Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Costco, aldi, sams club others

married05

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:45 pm
For those of you on a limited budget, and shop around to get the best deal , where do you buy-
Tissues
Toilet paper
Shampoo/soap/body wash
School snacks
Laundry detergent
Others

How do you divide your shopping amongst the stores in the most cost effective way?
I have tried couponing and it was way too much for me

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:53 pm
married05 wrote:
For those of you on a limited budget, and shop around to get the best deal , where do you buy-
Tissues
Toilet paper
Shampoo/soap/body wash
School snacks
Laundry detergent
Others

How do you divide your shopping amongst the stores in the most cost effective way?
I have tried couponing and it was way too much for me

Walmart often for tissues, toilet paper. CVS for shampoo, body wash, and laundry detergent when they have specials, I have store coupons, etc. (I'm not the biggest couponer but I try. And CVS often has great coupons.) They don't have the same cheap shampoos they used to but I just saw VO5 at Save A Lot.

School snacks: Varies. Some stuff I'd get from the frum store, on special in cases. We're makpid on pas Yisrael in the house. I'd also give fruits and veg, including some canned or jarred stuff like pickles. I often do my produce shopping at a produce store that has locations that are a shlep to but worth the gas for the savings (and cheap gas in those neighborhoods). The cheapest pickles, which my kids liked for school, came from a chain supermarket.

srbmom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:57 pm
I love Aldi for produce and snacks. They have tons of kosher items and their prices can't be beat.
Costco is where I get most of my toilet paper, tissues, detergent... I watch their sales and stock up on whatever is on sale that month.
I've found Walmart to be cheapest for toiletries. Target isn't much more and they have free delivery if you have red card so sometimes I'll do that just so I don't need to make another stop.
I'll usually do Aldi once a week and Costco once every 2 months.
I try really hard to only go to the grocery once a week. I make a detailed list every Tuesday night (sales start Wednesday) of all meals for a full week (including Shabbos). Sometimes I'll have to go to a store with kosher products but I stock up on that stuff too so it's not often.
I find the best way to save money is to have a good list and to NOT go into a store more often than necessary - then I end up buying extra things I didn't really need.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 1:34 pm
Never shopped Sams club.

We 'piggy back' on my mother in law's Costco trips:
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels
- tissues
- Laundry Detergent
- Cleaning Supplies
- Contact solution
- shredded cheese
- hot dogs
- some snacks but must check prices

Walmart:
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, conditioner, hand soap, etc) - I also find Costco you are very limited to their options.

Aldi - I do more food and produce shopping there. I LOVE their prices!
- Cereal and granola is MUCH cheaper

anuta

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 11:51 pm
Shampoo and conditioner at the Dollar tree ( but only the brands that are also sold at other stores, like Suave, VO5, white rain. Toothpaste and ttoothbrushes, cotton balls and cotton swabs, floss and Band-Aids and bar soap there too.
Toilet paper, laundry detergent at Costco. I don't buy paper towels, I buy microfiber cloths at the automotive section at Costco, and wash them,
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains