs in a baby that small?

yup. we did.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 2:35 pm
One of my kids had the same thing. Turns out he had FPIES, which is a rare allergy disease. I am not suggesting that your kid has the same, ch"v, but when you do try foods, please don't try rice, oat, or chicken first, which can kill a kid with FPIES.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 2:53 pm
It can be normal in a nursig baby. One of my went like clockwork every 8th day and ALWAYS overflowed

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 2:54 pm
By my dd it also ended up being an allergy

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 3:00 pm
I think I'll go back to the doctor and have him give a closer look, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the replies ladies.

Metukah

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 5:25 pm
All 6 of my sister's children had bm once a week at that age. Only one of them had chronic constipation issues. She was checked for hirschprungs disease. She is almost 5 now and her bm have been fine for the last almost 3 years.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 7:23 pm
My baby is seven weeks old and she hasnt have a normal bm since she is 3 weeks old I was told to give a sepository and that helped her go. but I am still concern because she cries every time she pushes but nothing comes out

Jeanette

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 7:45 pm
A breastfed baby can go quite a long time between bm's with nothing wrong. Look at how baby s doing, gaining weight, seems content. If everything else is fine then the bowel movements are fine too.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:31 pm
I'm surprised by responses. My infant is 3 weeks old and Dr said she needs to go every day. (She happens to go like every 2 hours)

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is seven weeks old and she hasnt have a normal bm since she is 3 weeks old I was told to give a sepository and that helped her go. but I am still concern because she cries every time she pushes but nothing comes out

My doctor showed me a trick: insert the tip of a thermometer as if you were taking temp. It can make the BM come out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics