Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PLEASE HELP! Recurring strep throat

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:15 am
Can anyone out there please please give me some advice!
MY DD age 4 has been having strep throat every month! As soon as she's done her antibiotics, a week to ten days later she comes down with a new case. Fever, sore throat and stomach pain. I changed her toothbrush, pacifier and still this is her 7th or 8th in a row!
Doc wants her tonsils out, and I'm so so hesitant to do it!I read up about it and it doesn't seem to be the solution.
Has anyone had any natural solution to clear up this strep without surgery?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:50 am
No, my son had his tonsils taken out and I dont regret it for a second.
You can go to a healthfood store and try some vitamins, probiotics, garlic etc to boost immune system first...

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:53 am
Take her off gluten dairy and sugar ASAP. The strep is becoming resistant to antibiotics, you may want to look into treating with echinacea. High doses of probiotics (taken hours away from the abx or herbals) can help too. You may still have to go for tonsillectomy in the end, but at least you'll know you did what you could to prevent having to remove an organ that's important to her overall immune system...

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:57 am
Quote:
No, my son had his tonsils taken out and I dont regret it for a second.
You can go to a healthfood store and try some vitamins, probiotics, garlic etc to boost immune system first...

Thank you for your response. Can you please tell me why your son had his tonsils taken out? was it for strep? Did it help with him not getting strep again?
Thanks

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 9:30 am
My dd has strept Afew times recently. The last time she had eye and leg pain. Now for almost a week or so she got very anxious, aggressive, and has facial tics(eyes blinking rapidly). I just took her in for a blood test to check for PANDAS. the last time we checked it many years ago the # of strept antibodies was over 700. Which is high So I wudnt be surprised if it’s the case again!
I recommend giving her probiotics IF she’s not on meds now. And check for strept antibodies

HappyGoLucky1

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 10:01 am
Take them OUT!!
I was hesitant just as you were for 2 full years.... Nobody was pushing me, it was my decision... I finally buckled down and did it when he was 5. Best thing I EVER did!!
He's a totally different child.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 10:27 am
DD missed over half of kindergarten because of strep, and she kept passing it to me, too.

That summer we got her tonsils out, and it was unbelievable! Within 24 hours she had a whole new personality. Instead of whining, arguing, and being stubborn, she was sweet and pure sunshine. When you don't feel good, it affects everything.

B'H, neither of us has had strep since then, even though her classmates kept getting it.

THE TONSILS HAVE TO GO!!!

(BTW, you can search my old threads about strep, and read all about my adventures of having Scarlet Fever, and being in quarantine for almost 2 weeks. Fun times - NOT.)

zgp

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 10:33 am
Check the rest of the family. I had this with my dd and it turned out one of my other kids was carrying with no symptoms and as soon as the other kid took antibiotics, the first one stopped getting infections.

The other thing that helped by me was the earpopper machine which clears fluid in the ears. It cleared all the fluid which was sitting in her eustachian tubes and once the infection had no fluid to sit in, it cleared.

mommy201

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 10:36 am
My pediatrician mentioned to me a vitamin called Blis K12. I think you can get it amazon but it may be Cholov Stam. My daughters recurring strep ended so I didnt do it but it might be something you would want to look into.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:13 am
My dd was 4 also. She had strep for almost an entire year! I decided to take her to an ENT. We went to dr. rickert from NYU. He said she had the largest tonsils he had ever seen on a 4 year old. Anyway, before he recommended surgery, he gave us a nasal spray to see if we could shrink it, but he still felt we would need surgery anyway. Dd hated the nasal spray, and we just did the surgery anyway. Nowadays they don't remove entire tonsils or adenoids unless there is a really good reason. Instead they shave it down, which makes recovery much faster. Bh, bh, the strep issue went away. She still gets strep maybe once a year but that is it. She is 10 now.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:18 pm
You should try antibiotics for a longer time period first, 1 type for 10 days and another for another 10 days, really helps but...

taking out the tonsils is extremely effective. It was a lifesaver and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My son says he would do it again chas vshalom and all but that's how big a difference it made.

The recovery was hard but not nearly as bad as people made it sound. You just have to keep in mind that each day feels better,

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:22 pm
Recurring strep is usually a sign of parasites.
Address that issue as well as boost immune system.
Try grapefruit seed extract.
Also there is a spray call thieves to spray into the throat to kill the bacteria.
R”sh

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:35 pm
Is the doctor prescribing the same antibiotic each time? I would ask if the doctor can order a strep test where the lab check to see which antibiotic would be effective. it may be that the antibiotic used for treatment is not effective for this strain, or the bacteria is resistant to one or more antibiotic treatments.

Refuah Shelaima!

tsc3

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:41 pm
I second checking everyone in the family for strep. 2 of my kids were carriers with no symptoms and my husband kept getting. Treated them and he stopped getting.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 2:11 pm
We dealt with recurring strep for years. We tried our utmost to avoid surgery. But surgery was unavoidable and we had the tonsils taken out at age 9.
Please try one round of natural remedies from the health food store to see if you can keep the infections away, but if it doesn't have the desired effect just go for the surgery.
I really regret pushing off the inevitable. My daughter suffered. She was subjected to multiple rounds of antibiotics. She had complications from the strep that could have been avoided.
We tried everything. We visited ENTs, infectious disease doctors, natural health practitioners. She was on the strongest antibiotics for weeks at a time, more than once, to try to eradicate the strep from her body. She had to take 7 probiotics a day while she was on it to protect her stomach as it can c"v have terrible side effects. She was on tuberculosis medicine rifampin more than once to try to eradicate the strep once and for all.
And when we finally had the tonsils removed at age 9, we were warned ahead of time about the hard recovery because of her age and the younger she would have been the easier the recovery would have been on her body.
I am so so grateful that her tonsils are out. Because of her history she had a full burn off surgery and not just the standard scrape down surgery, so the risk of regrowing would be less.
I only wish we would have known that we were just pushing off the inevitable and there was no way to avoid the surgery altogether. We could have avoided so much pain.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:38 pm
mommy201 wrote:
My pediatrician mentioned to me a vitamin called Blis K12. I think you can get it amazon but it may be Cholov Stam. My daughters recurring strep ended so I didnt do it but it might be something you would want to look into.

I got my child's tonsils taken out for other reasons, but wanted to say that a few people have mentioned this - there are actually studies that show this might help to end recurring strep. It's not a Vitamin, it's probiotics. Of course, you have to make sure you don't have someone in the family who's a silent reservoir who keeps passing the strep back to your child.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 5:03 pm
Get the tonsils removed. Too many antibiotics aren't healthy either. Everything has risks- including antibiotics, but if she's having a few strep throats a year it needs to come out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics