Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady from 10 am to 2 pm need to provide lunch?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Do I have to provide lunch for my cleaning lady is she is by me for 4 hours a day? (4 hours by someone else that day)
yes  
 61%  [ 96 ]
no  
 38%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
We asked about our handyman who is there every Sunday. We were told we only have to provide a space for him to eat. Since he doesn't have transportation, DH gets him hot food to eat. He goes off the clock during lunch time which is according to law.

NY law states for domestic workers:

Meal Breaks
Employees who work a shift of more than 6 hours which extends over the noon day meal period (11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.) are entitled to at least 30 minutes off within that period for a meal break.

Here is your answer, over 6 hours is self understood.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 12:52 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
Hard boiled eggs I have in the fridge--I make two dozen every Sunday for family lunches. It takes less than two minutes to add hot water to ramen noodles, pop bread and cheese in the panini maker or put pizza in the toaster. If you don't have two minutes to be a mentsch....[/quohe]

Guess why I take cleaning help? Because I don't have the extra time to clean. Niether do I have the extra time to prepair food. I don't have hard boiled eggs in fridge. ( we wouldn't eat cooked eggs that's in the fridge longer then 3 days niether would I give that to my cl) and no I will not make a pot dirty to make her lunch. I will provide anything from the fridge that doesn't take time or energy out of me, like yogert, bread, butter, cheese, fruits and juice.

It's safe to eat eggs up to a week if they're refrigerated. Otherwise I agree with you, it takes too much time to make an actual lunch, much easier to give fruit, granola bar, coffee.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
Here is your answer, over 6 hours is self understood.

NO. NY law does not require anybody to give a cleaning lady a meal. Actually give their cleaning lady food.

It a nice practice to do so.

If you don't - fine for you.

In terms of Halacha - I'd see it as following a minhag a hamakom.

ITS ALSO JUST A REALLY NICE THING TO DO.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 12:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't slam. I respond to hypocrisy when someone else slams.
My point remains the same.
If a worker is an independent contractor that doesn't file taxes, the one who hires is the same complicit whether they fail to file payroll taxes on a W2 or fail to file a 1099 for independent contractors.
If a poster is going to express that a group of workers who don't pay taxes are not worthy of the respect of those who hire them, then that poster can expect someone to point out the hypocrisy.
Back to this thread.

There is no requirement for an individual to give a very part time domestic help a 1099. (the individual is not running a trade or business)

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If a worker is an independent contractor that doesn't file taxes, the one who hires is the same complicit whether they fail to file payroll taxes on a W2 or fail to file a 1099 for independent contractors.
If a poster is going to express that a group of workers who don't pay taxes are not worthy of the respect of those who hire them, then that poster can expect someone to point out the hypocrisy.
Back to this thread.

You didn't mention forms. You mentioned paying payroll taxes. I guess you googled where you were wrong. How do you expect all these amothers to know the filing requirements of the IRS if the CLs champion was clueless until now?My guess is you don't fill out the forms either or you would have been aware of them.

BTW, there is enough slamming of Leriem lately. She isn't going after any individual posters.

Back to the thead.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
You didn't mention forms. You mentioned paying payroll taxes. I guess you googled where you were wrong. How do you expect all these amothers to know the filing requirements of the IRS if the CLs champion was clueless until now?My guess is you don't fill out the forms either or you would have been aware of them.

BTW, there is enough slamming of Leriem lately. She isn't going after any individual posters.

Back to the thead.

The comment about 'not paying taxes' (because they are illegal aliens) was a complete red herring.

If someone is so angry that their domestic help is illegally in the country - they should seek out help through reputable cleaning agencies.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:

Back to the thead.

In case there is any doubt - I'm not a CL champion - anyone can read:

https://www.irs.gov/publicatio.....86725

Leriem

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 6:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Back to this thread.

You sound very angry. Did this trigger something?

Leriem

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:
Hmmm. Shiaeisen's alter ego by any chance?

Excuse me?

Leriem

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 6:26 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It seems from all of your posts so far, you have a lot of anger towards a lot of many different types of people.

Excuse me? I’m not sure what you mean. By the way, a welcome would be more appreciated than a psychological evaluation.

Leriem

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 6:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Then I guess you're not paying payroll taxes either and saving just the same.

Why would you say that? It’s up to her to de,air her income just as it is up to me to declare mine.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry