Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
24 weeks - bedrest

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 11:01 am
Hi,

I'm 24 weeks along with twins, and my cervix is at 1.3. I was by my MFM yesterday who wants me home and mostly on bed rest (but not "official bedrest")

Was anyone else in the same situation? Any advice?
I'm really scared...

Thanks!!

happymom123

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 11:12 am
Bshaah Tova! Hope it all goes smoothly!

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 11:14 am
Please please get the shot for lung development (if you haven't yet)
B'sha tova

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 27 2018, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Please please get the shot for lung development (if you haven't yet)
B'sha tova

Yes, I'm on progesterone, and I'm scheduled to get the steroid shots iy"H.
And I'm hearing scary stories of people that lost their twins because they went into labor too early. I'm really scared about this... anyone have any advice? Anything more I can do?

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 5:57 pm
Is it your first pregnancy? 1,3 you mean opened or thinned? It makes a huge difference at a first pregnancy (many people aren't aware of this. Even my midwife didn't know) I had this and was bedridden. B''h it saved my baby. Also got injections. And I took daily meds to use vaginally to strengthen my cervix and other meds to stop the contractions

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 9:16 pm
So I didn't have much time before to explain... I see my post is rather mixed up, well...

By a first pregnancy the cervix thins out and then opens. By a next pregnancy it doesn't thin out but opens without thinning out first. The cervix is a muscle and can become thicker again after it was very thin already (only by a first pregnancy) once it's open it can't close anymore. When a person is on bedrest there is less pressure on the cervix. Also if the contractions are under control the cervix can 'relax' (like a muscle) and become thicker again. That's what happened to me. The dr said my water was funnel shaped before I went on bedrest and after a few days on strict bedrest and lot's of meds, the water was nice round and the cervix became thicker. By me bedrest was very effective (I was also hospitalized when bedrest wasn't enough)

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,

I'm 24 weeks along with twins, and my cervix is at 1.3. I was by my MFM yesterday who wants me home and mostly on bed rest (but not "official bedrest")

Was anyone else in the same situation? Any advice?
I'm really scared...

Thanks!!

Hi. Your dr hasnt suggested doing a cerclage to hold the cervix?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:09 am
Hey. I was on bed rest at 24 weeks with a,single pregnancy 3 times I took the vaginal progesterone which was,a lifesaver the progesterone injections and other medications as well aa,staying in bed just do what ur Dr says and ull b best off I still had 3 preemies but x as early as I wouldve

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 2:12 am
Please try to rest as much as possible. You don't want preemie twins it's not easy.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 8:51 am
I had same thing. I had something put in that made cervix longer and then I was basically back to normal. No bed rest. And no injections needed for lungs. Feel free to ask anything....

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 9:41 am
I had the same problem. By my mid pregnancy ultrasound, my cervix messuered under 3 cm. I was told to take it easy. I was told that if I had my cervix surgically closed I would never be able to deliver vaginally. By 28 weeks my cervix measured under 2 cm. I was given the steroids shot. I delivered at 37 weeks. This was a Singleton.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:08 pm
I got progesteron to take vaginally. It was very uncomfortable but my dr said it has a stronger effect. I also took daily adalat, it's officially for the heart or blood pressure but it can also help to stop contractions. then I got indocid to take only when I felt I had a lot of contractions it's officially a painkiller but it also makes the uterus relax.

By the smallest change go to your dr/hospital. Better for nothing than that you lost precious time...
I ended up in the hospital and there I got 48 hours magnesium. The contractions stopped totally but only for those 48 hours, after that I had less contractions than before. And it had an effect for 6 weeks (I hope you won't but if you end up being really desperate there is also prepar that you can take. But only if it's really necessary as it makes you feel very very very sick).
Anyway I hope I gave you lot's of information. There is so so much you can take to help. And remember that even though many dr claim that bedrest isn't effective. It can definitely help, and a lot.
Listen to your body. What makes contractions worse? If you feel that certain things make it worse be careful. It can be stupid things like not going to the toilet when you need. Stress. Relations... good luck

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:54 pm
Hi everyone! OP here.
Just an update. So my cervix is between 1 and two open now, and I'm in the hospital on bed rest. I do not have any contractions (which is good) and my doctor doesn't know why and how my cervix opened without contractions.
I'm being monitored for contractions twice a day and meanwhile I'm good.
I'm on vaginal progesterone and had the steroid lung shots already.
Anyone else was ever in my situation?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
Hi everyone! OP here.
Just an update. So my cervix is between 1 and two open now, and I'm in the hospital on bed rest. I do not have any contractions (which is good) and my doctor doesn't know why and how my cervix opened without contractions.

Yes, was in a similar situation but I did have contractions which is probably what caused my cervix to open.
I did Bh get the steroids which was amazing and they were born 11 weeks early. they were on oxygen for about a week. Spend 2 months in the hospital but otherwise they’re doing well. This was 3 years ago and you would never know they were preemies.
I’m not going to pretend having preemies is easy, it was horrible. However, in the long run it worked out Bh Bh Bh.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
Hi everyone! OP here.

Hi op...I mentioned earlier but maybe u missed my question . Did your Dr mention doing a cervical cerclage? (Although now that u say ur open I don't even know if it's still an option...but before that)

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
I had the same problem. By my mid pregnancy ultrasound, my cervix messuered under 3 cm. I was told to take it easy. I was told that if I had my cervix surgically closed I would never be able to deliver vaginally. By 28 weeks my cervix measured under 2 cm. I was given the steroids shot. I delivered at 37 weeks. This was a Singleton.

Are you referring to having a cerclage???

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 10:53 am
OP here... My doctor said that it's too late for a cerclage.
amother with the preemie twins... thanks for the chizuk! I hope we have a success story too! Smile

rzab

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 2:38 pm
nine years ago, when I was pregnant with my twins I was put on bedrest at 21 weeks for a short cervix. I did get the steroid shot, but that was it.
I ended up giving birth at 33 weeks. both babies were over 4 pounds and they only needed to be in the nicu for 2 weeks. within 6 months, you couldnt tell that they were premies.
feel good!bedrest is really hard!!!

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:55 pm
Try to relax. Read. Watch movies. This is so hard Hug Hug Hug
I hope all goes well from now and that you have healthy babies in the right time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more