Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Coming to Shul to talk
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Leriem

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:13 pm
I go to Shul to daven every Shabbos. I take it seriously and have learned how serious a problem it is when people talk during davening. I learned that Hashem doesn’t accept the tefilot of ANYONE in a Shul where there’s talking (numerous stories have been told by very big rabbis, one being that someone who became very ill went to a big rabbi, the rabbi asked, “Is there talking in your Shul?” The man answered, “I don’t talk.” The rabbi asked, “is there any talking during davening?” The man answered, “Some others do.” The rabbi advised him to change Shuls. After he did, the man recovered.).

My Shul has people who it seems, come just to talk. It doesn’t stop. The rabbi made a few general speeches about it, to no avail. I think he gave up. The talking disturbs me and I can’t concentrate on my davening, and it also bothers me that people act this way with no care to the seriousness of it.

I tried changing Shuls, and for different reasons, it just didn’t work out in the other neighborhood Shuls (ie. Distance, time of tefila, etc). I’ve been davening in this Shul for many years and in many ways it’s a nice place with some good people, but this talking problem has become out of control.
I don’t know why people don’t understand they shouldn’t come just to socialize (one woman, after being confronted by someone else about her talking, openly admitted she “has to” talk, she just can’t stop!) and they should wait to socialize until after tefila is over. What do you do, if they don’t stop, even after you ask them?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:15 pm
Switch shuls. You can't control other people.

(My dh will not daven in certain shuls because they don't take this seriously.)

Leriem

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
Switch shuls. You can't control other people.

(My dh will not daven in certain shuls because they don't take this seriously.)

I just wrote that after trying the other options, they didn’t work out. I’m stuck with this Shul and want to know how to make the best of it. The distraction though is a problem and I even get angry at the people doing it.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:34 pm
Leriem wrote:
I learned that Hashem doesn’t accept the tefilot of ANYONE in a Shul where there’s talking

There's no way this is true.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:02 am
First of all I don't believe that hashem sends yeshous only if the entire shul isn't talking. It's nice you included a story that indicates this but if we look around and open our eyes we see that we don't understand the ways of hashem. People who talk during davening, sit next to people who talk, get yeshous, while the tzadikim who daven in shuls where there is no talking suffer. We don't have the answers. Maybe it's to preserve the tzadik's olam habah. Who knows? We live in a time of hester panim. Hashem is hidden. Do you believe that hashem is hidden.......except for people who daven in quiet shuls and don't talk during daveninng. Those people hashem will send open yeshous to.

Either way it is a good idea to daven in a shul where there is no talking because talking is disruptive and it's difficult to concentrate with others talking around you.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:08 am
Screaming and yelling works best.

And making shhhhh! noises.

Yes. Shhhh! is definitely the best.

Not listening

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:10 am
Start a quiet minyan of your own.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:11 am
[Anon attack deleted. This is abuse of the amother feature. - Watergirl as a mod]

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:14 am
[Anon attack deleted. This is abuse of the amother feature. - watergirl as a mod]

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:15 am
[Edited to remove anon attack]

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:50 am
amother wrote:
There's no way this is true.

I heard that the reason Hitler didn't get to the Sephardic Jews was because they don't talk in shul.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:52 am
Can you bring earplugs for amida?

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
And yet another thread is where you ask for peoples' pet peeves with other's inconsideracies (if that's a word.)

Wassup gal, you have a really bad day or something?

What a nice way to welcome someone <sarcasm>. OP, welcome to imamother and ignore the nasty comments.

I think brown had a hard day and she's letting it out on you.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:01 am
Maybe the Sephardim are being rewarded for not wearing sheitals? Or not going crazy with stuff like kitniyot on Pesach? Or pronouncing Hebrew correctly?

Or maybe we actually DON'T UNDERSTAND G-D's ways?

(I don't like to talk in shul either so I usually sit in my own)

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:03 am
amother wrote:
Maybe the Sephardim are being rewarded for not wearing sheitals? Or not going crazy why stuff like kitniyot o Pesach?

Or maybe we actually DON'T UNDERSTAND G-D's ways?

(I don't like to talk in shul either so I usually sit in my own)

I heard this from a big Rav, I didn't just make this up. I'll try to track down the source.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:04 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I heard this from a big Rav, I didn't just make this up. I'll try to track down the source.

I'm curious. Because this sounds like Navuah, which went out some time ago.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:08 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I heard that the reason Hitler didn't get to the Sephardic Jews was because they don't talk in shul.

That's really powerful.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:20 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

I suppose the rav had nevuah. Btw, I suppose during the Spanish inquisition the sephardim did talk in shul? C'mon, why oh why do people actually believe they understand the ways of hashem?

etky

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:34 am
Is there a vatikin minyan you can attend or a quieter area of the womens section where you can sit and isolate yourself from the talkers?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:34 am
amother wrote:
I suppose the rav had nevuah. Btw, I suppose during the Spanish inquisition the sephardim did talk in shul? C'mon, why oh why do people actually believe they understand the ways of hashem?

Rabbanim used to have ruach hakodesh.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions