Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Info about "re-sizing" a cap on a brand new wig

jf

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:53 am
I am thinking about buying a new wig from a large, reputable NY manufacturer. I have limited time to go their showroom so have been in touch with them on a phone quite a bit to gather info in advance.

I have a very specific combination of size, curl type, and color that I am looking for.

They told me that if they have something that is the right curl type and color, but not the right cap size, they can re-size the wig and make it bigger. Apparently this involves opening the cap, adding more cap material, and sewing in "matching" hair.

In theory this sounds great, but I wonder if it really works. Does the cap look normal after this? If it's not hair from the same batch as the original hair, won't that look funny?

If you have any experience with this, please share!

Thank you.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 11:47 am
It's easiet to take in a cap just a bit than to make it bigger. You're taking a risk of it never being comfortable.

mammale

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 11:55 am
Like ra_mom said. An adjusted cap isn't nessesarily comfortable. It'll look fine. It anyhow takes several heads of hair to make a wig.

Debbig

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:05 pm
Making a cap bigger is hard. Ask the company if they have a larger cap for you to try on & if it fits well they can transfer the skin part & all the wefts to the larger cap. Giving you the same wig in larger without piecing together a larger cap. This is the better way to do it.

ProudMommy3

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:10 pm
In total agreement w/ Debbig. Another benefit if seeing the hair onto a new cap is that they can customize the cap to your head first resulting an a super comfortable sheitel w/ the hair you've already decided is perfect for you. If you're in/near Monsey, I have someone I can highly recommend.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:20 pm
I had two wigs resized to be bigger. I have very large head circumference and did not fit in their largest size; I need XL and they only had L. I am so so so happy. The wigs looks and feel amazing.

jf

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:50 pm
OP here. Thanks for the information. Over the phone, they told me that the resizing would be free. Any idea what it might/should cost for them to sew the hair onto a bigger cap entirely? That sounds like a big undertaking.

Debbig

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:52 pm
jf wrote:
OP here. Thanks for the information. Over the phone, they told me that the resizing would be free. Any idea what it might/should cost for them to sew the hair onto a bigger cap entirely? That sounds like a big undertaking.

A reputable wig company shouldn’t charge you for that. It’s part of the process. (I’m in the wig business for a long time)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels