Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos Nachamu embarrassment!!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:50 pm
It's not a thing outside of imamother, probably

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
In my mind, you have to be rich in order to go to a bungalow colony.

I mean, seriously. People shell out $10k to rent a home in the country PLUS pay their rent/mortgage in the city.

You def don’t have to be rich to go to a bungalow colony. I go to a decent but dumpy place. It costs us approx $6,500 for the whole summer. Some people afford it easily, and others save up for it all year.

I personally don’t enjoy it that much because the kids are home a lot, I’m busy with lunch, changing the little kids in and out of bathing suits and getting them back and forth to daycamp in the morning and again after lunch (when they just want to stay and play). My oldest goes to camp off grounds and I need to make his bus every morning. Laundry is harder. Some people dont have their own washing machines.

But it’s worth it. Because it’s amazing how the Kids blossom here. I live in a 1.5 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. The kids are crammed into a tiny room. My apartment has very few windows and it’s depressing. I have no porch and no yard. If we want to play outside I have to watch constantly to make sure they don’t go near the gutter. It takes just one minute of being distracted for an accident to happen ch”v. To me the country is very high on the priority list right near. Iyh I’m moving soon.

Once I’m living more comfortably I will need to re-evaluate if we will go upstate again. Then it will go from a “necessity” to a luxury. If we can afford it - great. No reason for you to be so jealous.

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 3:18 pm
This thread is awesome!

I have always stayed home Shabbos Nachmu and my kids have not the foggiest of a clue that it’s a “thing” to go away — they think it’s coincidence.

Shabbos Nachmu has a lot of significance as the beginning of Shiva D’nechmta (7 Weeks of Nechama) we usually make an extra dessert but this year I actually decided to make some of my YT fish too Wink

And I BH do not feel deprived at home at all

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 3:20 pm
I sooo needed this. Thanks tons OP. This was a great laugh!

soap suds

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
You've also never washed your dishes.

(Mine either.)

Still waiting for that...

Yes, yes, you know who I am....

LOL Wave

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
No reason for you to be so jealous.

Not at all jealous dear. I live upstate and love it! Private fenced-in lawn, great neighbors; this is the life!

I just really, really don't understand the mentality of running to the country and pouring out your pockets to do so when you can use that money and get a larger place year round. Especially if you move upstate. It just boggles my mind.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:04 pm
Believe me, you don't want them all upstate year round. Let them do what they're doing and don't let the real estate reach sky rocket prices. If they buy houses here you're gonna have to move ( or maybe not because you own your property already)

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Not at all jealous dear. I live upstate and love it! Private fenced-in lawn, great neighbors; this is the life!

I just really, really don't understand the mentality of running to the country and pouring out your pockets to do so when you can use that money and get a larger place year round. Especially if you move upstate. It just boggles my mind.

When DH is a born and bred city boy - you just gotta take what you can get. Confused

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:

I’m a Brooklyn girl! I would never want to live in the country all year. I put up with it for the summer. During the year the kids are in school all day and manage fine in the city. And iyh I will soon have a house with a porch and yard. It’s just costing double the price of a house elsewhere. But we decided it’s worth it. Also our entire families and all my friends are here. That def also made a difference.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
When DH is a born and bred city boy - you just gotta take what you can get. Confused

Mine is also, and actually, by my beshow he insisted he would never live upstate.
And here we are!
AND he says he can't imagine ever going back!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
Mine is also, and actually, by my beshow he insisted he would never live upstate.
And here we are!
AND he says he can't imagine ever going back!

Hmmm You mean there's hope?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
Hmmm You mean there's hope?

Yes!

Schools are an issue though. That's the one thing that would hold me back if I were still in the city.

unexpected

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 4:51 am
amother wrote:

Maybe not jealous, but a little judgmental maybe? You get 12 months upstate and you love it, why are you begrudging her 2?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 5:05 am
flowerpower wrote:
So op, your post went viral on whatsapp. I got it from sooooo many people already. I guess the city will be quiet full after all.....

Haha me too
But I wasn't only the OP it was a combination of this whole thread with some editing to boot.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 5:14 am
My dh grew up poor, large family in a very old house in Brooklyn. In the summer his father took a job in the country as a Rebbi so they went to the bungalow colony every summer. It’s decades later and he doesn’t stop talking about the summers in the country.... crazy thing is, we live in a big house with a big grassy yard, we aren’t living in poor stuffy accommodations yet every summer at this time dh gets depressed that we are home and not in the country. Doesn’t help that when he goes to shul it’s half empty since everyone packed out. We have no reason to go away.... it’s country like where we live- even a pool down the road... but it’s rather dreadful being home with dh on this particular shabbos when he’s busy remenising and feeling sorry for himself. Sometimes I hope it rains on shabbos nachamu since everyone knows that the country is no fun in the rain... this way maaaybe dh won’t feel so bad for himself that we stayed home!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
Haha me too
But I wasn't only the OP it was a combination of this whole thread with some editing to boot.

Can you repost here?

iyar

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
My dh grew up poor, large family in a very old house in Brooklyn. In the summer his father took a job in the country as a Rebbi so they went to the bungalow colony every summer. It’s decades later and he doesn’t stop talking about the summers in the country.... crazy thing is, we live in a big house with a big grassy yard, we aren’t living in poor stuffy accommodations yet every summer at this time dh gets depressed that we are home and not in the country. Doesn’t help that when he goes to shul it’s half empty since everyone packed out. We have no reason to go away.... it’s country like where we live- even a pool down the road... but it’s rather dreadful being home with dh on this particular shabbos when he’s busy remenising and feeling sorry for himself. Sometimes I hope it rains on shabbos nachamu since everyone knows that the country is no fun in the rain... this way maaaybe dh won’t feel so bad for himself that we stayed home!

I feel for you Slateblue, I really do.
But may I hazard a guess that when the rain you're wishing for comes pouring down your dh will start reminiscing about catching salamanders and keeping frogs in a pail under his bunkbed.

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 10:16 am
come on guys, you do sound envious.
I only read the first page of responses, but here's my take.

Whatever you do, is perfectly fine. Do I live in a bubble?
I never feel the need to explain my actions to anyone.

The reason people seek to get away for shabbos nachamu is
A. because after the tense and stressful 3 weeks/9 days, people want
to have a good time!
It is a stress buster.

B. For those connected to yeshivos, it is Bein Hazmanim

I looked for opportunities this year but it soon became apparent that
all of the programs and options were out of my budget at this time.
Maybe next year, we will go away; I would love to go to Niagara Falls.

But since I am a mature adult, I immediately got over myself and looking
forward to a beautiful shabbos at home, in my cool and comfortable
RENTED apt. in Brooklyn.
I am sincerely happy for those who can afford to go away.
I am not envious in the least, altho I still wish we could have gone away.

If you actually CHOOSE to stay home, good for you!
Enjoy every minute
No need to defend your position!
gut shabbos.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:55 am
Bumping this up, because we are staying home again and since it's top secret (so that it shouldn't affect my kids' shidduchim!) I have to tell someone, so telling my imamother friends...

rachelmom1

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:03 am
Doing the same for the second year in a row Sad Borrowed a Lev Tahor getup no one should recognize me.
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Bumping this up, because we are staying home again and since it's top secret (so that it shouldn't affect my kids' shidduchim!) I have to tell someone, so telling my imamother friends...
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics