Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Calling all Australian residents
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 7:12 pm
Hi. Im curious what the season is right now in Australia?
Does the school year run from September to June or is it different based on the season's being different?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 7:17 pm
It's the middle of winter now.
Summer vacation is 6 weeks in December and January.
The school year is divided into 4 terms with 2 week breaks in between.

And yes, the kids sometimes get to celebrate Chanukah in summer camp Wink

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 7:19 pm
To clarify after rereading your question, the school year follows a different schedule to the northern hemisphere. My kids usually start school January 31 or February 1

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
To clarify after rereading your question, the school year follows a different schedule to the northern hemisphere. My kids usually start school January 31 or February 1

So like right now is in the middle of a regular school year?

Im just interested in how Australian seasons / school year differ from the U.S.!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:24 pm
How do people get to adulthood without knowing this stuff? It's mindblowing.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:

The same way others get there without learning how to be nice.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:

How do people get to adulthood without knowing not to mock others who are trying to learn? It's mind-blowing.

OP- the school year starts in January. My niece thought Americans were sooo weird for starting school in September? She's like, "what?? That doesn't make sense! You should start at the beginning of the year!"

I live in Western Australia (Perth) which is very far from most of the other Australian cities on the Eastern side of the continent (Sydney, Melbourne, etc).

It's quite cold here at night, especially as we don't have indoor heating and the houses are designed to keep cool because summers get very hot! (Some people have heating, but many don't.) It rains in the winter and it's very dry in the summer (think Mediterranean).

I'm our winter, daytime can get warmish sometimes, even going up to 70s F (we use celcius but I'm translating!). This upcoming week unfortunately looks cold and rainy, getting down to mid forties at night and only lower sixties during the day.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
How do people get to adulthood without knowing not to mock others who are trying to learn? It's mind-blowing.

OP- the school year starts in January. My niece thought Americans were sooo weird for starting school in September? She's like, "what?? That doesn't make sense! You should start at the beginning of the year!"

I live in Western Australia (Perth) which is very far from most of the other Australian cities on the Eastern side of the continent (Sydney, Melbourne, etc).

It's quite cold here at night, especially as we don't have indoor heating and the houses are designed to keep cool because summers get very hot! (Some people have heating, but many don't.) It rains in the winter and it's very dry in the summer (think Mediterranean).

I'm our winter, daytime can get warmish sometimes, even going up to 70s F (we use celcius but I'm translating!). This upcoming week unfortunately looks cold and rainy, getting down to mid forties at night and only lower sixties during the day.

No snow ??

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:05 am
In my Seminary year, it snowed on Mt Hermon. The Australians rushed all the way up North to see it but couldn't get access for some reason. Meanwhile - it snowed in Yerusholayim!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:07 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
No snow ??

We wouldn't get snow where we live, although we did get some hail the other day! The storms can get crazy windy. A store around the corner had to have part of its roof repaired.

It snowed outside of Perth on this peak called Bluff Knoll and some people drove to see it. It was less than 2 inches but they were calling it a winter wonderland. Lol.

I mentioned how far we are from the cities on the east to clarify that I'm talking only about Perth. I can't speak for them, and I believe it gets colder there. It would be like someone from Los Angeles describing their climate as all of US weather. It's very different in Rhode Island. We need some others to chime in from the other coast as well.

iyar

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:14 am
It was very nice of you to tell us about your life in Perth, Ivory. I don’t know if Vermilion will find it mind blowing, but I got all the way to adulthood without knowing there was a Jewish community on the West coast of Australia.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:17 am
iyar wrote:
It was very nice of you to tell us about your life in Perth, Ivory. I don’t know if Vermilion will find it mind blowing, but I got all the way to adulthood without knowing there was a Jewish community on the West coast of Australia.

It's quite small, but we exist!
http://www.carmel.wa.edu.au/co.....nity/

And that will be all before I out myself Wink !

imasoftov

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 5:58 am
to answer another frequent asked question about Australia - https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch.....fect/

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
It's quite small, but we exist!
http://www.carmel.wa.edu.au/co.....nity/

And that will be all before I out myself Wink !

Thanks for this. I have a close family member in Perth who is completely unaffiliated religiously and I'm glad to know that when (if) we visit there is a community there!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 5:41 am
amother wrote:
So like right now is in the middle of a regular school year?

Im just interested in how Australian seasons / school year differ from the U.S.!

Yes! It's the middle of the school year.

Melbourne is definitely a lot colder than Perth!

No snow, but cold. We all have heating Wink
There are skiing resorts and snow in the mountains a few hours drive away.
But most of Australia does not see snow.

tf

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:29 pm
No wonder there's no heating. You never get to feel what reeeally cold means. In NY we get to almost zero degrees Fahrenheit. You better believe we have heat. How hot does it get in the summer? We're having 90 degrees Fahrenheit think week with humidity which makes it feel over 100.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 3:12 pm
I live in brisbane and never saw snow until I moved to Israel. Also, not many people know of brisbane as most know of Sydney and Melbourne.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 4:20 pm
the weather is more than just small talk here... so don't know if you want to get us started Wink

Most of the country is quite a harsh climate, the centre being mostly desert. Summer temps are over 100 a lot of the time.
Along the coasts it's a tad more mild, the sea breezes bringing a cool change.
Melbourne can be hot in the summer, some beautiful sunny days, but some scorchers well over 100.
Summer is officially dec, Jan and feb. February is usually the hottest month, with warm temperatures continuing in march and April.

According to google the average winter temp in July- the coldest month is 50 f

It's BH a beautiful place to live Smile

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
the weather is more than just small talk here... so don't know if you want to get us started Wink

Most of the country is quite a harsh climate, the centre being mostly desert. Summer temps are over 100 a lot of the time.
Along the coasts it's a tad more mild, the sea breezes bringing a cool change.
Melbourne can be hot in the summer, some beautiful sunny days, but some scorchers well over 100.
Summer is officially dec, Jan and feb. February is usually the hottest month, with warm temperatures continuing in march and April.

According to google the average winter temp in July- the coldest month is 50 f

It's BH a beautiful place to live Smile

Do u live in Melbourne? Just curious bc it really doesn't get so so hot there?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
Do u live in Melbourne? Just curious bc it really doesn't get so so hot there?

I am from Melbourne and it definitely gets extremely hot. It's a drier heat than up north, so it's more bearable, but we regularly get high 30s and multiple 40s days per year. (celcius) And dont' forget, temps are measured here in the shade, so it's actually a lot hotter out and about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics