Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
HOw much do you spend on groceries a week?
Previous  1  2

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 1:40 pm
Is there now going to be another thread on how much salary your husband makes a month. Confused I mean what do u hope to accomplish in this thread besides comparing Confused

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 1:47 pm
I agree with you Freilich. I was starting to feel guilty about my grocery shopping and then thought hey, it's my choice what to buy, who cares if someone can manage on $2.00 a day growing their own vegetables, shechting their own chickens and eating bread and water, we can't!

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:30 pm
Wow, I guess I am not shocked that even this thread can shed a negative light. Honestly I look at this forum as a place to discuss...whatever. In no way was this set out to make people feel badly for how much /little they spend. I came home from grocerey shopping and I felt like I spent a lot and I was curious as to what others did, maybe to even learn from others on how to manage...
hmmm should this thread go into the "controversial section" as well???????

Aish

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 10:58 am
mommyoftwo, thank for the laugh Very Happy
anyway, we have a budget for food and pretty good about staying on it. we do save $ b/c I make most things myself. there is no need to buy bread/challah, we make it. that stuffs a fortune!. 1 challah is $3. thats at least $9, if not more, a week on challas. I make the dough in the bread machine and then the kids get to make their own challah. same with many other things. we make our own dips. I don't live in the kitchen, by the way, but honestly, these things take no time at all.
babaganush, just roast the eggplant in the oven and then add mayo etc... thats about 3-4 minutes. chumus, just soak the chickpeas, add olive oil etc... hand blender it and thats about 3-4 minutes as well. fruits and veggies, I buy whats affordable. it may sound crazy but its true. and B"H we are not lacking in produce. but there is no reason to pay $5 for a celery root!!! thats insane. so we save however we can. we don't always but plastic. diapers are in bulk and generic, same with wipes, or if we have coupons, we use that. cereal we don't buy often b/c the kids have mostly oatmeal. or other things. they have cereal on shabbos. we will buy salmon in bulk when there is a sale. and B"H there are often. same with chicken and meat. so our budget is approximately a bit over $100 a week.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics