Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you let someone else nurse your baby?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Amother Pearl, it's just as gross someone nursing my baby with her sweaty breast. How can you be sure this mom showers regularly? Besides I think it's germs.

My question to you was 'Do you trust anybody with anything' because your initial response basically indicated that nobody is to be trusted.

But basically - you just think its gross - trust has nothing to do with it.

(to answer the question 'would I let someone else nurse my baby?' I can't imagine a situation where anyone would ask me if they had my permission to nurse my baby - baring an emergency situation. If I was in that situation - I'd probably say 'I trust that since you are offering you are healthy' - and if I had the wherewithal - 'please wipe between feedings')

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 4:21 pm
I don't think formula is poison & I think it's just as healthy as breastmilk, so no, there won't ever be an emergency situation where someone will have to nurse my baby.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 4:25 pm
I don't get the ick factor but I would need a really good reason to do it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 4:41 pm
I would nurse another baby if need be, if it was one I knew. I would let a close relative or friend nurse my baby. But I doubt it would come up.

heidi

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:22 pm
I nursed my brother's baby on YK when his wife had no milk left and I had plenty.
It's really just food. No reason for the extreme responses.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:28 pm
All those grossed-out mothers should go visit a modern large dairy farm. Either you'll stop thinking that milk (and therefore formula as well) are so non-gross, or you'll decide that wet-nursing is actually not so bad.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:33 pm
We don't suck milk directly from the cow, so it's not really a comparison.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:
We don't suck milk directly from the cow, so it's not really a comparison.

You know in restaurants the chefs touch the food with their hands some times?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:41 pm
SuperWify wrote:

OP curious why you are asking...

OP here.

I had to go to a meeting tonight, and I would have preferred to leave my baby at home with DH. However, I don't have milk in the freezer, and DD refuses formula - though she will drink from a bottle.

I asked for mother's milk on our local WhatsApp group, but before I sent the message, I felt really... Possessive? I wanted my baby to be fed by ME. Noone else.

I thought about it, and one thought led to another... Until I was curious how everyone else felt about it.

In the end, I decided:
-Using someone else's milk irritates me, but it's still better than formula for the babe. It's a matter of pride for me that my baby is growing on my milk, and I want to own that, since nursing isnt easy for me.
-I would be happy to nurse someone else's baby, though I can't imagine that it would feel the same as nursing my own.
-I would be incredibly jealous if someone else nursed my baby, and it would open up a lot of insecurity I feel about my ability to provide as a mother. In a pinch I'd do it, but it would have to be one heck of a pinch.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:46 pm
People have to put out of their heads that formula is not good for the baby & they must exclusively breastfeed so their babies become their pocket books & they shouldn't be able to go to a meeting or wedding! Its good to get the baby used to at least one bottle a day so mom should be able to leave for a bit or baby should be able to go to a babysitter.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
People have to put out of their heads that formula is not good for the baby & they must exclusively breastfeed to their babies become their pocket books & they shouldn't be able to go to a meeting or wedding! Its good to get the baby used to at least one bottle a day so mom should be able to leave for a bit.

No - people do not need to put it out of their heads that formula is not good for the baby. Respect peoples preferences.

Expressed Breast Milk is an alternative to formula that many women choose to allow themselves not to be tethered to their babies.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
People have to put out of their heads that formula is not good for the baby & they must exclusively breastfeed so their babies become their pocket books & they shouldn't be able to go to a meeting or wedding! Its good to get the baby used to at least one bottle a day so mom should be able to leave for a bit or baby should be able to go to a babysitter.

Moot in this case. She won't touch formula - I don't think she likes the taste.

As for my baby pocketbook, well... I'm pretty fond of having her around, actually. This is the first time in 6 months that I felt I might want to leave her home. In the end she came with, and it worked out well.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 6:20 pm
[quote="amother"]My mother nursed my son to see if my trouble with him nursing was mine or his.
I nursed my sister's baby when she was in the hospital for a procedure and needed to pump and dump for 24 hours after.[/quotel]
Was your baby able to nurse from your mother or was it his issue after all?

saralem

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:34 pm
I would have no problem with it either way. There were timed I had wished I could still nurse when I had a screaming grandchild in my arms and my daughter was out. It felt very natural to have that reaction. Unfortunately my youngest child had long since stopped nursing. I loved nursing and it’s just always felt comfortable to me. No hang ups about someone else’s baby.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:40 pm
I never understood how people can nurse 2 children (either 2 of their own or 1 of theirs and 1 of someone else's) at once. The body produces milk bases on supply and demand, and the body thinks that any milk that was eaten went to the most recent baby that was born -- I think. So you're messing up that baby's supply. Why would you mess with a young baby's supply to give a 2.5 year old breastmilk? It sounds crazy to me. I just don't get it. I am not saying the woman would necessarily produce less milk but maybe less nutrients would go to the new baby or something, or her body thinks the new baby ate when it didn't.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:47 pm
Don't worry, there has been plenty of research into tandem nursing, and many of your worries are allayed.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:50 pm
I would have no problem with it. My babies are not sterile. When they are toddlers they eat food from the floors....

Metukah

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:57 pm
I wouldn't want anyone to nurse my babies, nor would I give them someone else's pumped milk. If I was in a pinch I would use formula ;although that hadn't really been an issue when I nursed my kids. (3of them ; for over a year)
I would have no issue nursing my sister's of brothers babies and I would have no issue giving out my pumped milk:something I have actually done.

Water Stones

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
Don't worry, there has been plenty of research into tandem nursing, and many of your worries are allayed.

This is true. I tandem nurse my one year old and infant and they are very healthy with my milk.

I would nurse a baby for another mother and I would allow it for my baby to nurse from another mother if it was emergency.

Snickers18

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
Amother Pearl, it's just as gross someone nursing my baby with her sweaty breast. How can you be sure this mom showers regularly? Besides I think it's germs.

Lol, chances are, the inside of your baby’s mouth is germier than the average woman’s breast. But it seems most of this thread is about feelings, not facts.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics