Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
HOw much do you spend on groceries a week?
1  2  Next

RedVines

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:05 am
I don't know if this is too personal of a question...I am just curious.

I feel like I spend soo much on groceries, but everything I buy is nessecary, including shabbos I probably spend between $120 and $160 a week. I try to stay on a budget but it is very difficult.

Am I nuts: is this so little or soo much?

Yael

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:18 am
for the regular weekly shopping I spend about 25-30 on vegies, and 60-80 on groceries, but this doesnt include the things my husband gets which probably add up to 20 per week.
so probably a weekly total of a little more than a hundred, although I'm not really counting the juices we buy at walmart. or the times we stock up on fleishigs and that comes out to alot, but not so often. or the times I stock up on cereal during a sale and then have enough to last for 5 months. or the weeks when I realize I dont actually need anything! just the fruits and vegies.

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:34 am
I spend between 100 and 150 a week, that is just on food. Once a month I spend for diapers 60 dollars.

miriam

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:35 am
Does the number also depend on how many people are in your family?

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:35 am
it all depends on how many people you're feeding- how many kids you have, do you make dinner every night and are eat-outs in this cheshbon, do you have guests on shabbos, do your kids get lunch at school/camp. also do you buy more ready-made stuff (frozen pizza, cake mixes...)- those cost much more $ (but much less time) than making it on your own.
is this only food? or other things, like paper goods, cleaning products...

on just food, for my dh, myself, and my 2 y.o., + about 2 guests for shabbos, I guestimate that I spend $60/week.

Tovah

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:25 am
anywhere btw 150-200 but that includes diapers and formula.

supermom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:33 am
shock how do you spend sixty dollars a week on food? when we didn't have kids we were spending 100 dollars. how do you buy shabbos with less then sixty dollars don't you need like challah, grapejuice, meat, dips, fish, and etc. and with guest at that.

we spend about 200 dollars a week or less that is including diapers, and wipes.

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:42 am
I don't know... I bake challah, don't buy grape juice EVERY week (never have wine), that was NOT including diapers/formula/paper goods. we only have meat in cholent, otherwise it's chicken, and we happen to like the cheapest kind- thighs. we mostly drink water, so rarely buy soda. buy cheapest OJ and AJ, which we water down for dd. oh, and dh usually eats lunch and sometimes breakfast at yeshiva.

also, it prob. depends on where you live. kosher food isn't that expensive here (relative to other places, NOT relative to non-kosher food). and the kosher store has cheaper produce than any of the other grocery stores!

Kumphort

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:45 am
0613 what kinds of things do u server for suppers?

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 12:53 pm
shabbos leftovers (usually twice)!!!!! my dh would eat them every night if there were enough Rolling Eyes . milchigs is either some type of noodle dish, home-made pizza, fried fish. fleish is meatballs, stir fry chicken, hotdogs/hamburgers, roasted chicken.
sunday (and sometimes monday) is shabbos leftovers. mon. and wed. is fleish- if no more shabbos leftovers monday, then I'll make enough of monday's dinner to be leftover for wed. and then tues.'s dinner is milchig, which I try to make enough to be leftover for thurs.

and I thought of another expense that I don't always have- my mom sometimes picks up cereal for me at BJ's and she won't let me pay her back for it.

RedVines

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 12:55 pm
Meat and chicken is super expensive here. Plus milchigs. can you belive one thing of cream cheese is 5.99???? shredded cheese is 5.00....

But I do the bulk of my groceries I buy at wal-mart.
They have the lowest prices by far!

Tovah

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 6:17 pm
really? I once was in walmart and thought I'd check out the prices and I didn't find them to be the cheapest - they also were not stocked well

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:20 pm
tovah, I think the prices at walmart in the states are lower priced then the walmarts here.

myomi

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:32 pm
today I spent 170 on groceries for shabbat,we(my husband and I,baby doesn't eat shabbat meal yet) are having 3 guests,plus I just moved into a new duplex last week,so we had to buy a couple of basic food items that we need that we didnt bother to buy right before we moved. I haven't bought meat yet(im making a sticky rottiserie style roast chicken,and beef and broccoli as my meat dishes),that willl probably come to about 30 dollars,chicken is expensive right now in montreal b/c there was a chicken strike,and the plant closed down,so the chicken we have is being imported from empire in the states and chai poultry in toronto.

imaamy

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:35 pm
Myomi, that is Canadian dollars? So that is about $140 US and that does seem like a lot. Is it just for Shabbat or other meals besides the staples you needed?

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:47 pm
I think we spend a ridiculous amount of money on food, but I'm feeding 8 people (plus shabbos guests) and I have a teenage boy and a near teenage boy. Need I say more?

BTW - we rarely eat meat during the week, but kosher food is quite expensive here.

I try to buy 'staple' food at Aldi's (eggs, flour, sugar) and order veggies from the farmer's market which is much cheaper.

Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:04 am
kosher food here is insanely expensive, so we eat meat only on shabbos, and once a week we eat chicken. when someone comes from israel, we always get a suitcase with food (candy, veggie food, cakes, chicken soup, etc).

october is going to be a very expensive month, yom tov, shabbos, yom tov, shabbos... and with lots of guests...B"H

myomi

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:01 am
its for shabbat,plus groceries that we need around the house,like cheeses and snacks and bread and eggs,milk etc. we fianlly settled into out home and did groceries plus shabbat foods(like canned olives for and olive salad,cold cuts for chefs salad,bag salads,nuts,lots of veggies and fruit and dairy products,dairy products are crazy expensive like 6 dollars for cheese!)

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:09 am
Food here is cheaper than other places. But we still spend too much!!

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 5:04 am
I only cook for two, and we spend about $60 just on produce. although I am budget conscious, fresh produce is a neccesity in my opinion. We do not eat much meat( we eat a lot of fish,eggs, chicken) so maybe about $50 on all our other food.
A good tip for spending less is 1- shop with a list
2- buy what you use and need. Otherwise the food will end up sitting in your pantry or freezer forever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics