Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you wash your dishes?
Previous  1  2  3

keym

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:17 pm
My gushers get hidden in my husbands armoire. But my chocolate stash is hidden under my pile of unpaired socks. No one ever looks there.
Its way more fun to barge in "Maaaa, you never wash my socks. Its gross and dysfunctional".

Hey, I've offered them to pair socks. They turn me down. Clearly they don't even want the chocolate I have (hidden) there.

enneamom

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:43 pm
soap suds wrote:
The real question is how do you dry your dishes? And how do you prevent people from using your kids' bath towels to do so?

Sudsy got to the bath towel joke before me, oh well.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:09 am
keym wrote:
My gushers get hidden in my husbands armoire. But my chocolate stash is hidden under my pile of unpaired socks. No one ever looks there.
Its way more fun to barge in "Maaaa, you never wash my socks. Its gross and dysfunctional".

Hey, I've offered them to pair socks. They turn me down. Clearly they don't even want the chocolate I have (hidden) there.

Good to know.
I'll relate that to the FBI. hold on while I get a search warrant.

Just one question before I send to confiscate that chocolate. does it not melt from laying under the socks & just want to make sure its the right flavor choc- is it nougat filled? (oops, that was 2 questions)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:32 am
A man went to visit his 90 year old grandfather in a very secluded rural area of the state he lived in.

After spending the night, his grandfather prepared breakfast for him consisting of eggs and bacon. He noticed a film like substance on his plate and he questioned his grandfather, "are these plates clean?"

His grandfather replied, "Those plates are as clean as cold water can get them, so go on and finish your meal".

That afternoon, while eating the hamburgers his grandfather made for lunch, he noticed tiny specks around the edge of his plate and a substance that looked like dried egg yokes, so he ask again, "Are you sure these plates are clean"?

Without looking up from his hamburger, the grandfather says, "I told you before; those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don't ask me about it anymore!"

Later that afternoon, he was on his way out to get dinner in a nearby town. As he was leaving, his grandfather's dog started to growl and wouldn't let him pass so he said, "Grandfather, your dog won't let me out".

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV his grandfather shouted, "Cold Water, Go lay down!"

jewwoman

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:37 am
I cant believe I missed this thread popping up. Well that's what happens when I leave my dishes all piled up in the sink to be washed and thats what I was doing, cleaning them, whilst you were threading it...
I tried to leave them there and see if by some miracle they would wash themselves and put themselves away but I got evils from the spoons who started growing extra dirt...tmi im sure...
Anyway thats how I spent my evening. Hands deep in warm soapy water washing and scrubbing all the dishes from the past year. Why now you ask?
Well with Elul fast approaching I better start changing my ways if I want a cleaner year.. Tongue Out Tongue Out

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:59 am
FF
your post had me Rolling Laughter
now Cold Water, go get me that chocolate please

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 8:12 am
pause wrote:
This totally sounds like another shaila for my Rav. It's mammish not pashut this ma'aseh. LOL

I'm afraid to hear the psak... does he hold you have to hold the dishes a certain way or his say is more in the water temp, sudsy flavor & multitasking options?

mine holds that its l'chatchila to have at least a fleishig dishwasher. those being machmir should have a parve & milchig as well. chosid is one who has a treif one so clenaing ladys dishes get washed properly.

he holds so strongly of this, (kind of like compared to bc. ya'know need it for sanity)

Unfortunatley for my family, we are non conformists & so we don't have any.
I'm waiting back for a psak to see if we need to collect tzedaka for this. (its not necessarily a $ issue. its space as well) only thing is, I wouldn't be able to look giver in eye for needing to collect... embarrassed

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 9:58 am
Why should I wash dishes?

Wasn’t I the one who prepared all the food, served it, cleared up... now you want me to wash the dirty dishes too????

My sinks store dirty dishes very well... I do pour soap and let them soak... and soak .. and soak... until Maria shows up to wash them once a week.... if I’m lucky 2x a week....

Don’t ask me how I wash dishes... I don’t!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:50 pm
I must say that all of you trying to figure out how to wash your dishes are just lousy cooks.
If your food was any good, you wouldn’t have this dilemma. Your family would lick their plates clean and then fight for anything left in pots and pans.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:13 pm
Can’t say I really think about how I wash dishes any more than I think about how I tie my shoes. I do both on autopilot. Though I do wear gloves for dishes and not for shoes. Very difficult to tie shoes while gloved.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:50 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I take my rings off. No gloves. Warmish water, not hot, because our sinks aren’t kosher. I prefer to be listening to a podcast at the same time. Then my husband wants to talk to me and I can’t press the off button on my headphones because my hands are wet. So I’ll try to listen to both at the same time. Or he’ll turn off the headphones for me. But then when he’s finished talking pressing the headphones won’t always turn on the podcast again. Sometimes I’ll have to dry my hands, take out my phone (tucked into my skirt because most of my clothes don’t have pockets), unlock my phone and restart the podcast. It’s a whole big thing.

Wow, I really love sharing this personal and crucial information about my life with you guys. I feel so vulnerable, but closer to you all.

I'm totally rolling at your last line!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:53 pm
pause wrote:
This totally sounds like another shaila for my Rav. It's mammish not pashut this ma'aseh. LOL

Omg, I am laughing!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:54 pm
simba wrote:
Can't we talk about happy things?
I can't give any examples at the moment because none are available but I'm sure you creative ladies can do better then this.
Maybe, where do you hide you gushers so your kids won't find them?

I like that. Please do start another thread!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:55 pm
keym wrote:

Ok, sorry, I'm totally bombarding this thead.. but LOL at the bolded!

geekima

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:04 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Do you wear gloves? do you multitask? dance to music? talk on the phone? let your mind go racing? plan your supper menu for the week? do you use soap suds? do you listen to a shiur?

share with us how the right way is to get those dishes clean!

TIA!

Well...I have no idea if it's the "right" way, but this is how I do it...

I have a trief sink (just one sink for the kitchen), so what my Rav has me do is wash each thing under the tap without letting anything sit in the sink, then put it in the proper drying rack (I have one for meat, one for dairy). If I need to let things soak, I have separate tubs that sit on the proper counter. When I'm on my game, I get the dishes dried and put away after I'm done washing.

We're hoping for a fleishig dishwasher sometime in the future, but for now, this system works even if it is a bit labor intensive. B"H, this is one of the times having a small family makes me happy.

Editing to add - Buying dish soap that smells nice to me, even if it costs more is one thing I do to make doing the dishes more appealing. That along with dish towels that I like.

Last edited by geekima on Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:05 pm
Ok, and now to answer this wonderful thought provoking question: How do I wash my dishes??

So firstly you should know that I'm Plastic Queen, it's simply not worth the washing, drying, putting away hassle, just so my food has a pretty place to sit on.

But sometimes you just gotta use it.. like when I bake a cake (that's the only reason I don't like baking and cooking! Exploding anger) and now there's some gooey crusty bundt pan (yeah, those are particularly nasty when it comes to getting them clean), an oily measuring cup, whisks that are dripping, or already crusty, handful of spoons and forks, and I'm surely missing things.. because this is way too little stuff.

Oh. So how I wash it?
I turn on the sink. I make it hottish. Then I take the sponge, and try not to inhale the scent of it. Then I clumsily scrub the stuff, because if you think an elevator is small. Think again. Then water starts landing in weird spots. Like the pantry next to my sink, and on the part of my shirt that leans on the wet counter. And then some more water, and more soap, and bam. One nasty dish down this list.

Have I covered it all?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry