Home

A price above rubies-The Movie
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


bashinda




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:31 pm
I've only heard bad things about this movie. I also find it interesting how well this type of scenario sells. Think Pearl Abraham and to a certain extent think The Chosen (even though the character stays frum just not Chassidic). Have you ever heard of mainstream novels where the main character is torn because he wants to be frum? But this sells very well.

I think that bothers me more than anything else.
Back to top

mimivan




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:56 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Yes, you misunderstood what I said. I was referring to the idea that a person can be born into a particular group (say, ultra-Orthodox) but not have the soul for that lifestyle. There are other branches of Judaism, and other communities to be a part of. I know somebody who was raised in a particular Jewish community, but as she grew up, she knew she didn't feel like everyone else there. She's now married to a man who is similar to her, in terms of attitudes and observance level. I don't think this makes her a bad Jew. By the same token, I have a friend who was raised with Jewish parents who led a completely secular life, but she found her way to observance.

Not everybody is meant to be exactly like his or her parents. If you're born into certain sects, the expectation there is that you'll marry someone from the same group at a very young age, and live much as your parents did. For some people this is absolutely the direction they're meant to take. For others, the opposite is true.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that one doesn't fit in, and finding a way to reach a comfort level through learning and keeping one's mind open.


Okay, so make a movie about someone who is born into the chaseedish life and becomes MO instead of someone who goes off the derech compeletely..

then again, it is only the latter idea that sells in Hollywood.

Why don't people make nicer movies about hareidim? Because they are ticked off at us because we don't go to the movies...We're not consumers, so they punish us... Wink
Back to top

Clarissa




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:02 pm
mimivan wrote:


Okay, so make a movie about someone who is born into the chaseedish life and becomes MO instead of someone who goes off the derech compeletely..

then again, it is only the latter idea that sells in Hollywood.


Here's the thing. They're in business to make money, and dramatic stories make money. How compelling would it be if the woman struggles a bit, decides to stay frum but stops wearing her sheitel at home? Or talks her husband into allowing a tv and internet in the house? Do you really think the average Jane or Joe would find this to be a compelling drama?

Big stories sell. Most of the world doesn't know about the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, differences between various Jewish group. They had a dramatic story about a woman having deep questions, not small issues with Chassidish life.

I remember when the tv show "Friends" did a story about infertility. My infertility message board always had people complaining about how simplistically the show had handled it. Hello, it's a television comedy. It makes people laugh, they tune in to watch, advertisers get to sell them cars and soda.

Movies and tv shows aren't PSA's (Public Service Announcements), they're entertainment.


Last edited by Clarissa on Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Crayon210




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
I don't consider Satmar "more frum".


Satmar is so big ka"h and they have all different kinds. They definitely have those that are more frum than most of us but then they also have many that are no frummer than many of us.

Also I hope whoever mentioned Satmar in the same sentence as Neturai Karta I hope you realize that Satmar is just as against them as you and me.


Also I hope people realize that Niturei Karta are not all the Rasha-hugging types. Confused
Back to top

amother






Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:15 pm
Clarissa wrote:
mimivan wrote:


Okay, so make a movie about someone who is born into the chaseedish life and becomes MO instead of someone who goes off the derech compeletely..

then again, it is only the latter idea that sells in Hollywood.


Here's the thing. They're in business to make money, and dramatic stories make money. How compelling would it be if the woman struggles a bit, decides to stay frum but stops wearing her sheitel at home? Or talks her husband into allowing a tv and internet in the house? Do you really think the average Jane or Joe would find this to be a compelling drama?

Big stories sell. Most of the world doesn't know about the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, differences between various Jewish group. They had a dramatic story about a woman having deep questions, not small issues with Chassidish life.

I remember when the tv show "Friends" did a story about infertility. My infertility message board always had people complaining about how simplistically the show had handled it. Hello, it's a television comedy. It makes people laugh, they tune in to watch, advertisers get to sell them cars and soda.

Movies and tv shows aren't PSA's (Public Service Announcements), they're entertainment.


I don't know. I thought Ushpizin was a beautfiul and entertaining movie. Do you think that nice movies like this cannot appeal to a wide audience? I leant my copy to a few people who have very little knowledge of yiddishkeit and they enjoyed it, so....?

But Hollywood is so anti-G-dliness. I don't have high expectations from them.
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:31 pm
I'm not into movies but I get that they aren't PSA's, for sure !!!!
Back to top

Maya




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:40 pm
bashinda wrote:
I've only heard bad things about this movie. I also find it interesting how well this type of scenario sells. Think Pearl Abraham and to a certain extent think The Chosen (even though the character stays frum just not Chassidic). Have you ever heard of mainstream novels where the main character is torn because he wants to be frum? But this sells very well.

I think that bothers me more than anything else.


I think that Pearl Abraham writes novels like that because she knows what it's like. We try to hide the fact that sometimes people go off the derech because they find a very frum or a very Chassidic life stifling. But she knows the truth, and lived thru it.

The Chosen is also the same thing; of course there are such things happening, we just don't like to hear and read about them.
Back to top

daisy




 
 
 


Post  Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:55 pm
mimivan wrote:


Okay, so make a movie about someone who is born into the chaseedish life and becomes MO instead of someone who goes off the derech compeletely..

then again, it is only the latter idea that sells in Hollywood.



Naomi Ragen did that and her books sold quite well. No movies that I know of, though.
Back to top

bashinda




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:57 pm
I think you missed my point momtomr. I'm not asking why such a person like Pearl Abraham exists but why this type of story sells and not the story in reverse which is also happening just as often as her story does if not more often. My guess is that her choices reaffirms the society as whole's choices. It's kind of like how geshmak it is for me as a frum person to read a BT's story; for them it's how life affirming it is for someone to r"l go frie.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Movie recommendation for real life (free to watch on YouTube
by amother
13 Yesterday at 10:19 pm View last post
KRM went up in price
by amother
10 Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:19 am View last post
Need Civil War Movie titles for 14 yo dd
by amother
15 Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:30 pm View last post
Raising the price without informing the customer 16 Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:44 am View last post
Movie exodus
by amother
6 Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:55 am View last post

Jump to: