Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
London broil
1  2  Next

bbhem5

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 9:16 am
Looking for an easy recipe for my 12 year old (with minimal help) to make for a 1 and a half pound London broil that comes out really soft. Oven baked- not grilled or broiled. Preferably with a mild mustard sauce, otherwise a sweet sauce would be great. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 9:39 am
bbhem5 wrote:
Looking for an easy recipe for my 12 year old (with minimal help) to make for a 1 and a half pound London broil that comes out really soft. Oven baked- not grilled or broiled. Preferably with a mild mustard sauce, otherwise a sweet sauce would be great. Thanks!

You want it to be baked like a roast?

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 9:43 am
London broil is naturally a relatively tough cut so ideally should be marinaded at least over night to be softened. A little lemon juice in the marinade helps with this process.

To cook in the oven. Preheat oven to 500 (yup, that high). Put the meat in and immediately turn the oven to 225. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour and 20 minutes depending how thick the meat is and how you like it. Let sit before slicing.

bbhem5

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 9:49 am
Yes, baked like a roast, if possible. Simcha2, thanks for your instructions. Can you give an exact recipe?

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 9:52 am
I have a recipe I like, but it is not sweet or mustard based. I'll post it (bn) when I get home.

bbhem5

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:00 am
Thanks simcha2, looking forward to seeing the recipe. A bit surprised that it's only baked for an hour or so at low temp, though it starts in a hot oven. This comes out really soft?
Any other recipes- mustard or sweet sauce?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:07 am
bbhem5 wrote:
Yes, baked like a roast, if possible. Simcha2, thanks for your instructions. Can you give an exact recipe?

Here's OOTBubby's recipe. Adjust baking time to roast size.

bbhem5

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:15 am
Thanks ramom, but I don't see the recipe. Can you post again please?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:20 am
I forgot to link it!
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....68050

bbhem5

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:37 am
Thanks so much, ramom!

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:45 pm
Here's the recipe. It's soft, but not falling apart soft, like brisket. I'd be surprised if you can do that with London broil. I'm assuming your cut is cut as a steak an inch or so thick.

Marinade
1T chopped garlic
3T soy sauce
1T ketchup
2T lemon juice
2T Honey
1T oil
1/2 t pepper
1/2t oregano

Score meat against the grain. Leave in marinade in fridge over night. (I use a gallon Ziploc). Turn once. Remove from fridge an hour before cooking. Preheat 500, put in meat in pan (no juice). Turn down to 225 and cook for 1 hour- 1 hour 20.

Let rest. Slice against the grain.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:01 pm
You need to grill or broil London broil otherwise you will ruin it. It’s not meant to be cooked the way you are describing

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:07 pm
tichellady wrote:
You need to grill or broil London broil otherwise you will ruin it. It’s not meant to be cooked the way you are describing

Try it once, I make it frequently. The high heat at the beginning sears the meat.
It is one of my most requested recipes.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:23 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Try it once, I make it frequently. The high heat at the beginning sears the meat.

How would you describe how cooked it is at the end? Does it come out well done? Or medium rare, etc?

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:44 pm
Medium rare. (At one hour rare, 1 hour 20 medium rare). I detest well done and find medium dry.

Last edited by simcha2 on Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:44 pm
simcha2 wrote:

Do you make this with a London broil or a different cut of roast? How many pounds for this length of cooking time? Do you cover the meat at all when it's in the oven?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:46 pm
tichellady wrote:

London broil is a way of making meat, not a cut. Its usually a flank or top round steak (tough cuts), and can be made different ways. I use this recipe, in the Instant Pot:

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/.....58761

I'm sure it could be adapted for the oven.

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you make think with a London broil or a different cut of roast? How many pounds for this length of cooking time? Do you cover the meat at all when it's in the oven?

Only London broil. I normally do two 1 pound steaks at the same time. No covering.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 2:15 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Only London broil. I normally do two 1 pound steaks at the same time. No covering.

And how long does it sear at 500?

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 2:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
And how long does it sear at 500?

Just put it in the oven, and then immediately turn down the oven.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics