Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What would you consider extra chores?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 11:02 am
We don't believe in paying for regular chores- chores are just something everyone has to do. However, we would be ok with paying a little for extras, something above and beyond the regular expectations. What would you consider such an extra for elementary school age (in the grade 2-4 range)?

teachkids

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 11:33 am
It really depends what you're expecting them to do normally. General rule: look at the things you're taking care of and think if any of them are possible for your child.

Folding a basket of laundry (something communal like towels)
Washing or drying dishes from dinner (unless you expect that regularly)
giving a sibling a bath/putting them to bed
A through cleaning of the playroom (putting away all the extra pieces, wiping down big toys, tables etc)
sweeping/washing floors/ vacuuming (depending on child's size and ability)

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:05 pm
Disclaimer - I don't pay my kids for anything because I am cheap but I have friends who do. My kids do work for others and get paid.

Doing bigger projects, like the following (not sure if most of them are appropriate for your age kids):
    * Mowing the lawn
    * Shoveling snow
    * Raking the leaves or other yard work
    * Organize a closet or a play room
    * Help painting a room
    * Watching or helping with younger siblings
    * Washing floors
    * Ironing

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:04 pm
I pay my kids to walk their siblings to the bus stop etc Only because I've paid outsiders and feel it's fair. Other large chores like lawn I'll use to earn things they want.
My 9-10 yr old gets around $2-3 a wk to bring child to bus stop. Or to read with younger child every night...

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
We don't believe in paying for regular chores- chores are just something everyone has to do. However, we would be ok with paying a little for extras, something above and beyond the regular expectations. What would you consider such an extra for elementary school age (in the grade 2-4 range)?

What is your objective?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:15 pm
I think a good rule of thumb if you want to compensate your kids monetarily is to do it for those things that you would pay someone outside of your family to do (except for maybe your regular cleaning help, if you have it), such as babysitting, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, etc. Anything else would be regular chores.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:30 pm
To the one who asked, the objective is to give them an opportunity to earn money. Thanks for the ideas. I will see what can work around here.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:43 pm
OP sounds like you and I are similar.
We have certain chores that each child is expected to do on their own with no payment, according to his/her age AND ability. And then we also pay them to do a chore that, while they are capable of doing, is really too much for them to be responsible to do routinely. Like something above and beyond, and its their choice whether or not to do it.

Age alone really isnt enough of a factor to decide what chores they should be responsible for/what is an extra. You alone know your child and their capabilities. Remember your goal is to shape them into functioning, responsible people. You do not want to overwhelm them.

Ill tell you my kids chores so you get an idea:
My 7.5 yr old daughter is expected to routinely (without payment) keep the floor of her room clean, put away her easy laundry that goes in drawers, clean up any reasonable mess she made, put the tablecloth on the shabbos table with just the plates, and set out the shabbos candles. She gets paid if she hangs up her hangable laundry because its more difficult for her, and if she sets more items on the shabbos table, and if she does anything else such as offer to sweep, clean random messes etc.

My 5 year old boy is expected to routinely clean his small messes and at least part of the huge mess he made, put away his pajamas, set the cups on the shabbos table and put away his laundry of socks and underwear only. He gets paid for (rarely lol) volunteerig to do something extra.

BH this system works beautifully for us. We dont push them to do more than they can, and they end up feeling proud of themselves and accomplished....and sometimes rich! Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 3:32 pm
Following
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children