Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Grain Free for weight loss, a few questions

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 2:58 pm
Grains, even healthy ones, are major trigger foods for me. I gained weight and can't stick to any healthy plan, even ones I have been successful with in the past. I stopped eating grains, corn, potatoes, sugar etc 5 days ago and my cravings have pretty much dissipated. I feel like I have so much more self control and will power. I am trying hard to not let myself go hungry, but fill up on proteins, fats, veggies, and carbs from fruits and beans.
Anyone have experience with this? It's not a keto diet, because I'm not counting carbs and if I want a whole banana I have it. I'm not counting calories, but by cutting out all that junk, pasta, and bread, it seems that I am eating between 1200 and 1400 a day, maybe more on days I make myself a chicken salad with chickpeas. I have whole wheat matzah on shabbos.
Has anyone done this in the past and lost weight? Was it slow or rapid? Did the weight stay off? Were you able to slowly introduce things like ricecakes and whole wheat pasta? What were some of your staples? And lastly, anyone want to join me?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:19 pm
It sounds similar to paleo or whole30.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:29 pm
I’m mostly grain free but I do count calories. When I first started I started like you cutting out junk... that was more then 18 months ago. I don’t see myself ever going back to eating the way I was before I started. The only thing I would change is once a week I will have a treat. Now I do that more like once a month. I feel like it’s a lifestyle change I made & I plan on sticking to it.
I’ve lost 65 lbs so far. As I saw what a difference each calorie made I cut out more & more. Now I’m only eating 3 meals a day & nothing but coffee & water. I found foods I like & so far it’s been great.
It completely changed my life in every way. I’m a better mother & wife. I was becoming depressed I was just miserable. Now I feel amazing physically, emotionally & mentally.
Good for you for taking control of your health & good luck.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
It sounds similar to paleo or whole30.

Similar, but I can't give up my dairy.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
I’m mostly grain free but I do count calories. When I first started I started like you cutting out junk... that was more then 18 months ago. I don’t see myself ever going back to eating the way I was before I started. The only thing I would change is once a week I will have a treat. Now I do that more like once a month. I feel like it’s a lifestyle change I made & I plan on sticking to it.
I’ve lost 65 lbs so far. As I saw what a difference each calorie made I cut out more & more. Now I’m only eating 3 meals a day & nothing but coffee & water. I found foods I like & so far it’s been great.
It completely changed my life in every way. I’m a better mother & wife. I was becoming depressed I was just miserable. Now I feel amazing physically, emotionally & mentally.
Good for you for taking control of your health & good luck.

Wow, good for you! I've lost weight before by counting calories, but for some reason this time even whole wheat sugar free bread makes me crave all things carb. Glad to hear it worked out for you! Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited by OutATowner on Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:50 pm
Wow, sounds like what I'm trying to do! I am nursing though, I wonder if it's safe? Every Monday I start my diet and by Tuesday evening, I'm off it embarrassed Crying Sad

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 6:02 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Wow, good for you! I've lost weight before by counting calories, but for some reason this time even while wheat sugar free bread makes me crave all things carb. Glad to hear it worked out for you! Thanks for the inspiration!

Some grain free ideas.
Breakfast
Smoothie made of 2 Greek light 100 calorie yogurts & 1/2 cup of frozen fruit & some ice

Lunch
Hard boiled egg whites with some avocado & cut up vegetables

Salad with a can of tuna or salmon

Salad with some smoked turkey breast

Salad with chick peas & a cut up beef stick from aufshnit

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:11 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Grains, even healthy ones, are major trigger foods for me. I gained weight and can't stick to any healthy plan, even ones I have been successful with in the past. I stopped eating grains, corn, potatoes, sugar etc 5 days ago and my cravings have pretty much dissipated. I feel like I have so much more self control and will power. I am trying hard to not let myself go hungry, but fill up on proteins, fats, veggies, and carbs from fruits and beans.
Anyone have experience with this? It's not a keto diet, because I'm not counting carbs and if I want a whole banana I have it. I'm not counting calories, but by cutting out all that junk, pasta, and bread, it seems that I am eating between 1200 and 1400 a day, maybe more on days I make myself a chicken salad with chickpeas. I have whole wheat matzah on shabbos.
Has anyone done this in the past and lost weight? Was it slow or rapid? Did the weight stay off? Were you able to slowly introduce things like ricecakes and whole wheat pasta? What were some of your staples? And lastly, anyone want to join me?

Www.vinnietortorich.com
Download the PDF and read it. Do what it says.
If you are on Facebook there is a secret group I can add you too. Over 22 k members.

Sugar, sweetener and grain free since May 12, 2017
Down 75 pounds and a whole different life.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:13 pm
Also, I do eat dairy. I only watch carbs because of a specific medical issue I have- NSNG DOES NOT COUNT CARBS.

It’s my experience that cutting out fruit while you may think it will make you feel left out or cheated or whatever, THAT , for me, was the beginning of my freedom. My body can’t tell the difference between fruit and sugar or rice.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:26 pm
Andrea Levy, I was hoping you would chime in Smile
I cant see myself giving up my splenda in my coffee, but I'm not going to try to make "brownies" etc. Except for one recipe that I've been wanting to try with my protein powder.
I cut down on fruit but didnt eliminate. I have a green apple with peanut butter mid afternoon and it really stops me from grazing/noshing. And an occasional banana, especially in my greek yogurt smoothie.
You don't count the carbs in beans, plain yogurt, etc? I thought to get to keto you count every single net carb.
Really hope this works. I've been yo-yo-ing and I just want to be healthy and not feel like I'm fighting my own body every day. I started this because I really think cutting grains helps me not crave junk and feel hungry. When I ate a healthy sandwhich I still felt hungry even though I knew I shouldn't. I'm eating much less but no where near as hungry as I was when eating healthy grains. Not looking to get super skinny (like I once was on a crazy diet) but to be at a healthy weight (lose 30 pounds) and not have to agonize over food or dieting.
Really, really hope this is sustainable and it works!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Some grain free ideas.
Breakfast
Smoothie made of 2 Greek light 100 calorie yogurts & 1/2 cup of frozen fruit & some ice

Lunch
Hard boiled egg whites with some avocado & cut up vegetables

Salad with a can of tuna or salmon

Salad with some smoked turkey breast

Salad with chick peas & a cut up beef stick from aufshnit

Looks too low-fat to me. Fat will help you feel full, which is important especially if you're not eating grains.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, sounds like what I'm trying to do! I am nursing though, I wonder if it's safe? Every Monday I start my diet and by Tuesday evening, I'm off it embarrassed Crying Sad

It should be safe while nursing, plenty of people have celiac etc. But ask your doctor. I don't think this is for everyone. I think the ideal is to be able to eat healthy, unprocessed whole grains. But for me, it just doesn't work.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
Looks too low-fat to me. Fat will help you feel full, which is important especially if you're not eating grains.

It is lower in fat. I put dressing in my salad. So I get some fat there & dinner is meat, chicken or fish so that’s more fats.
I usually don’t get hungery between meals anymore.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:

There are a lot of people on NSNG (not eating out and out starch or counting carbs) who are pregnant and nursing.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:03 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Andrea Levy, I was hoping you would chime in Smile
I cant see myself giving up my splenda in my coffee, but I'm not going to try to make "brownies" etc. Except for one recipe that I've been wanting to try with my protein powder.
I cut down on fruit but didnt eliminate. I have a green apple with peanut butter mid afternoon and it really stops me from grazing/noshing. And an occasional banana, especially in my greek yogurt smoothie.
You don't count the carbs in beans, plain yogurt, etc? I thought to get to keto you count every single net carb.
Really hope this works. I've been yo-yo-ing and I just want to be healthy and not feel like I'm fighting my own body every day. I started this because I really think cutting grains helps me not crave junk and feel hungry. When I ate a healthy sandwhich I still felt hungry even though I knew I shouldn't. I'm eating much less but no where near as hungry as I was when eating healthy grains. Not looking to get super skinny (like I once was on a crazy diet) but to be at a healthy weight (lose 30 pounds) and not have to agonize over food or dieting.
Really, really hope this is sustainable and it works!

PM me. I'd be happy to share my experience with you. re yogurt. I now eat creme fraiche (heavy cream mixed with some yogurt and fermented till thickened- I make it myself.) and I use the highest fat, unsweetened yogurt I can find. beans etc. I don't like beans, so I don't eat them. In fact, I don't eat anything I don't like. But also, my tastes have changed. I now like a bunch of things I would never have eaten before. Like radishes. Used to hate them. My husband would never have given up his splenda either but did because, his choice, he just didn't like it anymore. In fact, my husband, had a total sweet tooth and he doesn't eat anything sweet anymore because it makes him want more.

I call it eating things that taste like more. Like one is too many and a thousand is not enough.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:01 pm
Ivory amother- do you want to pm me and we can do this together? I would love a diet buddy. Of course, trying not to called it a diet but a lifestyle. But lifestyle buddy sounds a bit weird.
Day 8 and feeling great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise