Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do you do in the Elevator??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

pause

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:06 am
InnerMe wrote:
Pause you are way too funny, and on a super high madreiga. No time to reply to all the supercalifragilisticespiolidocious (forgive me if the spelling is off...) suggestions..as the elevator just arrived to my floor..

But thanks for laughing and having some elevator fun with me.... Oops just missed my floor I dont want to see

I take these things super seriously.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:03 am
Ask a rav? Really? This is your personhood.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:42 pm

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:54 pm
pause wrote:
So here's what happened when I asked my Rav this shaila.
He asked me a lot of questions:
Where is your elevator located - is it a reshus yachid or a reshus rabim? Does your elevator ride take longer than k'dai achilas pras? How much before shekiya do you generally ride the elevator? Is riding the elevator a kavua thing by you or something you do only m'eis l'eis? Are you makpid to push the button yourself when you enter or do you ask a shaliach to do it for you? And if you do it yourself, do you do it k'darka with your finger or k'l'achar yad with your elbow or through a shinui with your nose?
And lots of such questions.

I will post back when I get a psak from him.

Look, I liked your post. very impressed even that you ask your rav about every move you make. but really, don't mean to bash or a/t ch'v. but why does he have to know every time you go in the elevator? I mean its your body. do you also consult him every time you blow your nose?
please don't take it the wrong way. I'm the last person to mock someones chumras. I do respect your take on elevator rides but yet...

pause

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 5:36 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Look, I liked your post. very impressed even that you ask your rav about every move you make. but really, don't mean to bash or a/t ch'v. but why does he have to know every time you go in the elevator? I mean its your body. do you also consult him every time you blow your nose?
please don't take it the wrong way. I'm the last person to mock someones chumras. I do respect your take on elevator rides but yet...

I learned that it's a shaila, so I ask every time. This is true yiddishkeit. Obviously there are people who do whatever they want... It's a real hefkerus. Yeridas hadoros.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:08 pm
pause wrote:
I learned that it's a shaila, so I ask every time. This is true yiddishkeit. Obviously there are people who do whatever they want... It's a real hefkerus. Yeridas hadoros.

I would never bash you as amother but seriously?!? Just because YOU ask every time doesn't mean that someone who doesn't isn't practicing real Yiddishkeit. It's definitely not real Yiddishkeit to insinuate that someone who doesn't ask is like a [non jew]. Ladies, we just finished the three weeks. Didn't you learn anything about sinas chinam? Live and let live. Especially in the elevator.

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:43 pm
pause wrote:

The Vaad Harabbanim needs to come out with a kol kore about this.

We really must have elevator rules...

Especially in publications that advertise elevators.

Scandalous!

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:52 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
The Vaad Harabbanim needs to come out with a kol kore about this.

We really must have elevator rules...

Especially in publications that advertise elevators.

Scandalous!

Elevator takanos? What is this world coming to? Elevators should be banned completely! Our great-grandmothers managed just fine without them! At the very least we should have separate elevators for men and women.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:53 pm
I just bring a portable mechitzah with me every time I go into the elevator. And a security camera, which is equivalent to a yotzei venichnas according to some opinions.

But as to what to DO, obviously, you have to say Tehillim in the elevator if it is daytime. I thought EVERYONE knew that!!!! Isn't this a site for frum ladies?!??!

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
I just bring a portable mechitzah with me every time I go into the elevator.

Why in the world would you do THAT?

If a man won't look me in the face when he wants to ride my elevator, well then, he can WALK!

Talking about pushing the wrong buttons... Sheesh.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:04 pm
Quote:
But pray tell, is 14 a special number for Novardekers?

13 is the gematria of Echad. Also Ahavah.

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:

But as to what to DO, obviously, you have to say Tehillim in the elevator if it is daytime. I thought EVERYONE knew that!!!! Isn't this a site for frum ladies?!??!

And what if it's the middle of the night? Tikkun Chatzos?

pause

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:46 pm
I'm laughing at the spiritual turn this thread took. LOL

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:13 pm
So here's what happened:
I finally got off at my floor, after going up and down, and down and up, and nearly vomitting. Thankfully, I had what to DO in the elevator, because all you ladies were keeping me busy with your wise suggestions.

But today in the elevator, I again took a look at my phone (what else??) and I see that there is very serious halachic shailos about what to do in an elevator that I never even knew about?

Why didn't my school teach me anything?
They droned on about this and that, while neglecting the very serious elevator halachos.

Maybe they were scared to delve into it because of the very strong opposing opinions, and intricate detailed halachos? Well, than they should open a bakery!

End rant. End bash. My school was wonderful. It prepared me for life. It gave me skills. It taught me about relationships. It gave me a solid torah base. (see? that was my teshuvah) even if they didn't teach me the very serious elevator halachos.

Now this is the end of my rant. Really.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
I just bring a portable mechitzah with me every time I go into the elevator. And a security camera, which is equivalent to a yotzei venichnas according to some opinions.

Why don't you leave it there?
Isn't it clumsy to have it on you all the time?
Or are you doing it to gain more schar due the greater tircha involved?

Boca00

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:27 pm
InnerMe wrote:
So here's what happened:
I finally got off at my floor, after going up and down, and down and up, and nearly vomitting. Thankfully, I had what to DO in the elevator, because all you ladies were keeping me busy with your wise suggestions.

But today in the elevator, I again took a look at my phone (what else??) and I see that there is very serious halachic shailos about what to do in an elevator that I never even knew about?

They droned on about this and that, while neglecting the very serious elevator halachos.

Maybe they were scared to delve into it because of the very strong opposing opinions, and intricate detailed halachos? Well, than they should open a bakery!

End rant. End bash. My school was wonderful. It prepared me for life. It gave me skills. It taught me about relationships. It gave me a solid torah base. (see? that was my teshuvah) even if they didn't teach me the very serious elevator halachos.

They clearly hold that being in an elevator with a man is yichud so they didn't dream you would go into one. I hope that your principal isn't on here.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:31 pm
InnerMe wrote:
So here's what happened:

Many schools, in the old days, had a weak halacha curriculum because they expected the girls to learn by osmosis from their families. But many of us (not necessarily me) had parents and grandparents for whom it was a kuntz and heroic if they were shomer Shabbos. The nuances had been lost over the generations of galus America. Or perhaps, the ancestors back in the heim never even saw an elevator to learn what the halachic issues are.

But thanks to this thread, your bobbes and zeides are finally, finally shepping the full nachas they so richly deserve.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:56 pm
Boca00 wrote:
They clearly hold that being in an elevator with a man is yichud so they didn't dream you would go into one. I hope that your principal isn't on here.

If that's the case.. than why didn't I learn it as part of hilchus yichud?!
Sorry, principal, you won't win this one.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:58 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Many schools, in the old days, had a weak halacha curriculum because they expected the girls to learn by osmosis from their families. But many of us (not necessarily me) had parents and grandparents for whom it was a kuntz and heroic if they were shomer Shabbos. The nuances had been lost over the generations of galus America. Or perhaps, the ancestors back in the heim never even saw an elevator to learn what the halachic issues are.

But thanks to this thread, your bobbes and zeides are finally, finally shepping the full nachas they so richly deserve.

That's all apologetics. No offense, Pink, you are super wise.
But to forego something so basic, and then offer lousy excuses?!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 4:21 pm
InnerMe wrote:
That's all apologetics. No offense, Pink, you are super wise.
But to forego something so basic, and then offer lousy excuses?!

How old was whoever was designing the curriculum? Is it possible that in his or her day, it was still SOP to have an elevator operator? Maybe rabbanim felt that obviated any yichud issues, which is why there are so few teshuvos on the matter, and which impacted our formal chinuch.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette