Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Will I ever change?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 4:43 pm
I’ve struggled with my weight at my life.
I’m 29 I have 2 kids. In the last year & half I lost 65 lbs!! I have about 15 to go to be a healthy weight.
I love food. I really enjoy good food. Some how I am able to control myself & not eat everything I want to.
I was hoping that losing the weight will “cure” me. But I see that it’s not the case. Every single day is a struggle not to eat the sweet or fatty foods I want to. I’m constantly thinking about food.
Is this something that I will always struggle with? Is there a way to “cure” myself?
Anyone understand me?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:06 pm
Totally.

When I was a dieting teen, someone told me it's a lifelong struggle. I didn't believe her. I thought it was a matter of losing weight and zehu.

She was right Twisted Evil

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:07 pm
I totally understand you!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:10 pm
Same here.
Everytime I think ok now I will lose all the extra pounds and then I will be thin and finished but no its a life sentence. It never ends. For those who have a weight problem it is something one needs to be on top of always! And boy it is hard!

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:12 pm
Can you adjust your diet to include those foods once in while?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:19 pm
What is it that you crave? Often cravings are more about the neurological response they produce than about the actual taste. Dairy and gluten (as well as soy and corn) are highly addictive, their proteins act like opioids in the bloodstream. Sugar has been proven via scientific studies to be more addictive than heroin and cocaine. Also, many people suffer from yeast overgrowth in their guts which causes them to crave sugar and carbs, as can parasites. Obviously, if you are even slightly insulin resistant and your blood sugar tends to spike and dip that will interfere with normal hunger patterns. Thyroid can be an issue too, even if labs look perfect. Sometimes it's just an addictive personality kind of thing. I haven't gotten there yet myself, but I believe cutting out addictive foods is the only way to be cured once and for all. I've read about, but never tried, supplements that can help cut carb cravings, and the scientific explanation for how it works. Look into Chromium, glutamine, berberine.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
I’m 29 I have 2 kids. In the last year & half I lost 65 lbs!! I have about 15 to go to be a healthy weight.
I love food. I really enjoy good food. Some how I am able to control myself & not eat everything I want to.
I was hoping that losing the weight will “cure” me. But I see that it’s not the case. Every single day is a struggle not to eat the sweet or fatty foods I want to. I’m constantly thinking about food.
Is this something that I will always struggle with? Is there a way to “cure” myself?
Anyone understand me?

I've always been very thin, but in later years I've had to diet. It never does end - it's always hard to stop yourself from eating. The only thing that overcomes it is liking the end result and not wanting to go back. There's no magic cure for not wanting to eat - the only time it happens is with God forbid illness and for old age. So be grateful your body is working properly!

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:27 pm
I agree with much of what Cyan said.

Figuring out trigger foods is a big piece of the puzzle. My biggest seem to be potatoes, ice cream, and chocolate.

Look for the things that if you eat them one day you want them again the next. Or, if you eat them, you find yourself wanting to eat more even though you are no longer hungry. Or, you no longer can tell when they don't taste quite as good because you are full.

I find that I can only "hear" my body's signals when the addiction is broken. Enough time away from sugar (especially glucose, but including too much fruit) and simple carbs can help my system reset.

If I make a point to limit these things for a day or two after indulging, I find it easier to maintain stability..

Leriem

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone understand me?

Yes, because for some, food is an addiction. And addictions don’t go away, even if they’re under control,

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:21 pm
I have news for you. I was and am, what people call, naturally thin, but food is a struggle for me to. While I'm nursing, I can eat more without it showing BH, but as soon as I start weaning... the pounds pile on. Not enough that you would know, but my clothes don't fit. So instead of buying new clothing, I reduced my food intake.
My friend who was always 10 sizes larger than me and now lost it all was poking fun of me that I'm on a diet. "What are you trying to lose, your left elbow fat?" But she didn't get it. I've been watching what I'm eating since I'm a teenager. I'm a disciplined person so I never let myself go completely. I'm always watching what I eat. I was never able to consume a whole bag of potato chips or Ostreicher chocolate chip cookies like she could.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:44 pm
I'm slim... I have to watch what I eat every day, and more so as I age.

I've reached a point where I can look at chips, cookies, etc., and know that I will hate how they make me feel when they show up on the scale a few days later.

I tell myself that I can eat whatever I please at shul kiddush on Shabbos, and that I can have a dessert after the Shabbos seudos. I don't always indulge, but knowing that I have a built in time to eat whatever I'd like (and having it limited to very narrow items) does help me get through the week, even if I pass on the chips and desserts more often than not.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:50 pm
I struggled and have been through every diet and extreme out there. What is working for me now is going grain and sugar free. When I ate healthy grains, even sugar free ones, I was always hungry. One day I decide "enough!" and stopped grains, corn, potatoes, and sugar. I started a thread looking to see if someone wants to join me.
I don't count calories or carbs in beans, but I'm finding that I am full and satisfied much faster. On Shabbos I have whole wheat matzah.
In just under two weeks I feel so much calmer about food. I haven't weighed myself, but my I feel less bloated. I don't think this is for everyone, some people can have their whole grains and still lose weight, but I feel like cutting that stuff out really liberated me.
I tell myself (not others) that I am allergic to those foods. I dont respond well to them. One day I hope to enjoy an occasional pizza or cookie without my body and brain going crazy, but for now this is what works.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:29 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Can you adjust your diet to include those foods once in while?

I do that.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:37 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I struggled and have been through every diet and extreme out there. What is working for me now is going grain and sugar free. When I ate healthy grains, even sugar free ones, I was always hungry. One day I decide "enough!" and stopped grains, corn, potatoes, and sugar. I started a thread looking to see if someone wants to join me.
I don't count calories or carbs in beans, but I'm finding that I am full and satisfied much faster. On Shabbos I have whole wheat matzah.
In just under two weeks I feel so much calmer about food. I haven't weighed myself, but my I feel less bloated. I don't think this is for everyone, some people can have their whole grains and still lose weight, but I feel like cutting that stuff out really liberated me.
I tell myself (not others) that I am allergic to those foods. I dont respond well to them. One day I hope to enjoy an occasional pizza or cookie without my body and brain going crazy, but for now this is what works.
Hatzlacha!

Like I said to get to here was a 18 month journey & I really learned a lot about my body & how it reacts to different foods....
I find that completely cutting out anything backfires so I don’t do that. I limit things like carbs & sugar a lot but I haven’t cut them out completely.

It’s more the addiction to food that is bothering me. The fact that I’m always planning my next meal. Food is on my mind a lot & I wish I could change that. But I guess I need to accept that I’m addicted to food & it’s something that will always be a struggle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise