Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do you do in the Elevator??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Flatulence.

Totally.

Love to see the reactions. Twisted Evil

Try it. I dare you.

I am totally, totally joking!!!!!!!!!!! About ME doing it. But you try. Go ahead.

That's ME!

soap suds

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Every elevator should have - if they don't already - a changing table. You know, the ones that are flat against the wall, then you open them up.
They can double as a writing surface or breakfast tray.

Changing table that doubles as a breakfast tray? Shame on you Who do you think will wash that tray for you?

Hey, why are you all looking at me?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:31 am
soap suds wrote:
Changing table that doubles as a breakfast tray? Shame on you Who do you think will wash that tray for you?

Hmmm... But if you do, we can make a cooking demo in the elevator! YES!!!!!!!!!

That will gain us fame and acclaim.

Jewishfoodie? I don't know you, but your name implies this would be perfect for you...

jewwoman

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 7:28 am
InnerMe wrote:
Right on the button jewwoman! I think we have much in common. Wink

Lol we should meet up over sushi and kokosh cake in an elevator... Tongue Out

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 7:32 am
How long is your elevator ride?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 7:33 am
What to do in elevator?
Nothing you don't want seen on the video cams which are monitoring.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 7:49 am
amother wrote:
What to do in elevator?
Nothing you don't want seen on the video cams which are monitoring.

GREAT point!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Cleaning the silver sounds like fun. Should she bring along the dishwasher?

Dishwasher? Not for silver.
But that would be very courteous for anyone using the breakfast nook.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 8:47 am
soap suds wrote:

Believe me, if this post wouldn't have been quoted so, I'd have edited it by now.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 11:31 am
Has anyone suggested standing with your back to the door?

AWKWARD!

soap suds

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
Hmmm... But if you do, we can make a cooking demo in the elevator! YES!!!!!!!!!

That will gain us fame and acclaim.

Jewishfoodie? I don't know you, but your name implies this would be perfect for you...

Are you sure? I have my suspicions about that.

pause

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 2:30 pm
So here's what happened when I asked my Rav this shaila.
He asked me a lot of questions:
Where is your elevator located - is it a reshus yachid or a reshus rabim? Does your elevator ride take longer than k'dai achilas pras? How much before shekiya do you generally ride the elevator? Is riding the elevator a kavua thing by you or something you do only m'eis l'eis? Are you makpid to push the button yourself when you enter or do you ask a shaliach to do it for you? And if you do it yourself, do you do it k'darka with your finger or k'l'achar yad with your elbow or through a shinui with your nose?
And lots of such questions.

I will post back when I get a psak from him.

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 4:47 pm
I apologize if this is flippant, but I saw this and just had to post:

pause

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 5:02 pm
So my Rav just called back. And he said it wasn't a simple shaila and he needed to carefully consider all the angles, but eventually this is his conclusion:

L'chatchilla, if I ride the elevator at the same time every day, it's as if I acquired the rights to the elevator at that same time. Thus I should act the way I do at home whatever that might include. If, however, I am early/late one day, it's a safek if this klal applies and thus I should be machmir.

If my habits are more random, the elevator (for me) attains the status of a chutzah and I need to defer to the minhag hamakom. It's recommended to look at the majority of the people in the elevator at that time, and behave like they do, in accordance with acharay rabim l'hatos. After a careful bedika of my surroundings, if no majority behavior is noted (everyone is doing something different), OR if there are fewer than 3 other people in the elevator at that time (and thus there is no rabim), I should make sure to do something totally different than anyone else in order not to be machshil the next person who enters the elevator, and that lifnei eever lo seetain michshol strongly applies here.

He added that bishas hadchak, I have a heter to not look at all at what everyone is doing and to turn my body away, and this way I'm not mechuyav in any one specific action.

Someone posted up-thread about the risk of mixed dancing in the elevator, so I asked him about that. He responded by saying that if any of the other elevator riders are gentiles, it's a matter of yehareg v'al ya'avor and I must exit the elevator immediately, even if it's between floors.

Suffice it to say, this is MY psak that I got from MY rav. If you have a shaila about what you should do, YOU must ask your OWN shaila from your LOR.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 5:21 pm
pause wrote:
So my Rav just called back. And he said it wasn't a simple shaila and he needed to carefully consider all the angles, but eventually this is his conclusion:

L'chatchilla, if I ride the elevator at the same time every day, it's as if I acquired the rights to the elevator at that same time. Thus I should act the way I do at home whatever that might include. If, however, I am early/late one day, it's a safek if this klal applies and thus I should be machmir.

If my habits are more random, the elevator (for me) attains the status of a chutzah and I need to defer to the minhag hamakom. It's recommended to look at the majority of the people in the elevator at that time, and behave like they do, in accordance with acharay rabim l'hatos. After a careful bedika of my surroundings, if no majority behavior is noted (everyone is doing something different), OR if there are fewer than 3 other people in the elevator at that time (and thus there is no rabim), I should make sure to do something totally different than anyone else in order not to be machshil the next person who enters the elevator, and that lifnei eever lo seetain michshol strongly applies here.

He added that bishas hadchak, I have a heter to not look at all at what everyone is doing and to turn my body away, and this way I'm not mechuyav in any one specific action.

Someone posted up-thread about the risk of mixed dancing in the elevator, so I asked him about that. He responded by saying that if any of the other elevator riders are gentiles, it's a matter of yehareg v'al ya'avor and I must exit the elevator immediately, even if it's between floors.

Suffice it to say, this is MY psak that I got from MY rav. If you have a shaila about what you should do, YOU must ask your OWN shaila from your LOR.

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT!

Leriem

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 5:29 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Honestly, I look at my phone and don’t care what messages it’s sending.

I’d never even think twice (once)into what to do on an elevator. Just stand there quietly and wait for your floor. Period. No brainer.

pause

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 7:45 pm
zaq wrote:
THIS. IS. BRILLIANT!

Awwww. Thank you!

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 11:19 pm
pause wrote:
After a careful bedika of my surroundings...

Do you have to count the days every time you make a bedika?

And what if you find blood?

Do you have to start all over?

InnerMe

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:48 am
Pause you are way too funny, and on a super high madreiga. No time to reply to all the supercalifragilisticespiolidocious (forgive me if the spelling is off...) suggestions..as the elevator just arrived to my floor..

But thanks for laughing and having some elevator fun with me.... Oops just missed my floor I dont want to see

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:54 am
InnerMe wrote:
Pause you are way too funny, and on a super high madreiga. No time to reply to all the supercalifragilisticespiolidocious (forgive me if the spelling is off...) suggestions..as the elevator just arrived to my floor..

But thanks for laughing and having some elevator fun with me.... Oops just missed my floor I dont want to see

Looks like another question for Pause's Rav. What happens if you miss your floor? Do you have go all the way back to the bottom and start again? What if you made conversation the first time around - is it a bracha levatalah?

Last edited by soap suds on Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette