Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot recipe for shabbos day -NOT cholent
Previous  1  2

penina

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 2:12 pm
I make an excellent paerve tortilla soup which can easily be cooked away in the crockpot. It's lowfat and high protein and whipped up very quickly.

1 LARGE can diced tomatoes, including the liquid
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 jalapeno, diced (optional if you don't like spicy)
2 cloves garlic (minced, or put through a garlic press)
1 box veggie stock (low sodium and no MSG, always)
1 T. cumin

In a pan, saute the onion and garlic with cooking spray or olive oil, then add cumin, salt and pepper, and the jalapeno. When fragrant, transfer to the crockpot and put all the ingredients in. If you have a larger crockpot, you might need to add more liquid, and vice versa if you have a smaller crockpot. If you have to take out, do it with the stock not the tomato liquid since the tomato liquid gives it great flavor. Stir and set the crockpot to high for an hour or two before shabbos before transfering to low.

For Shabbos, you might want to think about using an equivelent number of dried beans since they soak up alot of water. I've never used them though. I usually serve mine with Tofutti sour cream (or regular if milhig) and crunched up tortilla chips, though I'm not sure if you can do that on Shabbos... I need a refresher...

MarSeaModest

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:23 am
I know this is like 13years later (we made alyah in 2007) but I want to share this recipie from a friend.
CORNED BEEF IN CROCKPOT FOR SHABBAT LUNCH
line crock pot with sliced onions
put in frozen corned been (not defrosted)
put sliced onions on top and maybe some kind of sauce if you want (chili sauce, ketchup/mustard, bbq - a mix of all)
turn on crock pot onto LOW just before shabbat
Your cornbeef will be ready and delicious for lunch.
seriously
We do this all the time now.
If you are scared, put it on high the hour before to get it hot then low.
do not add liquid - it will be full of liquid coming out of brisket
any questions contact me marci@bezeqint.net

penguin

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:25 am
I've tried various things, chicken, meatballs. It basically all comes out tasting like cholent!

DotsyM

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:55 pm
I have not had luck with chicken, it becomes overdone and tough. I've been told not to leave any meat on warm overnight as the temperature is not high enough to keep bacteria from growing, so I have to keep it on low.

I do not like cholent. It's dark and heavy and unpleasant as far as I'm concerned although I know everybody loves it!
I've been making one of the following two nearly every week. I buy either Asado or lamb necks. I first saute the meat well and cook them on high with sautéed leeks, onions and garlic for three hours, covered with a cup of wine and water or a cup of stock from a previously made bone broth. I set to low and add whatever root vegetables such as carrots sweet potatoes potatoes. I add water before Shabbos so that it's nearly at the top. Sometimes more wine, or bone broth
I like to add paprika salt pepper and garlic powder, oregano. My crockpot has a timer that will default to warm after however many hours I set it for, and that way it's only on warm for 4 to 5 hours before lunch.

I often add marrow bones because that makes it super rich. I don't like barley and beans and all that other stuff, and these two are always crowdpleasers.

However, I do want to make some kind of vegetable stew to leave overnight for lunch to pour over couscous for someone who is Vegetarian. Does anyone have a recipe for that? I was thinking Parv chicken stock, big hunks of root vegetables and spices. Because there's no meat I can leave it on warm and it won't cook. Thoughts anyone?

PS. I keep all my bones from any chicken or meat during the week and when I have enough, I fill a crockpot with water, spices, celery onion garlic and carrot, A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and leave the crockpot on low for 1 to 3 days. I know people that only do for 12 hours, but I like to leach all the minerals out of the bones. That's why you need the apple cider vinegar. This way I always have stock in the freezer.

Last edited by DotsyM on Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

juggling

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:58 pm
I think that should totally work. I did a vegetarian minestrone soup (without pasta) in my crockpot last shabbat, I left it on low and it was perfect for shabbat lunch.

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:59 am
Note that as mentioned somewhere above, as we age it becomes more difficult to deal with cholent, but really with anything cooked overnight. The more you cook something, the more you get rid of the enzymes which may help with digestion.

Personally, I am yotzah chamim on Shabbos with a hot cocoa!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus