Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you allow your child to go to a trampoline park?
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 11:46 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
You’re right, I guess it was more the amount of posters who said they do think it’s dangerous but would let them go anyway.

No one is going to bury their head in the stand and say 'I think there is no risk to my child'. Dangerous is a loaded word. Its dangerous to cross the street. Its dangerous to go on a swing.

Its about managing the risk.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
No one is going to bury their head in the stand and say 'I think there is no risk to my child'. Dangerous is a loaded word. Its dangerous to cross the street. Its dangerous to go on a swing.

Its about managing the risk.

Exactly. Do you know how many children die in car accidents every year in the US? 200,000! Now, how many die from trampoline accidents?

DD's camp used to take the kids swim in a murky, muddy lake full of underwater weeds and logs. I cringed at the thought, but there were lifeguards, and nothing bad happened to anyone. None of the kids were willing to go into water deep enough to go past their waist. Still, ewwww!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 3:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Exactly. Do you know how many children die in car accidents every year in the US? 200,000! Now, how many die from trampoline accidents?

DD's camp used to take the kids swim in a murky, muddy lake full of underwater weeds and logs. I cringed at the thought, but there were lifeguards, and nothing bad happened to anyone. None of the kids were willing to go into water deep enough to go past their waist. Still, ewwww!

So the typical response is - your child 'needs' to go into a car, but doesn't 'need' to go on a trampoline. So risk is okay - but only to take when necessary. But - of course overall fun factor in life is reduced... and you risk a miserable kid.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 4:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

The real question is how many children are injured compared to how many car trips children make, versus injuries at trampoline parks based on total visits.

Also, level of injury. There's a real difference between sprains and brain injury.

AFAIK, most injuries at trampoline parks are sprains.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 4:10 pm
Statistically, the bus ride to get there is probably the most dangerous part of the trip.

farm

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 12:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

1. If you compare car riding time with trampoline jumping time, perhaps the risk is similar. We have no idea. So throwing around this statistic is meaningless
2. It is impossible to manage without using a car. It is perfectly possible to manage without jumping on a trampoline.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 12:28 pm
It depends on the child. Are they very clumsy and any uneven movement would make them likely to break a bone or get a sprain, then I wouldn't send them. If it's a regular kid that likes to jump and play and doesn't have a problem in that area, I would say, go and make sure to have fun.
I would give a safety speech before I send them, to be careful of whatever concerns that I have.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics