Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Not everything is meant to wear with a shell!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 7:43 am
Add halter top to the list.

Chloe22

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:02 am
I don't like the cold shoulder look even without a shell

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:07 am
The shell look was in some time ago, and those who are still wearing it with these kind of dresses/tops are just not as fashion conscious. Who cares? I know lots of people who wear the newest trends, yet look ridiculous because they can’t pull it off. Wear what makes you feel good and wear it with confidence Smile

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Keyhole back can look great with shells, as do others you've described .
Spaghetti straps are a whole other issue which you're right about.

Actually, I’ve been seeing lots of non-Jews layering tank tops over long sleeves this past year.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Keyhole back can look great with shells, as do others you've described .
Spaghetti straps are a whole other issue which you're right about.

I agree with you on back keyholes.
And don't like spaghetti straps and a few other things. Really, really don't like skin tone shells.
But I'm not passionate enough to start a thread on it, under my sn or not.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:50 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Can someone post a keyhole dress with a shell that looks nice? I have only seen travesties.

Then again, I think pointed toes on a shoe is a travesty too...

But they're great to kill cockroaches with!

BTW, what's a cold shoulder in this context?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 9:54 am
Shells ruin any gown or formal dress.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:03 am
Yeah, the shell look doesn't always work. And you care because...? Last I checked, there's no mitzvah to be fashionable. Some of us just aren't that fashion conscious. I don't even know what half the terms in the op mean.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:25 am
Simple1 wrote:
Sharing a fashion opinion is one thing. Saying people look ridiculous is another.

Isn't that her fashion opinion?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:26 am
oliveoil wrote:
Shells ruin any gown or formal dress.

They often make it better/more interesting.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Yeah, the shell look doesn't always work. And you care because...? Last I checked, there's no mitzvah to be fashionable. Some of us just aren't that fashion conscious. I don't even know what half the terms in the op mean.

If it is so meaningless to you, why did you bother to respond?

Move on. Feel free to wear your Gunne Sax dress and platform shoes to the next wedding you're invited to if you don't care about fashion. The Fashion Police don't actually arrest people. And let those of us who are actually interested in fashion post here.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:33 am
SixOfWands wrote:
If it is so meaningless to you, why did you bother to respond?

Move on. Feel free to wear your Gunne Sax dress and platform shoes to the next wedding you're invited to if you don't care about fashion. The Fashion Police don't actually arrest people. And let those of us who are actually interested in fashion post here.

And why don't YOU move on? Just because I don't care much about fashion doesn't mean I appreciate being called ridiculous Rolling Eyes Here's a novel idea: if it matters to you, don't wear shells if you don't like them. Share ideas on how to look great and be tzanua without wearing shells. And then leave shell wearers alone. It's not that hard.

Shendellah

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:36 am
I also agree with most of what you said...but I let my young kids break all of the rules!!! We live OOT and my mom is not frum and LOVES to shop for us so I let her buy anything for the kids and let them layer to make it tznius...for me, I try to explain that some clothes don't work with shells but she also seems to think anything should be able to work.. especially since she never needed to think about dressing tzniusly for her own wardrobe!

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
And why don't YOU move on? Just because I don't care much about fashion doesn't mean I appreciate being called ridiculous Rolling Eyes Here's a novel idea: if it matters to you, don't wear shells if you don't like them. Share ideas on how to look great and be tzanua without wearing shells. And then leave shell wearers alone. It's not that hard.

OP wrote:
Some dresses or outfits look ridiculous with shells!

Are you a dress or outfit?

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:41 am
Can someone explain why I got two - 2 - hugs? Thank you.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:44 am
Simple1 wrote:
Can someone explain why I got two - 2 - hugs? Thank you.

she didn't say that anyone looked ridiculous.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
she didn't say that anyone looked ridiculous.

That doesn't answer my question about the hugs.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:53 am
Simple1 wrote:
That doesn't answer my question about the hugs.

I didn't hug you... but perhaps the hug is for misconstruing fashion advice (a take it or leave it kind of thing) as an insult to the person who has made such a choice.

Borrowing from another thread - I think bloomers on boys (with or without tights, with or without suspenders, with or without a shirt underneath) is very silly looking. I don't think the child, nor his mother is ridiculous for wearing/dressing in such outfit.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:00 am
Shendellah wrote:
I also agree with most of what you said...but I let my young kids break all of the rules!!! We live OOT and my mom is not frum and LOVES to shop for us so I let her buy anything for the kids and let them layer to make it tznius...for me, I try to explain that some clothes don't work with shells but she also seems to think anything should be able to work.. especially since she never needed to think about dressing tzniusly for her own wardrobe!

Kids are made to break fashion rules. And I'm certain your kids would look adorable in a potato sack.

But note that most or all of the looks that OP listed are intended to be z3xy. It can be boiled down to "wearing a shell under a zexy dress looks silly." I'm guessing that your kids aren't wearing any hoochie mama styles, with or without shells.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:06 am
Why the heck do you care? To find a tznius dress for a wedding can take days and weeks and even months of shopping for me. And money. Maybe to me or the person wearing that dress time and money is more important then being perfectly fashionably dressed.

I remember once going to a wedding and a lot of women were wearing dress shell combos that looked a bit odd. But after a bit of reflection I realised that our time, money and sanity is worth more then YOUR opinion.

As women we need to stop shaming other women (and men too) for their fashion choices.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics