Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hardy boys - new vs old

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 4:44 pm
my son is of age that would love to read the Hardy boys. I've been told that there's a significant difference between the new and old ones in terms of appropriateness. Is anyone familiar that can clue me in? Are the old ones all okay for a yeshiva kid or do they need to be screened? How do I know which are new and which are the old?
Thanks for your time

GetReal

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:29 pm
The old ones are pretty pareve. They mention girls but in a very pareve way. The new ones I told my boys not to read.

GetReal

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:30 pm
How old is your son?
The old ones are hard cover. Like 1-56 or something. The new ones are softcover.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 7:53 pm
thanks. My son is almost 9. He is a huge reader and I am constantly looking for more books for him. So you say the new ones are not appropriate?

GetReal

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:05 pm
The original series was written I think in the 60s so it's pretty clean. Then the ones that continue on from number 57 were written more recently. The themes are more modern and things are more likely to slip in. Some of them are fine but there are more girls etc. the ones called hardy boy files are written for teens and are definitely inappropriate. To be safe I would stick to the originals.

GetReal

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:06 pm
Has he already read the treehouse mysteries and the boxcar children?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:19 pm
thanks! super helpful! we'll stick to 1-57. thats plenty for now! hes read boxcar but not treehouse mysteries. will look into those. who is the author?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:29 pm
what about the hardy boys that say all new on top, are soft cover, but have early numbers. ex - I have #5 and #8. they say printed in 2006.
anyone know about those?

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:36 am
2006 would be the ones people are calling "new" here. The old ones are from the 1960s or so.

When you say treehouse mysteries do you mean the Magic Treehouse series? I think those are much younger than Hardy Boys. More like a 2nd-3rd grade level. Boxcar Children I'd say is in between Magic Treehouse and Hardy Boys in terms of age appeal. The Three Investigators is an old series that is very hard to find but I like it MUCH better for the same target audience as Hardy Boys. More intelligent, less violent, and if romance is what worries you it's squeaky clean. If you have access to them, there are also a decent variety of Jewish books suitable for boys that age. Hard to think of them off the top of my head but you can do OK with adventures and mysteries.

heidi

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:50 am
I loved the Hardy Boys growing up. But just be aware that there are so many "old fashioned" words and terms. Made it very not enjoyable for my kids and they refused to read them

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 9:09 am
Have you seen the secular booklist on chinuch.org? I heard it was moving to an independent site, don't have the link offhand.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 9:17 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Have you seen the secular booklist on chinuch.org? I heard it was moving to an independent site, don't have the link offhand.

I didn't know about this resource! Here is the link: http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....nlyfk

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:30 pm
thanks! what an amazing resource!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children