Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Good Bye---- DUNCAN HINES
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

queen

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 2:49 pm
http://www.koshertoday.com/#1

Duncan Hines Set to Make Cake Mix Products Dairy

(Cherry Hill, NJ) A line of popular Orthodox Union (OU) certified cake
mixes by Duncan Hines will soon switch to dairy ingredients, Kosher
Today has learned. The decision will affect the large number of kosher
consumers that have been using the cake mixes because they are pareve and can be eaten with meat as well as many of the 56 million Americans who are lactose intolerant. A similar decision by Stella Dora of Nabisco several years ago was greeted by a large outcry by consumers, which caused the company to reverse the decision. Duncan Hines was owned by Procter and Gamble for many years but when it experienced difficulty was sold to Pinnacle Foods, based in Cherry Hill, NJ, which also acquired such well-known kosher brands as Lender's Bagels. Industry sources say that Duncan Hines decided to add the dairy to improve the quality of the product. The decision by Duncan Hines comes at a time when there is growing demand for pareve products by kosher consumers and by many lactose intolerant people. The cake mixes allowed many consumers to bake their own pareve cakes for use on Shabbat and holidays. Some industry sources were privately hoping that the company would not go through with the change, but if it does, a "D" will be added to the OU indicating that dairy ingredients are being used.

===============================================

I have asked those on my email list to contact the company at
Consumer_Questions@PinnacleFoodsCorp.Com and tell them that many
observant people will stop using their products. I also called the company at 1-877-852-7424 and, after what seemed like an unending series of menu choices, actually reached a live person.

In my conversation and my email I suggested that rather than make their pareve mixes milchig, they make their milchig mixes pareve.

Companies are sensitive to public opinion, particularly when the message says if you do this we will stop using your products, so please take a
minute and send an email.

queen

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 2:51 pm
how will I manage without faithful DH??????

if all us mothers would send a quick email to: Consumer_Questions@PinnacleFoodsCorp.Com maybe we'll have a chance!

If not, I'll be buying several cases of DH!!!!!

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 2:57 pm
most of them are already dairy anyway. I said goodbye when their choc chip cookies became dairy. there are so many foods that used to be pareve and arent anymore.
liebers, gefen, and others also make cake mixes, and they taste good too.

queen

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 3:07 pm
I used to do so many things with the yellow cake mix, butter flavor (parev), marble, chocolate, brownies...........

no more easy/fast strawberry shortcakes..........
no more mini cakes made within 3 minutes (box to oven)
no more chocolate trifles (choc cake with ice cream/mousse....)

I can go on and on.
however will leave hespedim for another time.

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 3:31 pm
by the way, if you check the ingredients, in the choc. chip cookies, there are no dairy ingredients. we asked a rav, and he said we could use them as pareve- but ask your own LOR.
if the other's become REALLY milching I'm gonna Crying

RedVines

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 3:57 pm
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Queen this is terrible!!!!!!!! I will absoulutly email1

and I am going to stock up on it BIG TIME!!

queen

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 3:58 pm
mommyoftwo: don't even bother going to the same store as me to stock up.
there wont be any left!

Very Happy

technic

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 4:48 pm
del

Last edited by technic on Wed, Dec 28 2005, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:11 pm
You mean people actually BUY box cakes??? What happened to baking??

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:16 pm
box cakes bake too LOL

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:36 pm
lol RG. True, but they are absolutly incomprable to real cakes and baking.

RedVines

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 8:57 pm
100% de_goldy, but really for a fast cake last minute for shabbos, its a life saver. Where I live I have to bake EVERYTHING!! we dont get any sweets, I bake muffins, cinn. rolls, cookies, etc.

but to troiugh in a batch of brownies for something sweet was (sniff, sniff) great!

Tovah

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:10 pm
actually dh is really great. my mother went to this taste athon yrs ago everyone made their finest cake and the one that won was our neighbors dunkin hines.

Last edited by Tovah on Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:12 pm
Is this a new thing? About a year or so ago most of their stuff became dairy (including all the icings). I notice it says 'one of their lines'.

And yes, while the OU holds that things produced on the same line as dairy are OU-D, not all rabbis say that it is treated as dairy. Ask your LOR for a psak, but the one we asked said they can be treated as parve.

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:22 pm
email:

Oh dair! Surely by now you have heard the tragic news…Duncan Hines is going dairy.

We must take a stand…NOW.

Call your senators and congressmen. Take part in our letter writing campaign. Attend our upcoming rally in Washington. Log on to sixmorehours.com to sign our online petition, and order your brown and white bracelets (symbolizing Devil’s and Angel Food.) Cry out to your Rabbonim.

This is not a time to be complacent. This could be the start of snack food terrorism. Who knows what will be next. The fleishisizing of Haagen Dazs? Act now.

Oy.

“Ve’harenu Hashem Elokenu Be’nechomas Tzion Irecha U’bebinyan Yerusholayim Ir Kodshecha.”

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:14 pm
so are they dairy or not? why do they have a D if theyre not dairy? Confused

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:25 pm
RG wrote:
so are they dairy or not? why do they have a D if theyre not dairy? Confused

Depends on what. It's a makhlokes haposkim. There are those that say if they don't contain dairy ingredients, but are just made on dairy equipment, they are parve. The OU holds that they are dairy and marks them with a D. There are other kashrus organizations, btw, that do not mark the same type of products with the D. The OU didn't used to and had a change of policy a few years ago.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:46 am
From the OU website: (http://oukosher.org/index.php/faqs/)

What is the OU’s policy regarding Dairy Equipment?

Allow us to state the OU’s position on products that may not list a dairy product among their ingredients but that are prepared on dairy equipment.

The OU designates such products with an ‘OU-D’ symbol and not ‘DE’ (Dairy Equipment).

Over the course of many years of Kosher supervision, our OU Mashgichim, in the course of supervising plants where dairy and non-dairy products are made on the same production line, have too many times witnessed situations where the plant did not perform an adequate cleaning of the equipment between the dairy and non-dairy production runs. (Please understand that what a plant would call ‘cleaning’ and what Halacha calls cleaning are usually not the same.) There is a high probability that residue of a dairy product run finds its way into a Pareve run. Perhaps there is ‘Shishim’, perhaps there isn’t. The OU does not permit Bitul ‘Lechatchilah’.
Viewing the problem in this light, the OU believes that our so-called Parave product should no longer classify to be labeled ‘dairy equipment’. Once actual dairy residue finds its way into the non-dairy product, the prudent and proper label should really be OU-D.

There is also another consideration for such a policy. The OU believes that the DE (dairy equipment) designation often leads to confusion. The OU designation reaches a broad spectrum of Jews, many of whom might not be familiar with the Halachic ramifications of a product with the DE status.
We get a lot of calls and letters inquiring about a particular OUD product; Is it really Dairy or is it Dairy Equipment? Were we to answer them (or to you): “Yes, currently the specific product you inquired about is not really dairy but actually is only dairy equipment”, we would still strongly advise and recommend that on account of the ‘possibility of residue’ problem that you not treat such a product as a Halachic DE.
Since the OU will be firm in its stance to consider all dairy equipment products as dairy, there now is an additional need for you to treat the product as an OU-D. Think what would happen, if you were to judge by yourself that despite the OU’s labeling a product as OUD, you would treat the product as a DE. You will thus lead yourself into a precarious situation, as we will explain.

Among the two thousand plus companies that the OU supervises, there hasn’t been a week that the OU has not been notified by some manufacturer that they wish to reformulate their product. Since the OU cannot guarantee that the formula for creating this product will remain the way it is now, were the product reformulated and a dairy ingredient added to the recipe, you would probably not become aware of this change, as the OU designation of OU D would remain the same.

queen

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 2:03 am
not so simple for companies to run both dairy and pareve runs on the same machinery.

they have to sign off between runs, do specific cleaning procedures. PLUS exchange the signs reading 'parev' or 'milchig' on outside of equipments.....

we're eating shabbos lunch at someone who works for the O-U, so I guess we'll be discussing this Duncan H issue.

chavamom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 2:03 am
Interesting. I do know that the rav we asked knew the position of the OU and held differently (I believe it was b/c he didn't hold that it was 'bitul lechatchila' as the OU does). Anyway - as I said, makhlokes haposkim!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen