Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady from 10 am to 2 pm need to provide lunch?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do I have to provide lunch for my cleaning lady is she is by me for 4 hours a day? (4 hours by someone else that day)
yes  
 61%  [ 96 ]
no  
 38%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:03 pm
My once a week cleaning lady splits her time between me and another family- 10-2 and she goes there after for another 4 hours. Am I responsible to provide her with lunch if she's by me for 4 hours? Does it depend on the number of hours a day she works by me or by the time of day she is by me. If she was by me for example 8-12 or 9-1 would the answer be different? Whos is responsible in this case to provide lunch the morning family or the afternoon family? Obviously if she is by me for the whole day I provide lunch.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:04 pm
I would. If not a full lunch then at least a yogurt, a fruit like a banana, and a rugela or something. You can show her around to make coffee for herself too.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:06 pm
For sure especially if she goes to another house next.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
For sure especially if she goes to another house next.
If she works the same hours by me and by her, why is it my responsibility and not the next family's?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:12 pm
I would give lunch and your friend should give supper .

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
If she works the same hours by me and by her, why is it my responsibility and not the next family's?

The next family should give her a meal too.

When the woman who cleans is here for 8 hours, I provide lunch plus what I wrote above.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:

Because her time at your home includes lunchtime, and you presumably don't want her to bring in outside food to eat in your house.

Why not talk to her about her expectations, and yours, especially if she's paid by the hour.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:25 pm
The idea of having a person clean my house is much less appealing if I have to provide lunch for her.

What if she cleans your house while you are at work? Are you expected to provide lunch for her in that case also?

If you work in an office or a store, lunch is not provided for you. Why is this different?

(For the record, I do not have a cleaning lady.)

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:27 pm
A LITTLE RESPECT! 4 hours of cleaning DOES need food. If she were there 8-12 I'd give coffee and cake. 10-2 definitely lunch or big snack. I hate hearing about cleaning help mistreated. Mine revere me...wonder why

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:31 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
The idea of having a person clean my house is much less appealing if I have to provide lunch for her.

What if she cleans your house while you are at work? Are you expected to provide lunch for her in that case also?

If you work in an office or a store, lunch is not provided for you. Why is this different?

Food is provided by those who don't want outside / non-kosher food to be brought into the house. If an employee knows that she'll be provided a good lunch that she enjoys, she won't feel the need to bring her own / less risk of kosher kitchen items being used to warm up non-kosher food.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 6:42 pm
No. If I work in an office they don’t provide me lunch either. But they do give me a lunch break and so should you.

I offer drinks and snacks though.

mmesti

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 7:30 pm
I don't understand why you're asking. People seriously think cleaning ladies are machines...

Offer, you won't loose anything if she says she's not hungry. Give her a plastic cup and tell her she can fill it up with water as many times as she wants... put a few cookies on the table and tell her she can have as many as she wants. Some are less than $2.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 7:46 pm
My housekeeper works 9-1. I provide coffee and cookies, unlimited water bottles and a lunch. Since I'm often not home, I make the lunch ahead and leave it in a bag in the fridge with her name.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 7:52 pm
I always give my cleaning lady a drink, remind her she can take a cup and any drink from the fridge, and offer to make her coffee. If I have baked goods around I offer that too. The times I was home and baked fresh rolls I offered that too. As well as a new coffee maker someone gave me that I didn't need. I am not home during the school year, but I leave something out for her. I don't think I mistreat her by not offering her lunch. I am hiring someone to help me, not to give me another thing on my to do list. I hardly manage to make myself lunch. Doesn't mean I think she is a machine.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 7:54 pm
mmesti wrote:
I don't understand why you're asking. People seriously think cleaning ladies are machines...

Offer, you won't loose anything if she says she's not hungry. Give her a plastic cup and tell her she can fill it up with water as many times as she wants... put a few cookies on the table and tell her she can have as many as she wants. Some are less than $2.

Water and cookies are not the same thing as a prepared lunch. I offer that to the guys who come around asking if I want cable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 7:59 pm
You don't need to provide a meal for just 4 hours of cleaning!!! A fruit, yogurt, or snack is fine. We don't need to wait on them hand & foot!!! We give them way more respect than they deserve, they do get paid after all!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:00 pm
Seriously? Is it going to kill you to give her lunch?
My cleaning lady knows she is welcome to take as much food as she wants, whenever she wants, no matter how many hours she worked that day.

amother
Seagreen

JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Its a common practice to provide domestic help with lunch.

amother
Blue

I have a lady for 3 hrs from 9-12 and she goes to someone else after me to. I provide lunch when she's done... and of course drinks throughout...what's the big deal to pop some bread n cheese into the toaster?!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:18 pm
The more we provide them, the more they take advantage of us & they just keep on asking more & more money. It's a job just like any other, which job provides lunch? Snack & drinks????
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry