Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Yiddish nickname for Levi

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:33 am
What's a typical or yiddish nickname for the name Levi?

I'm not looking for a nickname for a child, I'm trying to track down what someone whose name was Levi, may have been called.

Am I right that it wouldn't be Leib?

happymom123

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:39 am
Levik, Levike

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:40 am
Is there a Yiddish nickname for Levi? Leib is usually Aryeh or Yehuda, I think.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
What's a typical or yiddish nickname for the name Levi?

I'm not looking for a nickname for a child, I'm trying to track down what someone whose name was Levi, may have been called.

Am I right that it wouldn't be Leib?

You’re right - not Leib. Like someone already said, Yehuda and Aryeh are Laib, Leiby, Laibish in Yiddish.
Maybe it would help if you told us where and when this person you’re trying to track down lived. Levi by itself was not a common name in most Yiddish speaking areas. There were Levi Yitzchak’s in certain chassidic groups.
Levi doesn’t have a standard Yiddish nickname the way Dov is Ber or Berish.
I know of a family who thought someone had been named Levi and he was actually Yehuda but everyone called him Leiby.
Russian and Ukrainian Jews used Russian names. Hungarians used Hungarian nicknames. German Jews often used a German name and Levi might have become Leon.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:57 am
Levi does not have a nickname.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
You’re right - not Leib. Like someone already said, Yehuda and Aryeh are Laib, Leiby, Laibish in Yiddish.
Maybe it would help if you told us where and when this person you’re trying to track down lived. Levi by itself was not a common name in most Yiddish speaking areas. There were Levi Yitzchak’s in certain chassidic groups.
Levi doesn’t have a standard Yiddish nickname the way Dov is Ber or Berish.
I know of a family who thought someone had been named Levi and he was actually Yehuda but everyone called him Leiby.
Russian and Ukrainian Jews used Russian names. Hungarians used Hungarian nicknames. German Jews often used a German name and Levi might have become Leon.

Interesting, thank you. He lived in early 1800's in Lvov, now Ukraine but then may have been Poland or Austro-Hungary.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:14 pm
OP here. Interestingly, I just read that a nickname for Levi can be Gershon or Gershko. To me, this is funny because they're obviously 2 different names, Levi was a son of Gershon.

Has anyone else heard of this?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:18 pm
I haven’t heard a nickname for Levi (which I would pronounce LAY-vee), but a chassidish family I know has a Levi who pronounces his name as LYE-vee
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics