Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Salary working at a shul?
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:45 pm
Looking to find out how much do shuls usually pay an administrative assistant /secretary per year? I’m looking at Queens nyc area. The job I’m considering is part time, 24 hours a week. I just want to be sure they’re not giving me too low of a salary. I have experience as an administrative assistant but not at a shul.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Looking to find out how much do shuls usually pay an administrative assistant /secretary per year? I’m looking at Queens nyc area. The job I’m considering is part time, 24 hours a week. I just want to be sure they’re not giving me too low of a salary. I have experience as an administrative assistant but not at a shul.

Do you have any other offers?

The shul has to operate within its budget.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have any other offers?

The shul has to operate within its budget.

Not yet...
so I can’t negotiate a price since a shul has a budget?
I’m just wondering for those of you working at a shul how much were you paid because I have no idea what’s a reasonable salary with a shul.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:34 pm
Sounds like thr kind of job that begins at $15/hr.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
Not yet...
so I can’t negotiate a price since a shul has a budget?
I’m just wondering for those of you working at a shul how much were you paid because I have no idea what’s a reasonable salary with a shul.

Of course you can negotiate. You also don't have much to stand on to negotiate if you don't have another job offer, or bring more value to the table then they are looking for to pay whatever they are offering to pay.

NFP's pay market rate for work. Basic office work is probably $15-$20 an hour.

Telling a shul that what they are offering to pay you isn't reasonable, isn't going to get you very far.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 7:21 pm
So I was thinking it would be on that range. Is it $15-$20 per hour before or after tax? They just offered me a yearly salary. Even though it’s part time (24 hours a week).. I was told they never had a full time position since office hours were always around 5 hours a day. So it would be mostly me alone in an office. Sometimes I’d also have to use quickbooks when the treasurer is absent... so extra work. I just wish I had an idea how much most shuls pay yearly salary for administrative assistants.

Orchid

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
So I was thinking it would be on that range. Is it $15-$20 per hour before or after tax? They just offered me a yearly salary. Even though it’s part time (24 hours a week).. I was told they never had a full time position since office hours were always around 5 hours a day. So it would be mostly me alone in an office. Sometimes I’d also have to use quickbooks when the treasurer is absent... so extra work. I just wish I had an idea how much most shuls pay yearly salary for administrative assistants.

A salary always has to be before tax, because everyone is taxed a different rate.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:25 am
amother wrote:

I’m still not seeing the relevance. You have no legs to stand on to negotiate.

If the job is something you want to do - and something you will do for the pay offered, and hours of work expected, then take the job.

Salary negotiation isn’t typical in your situation.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
I’m still not seeing the relevance. You have no legs to stand on to negotiate
she can find another job!what type of silliness do you keep on harping on. If the shul was offering $5 per hour and she wouldn't have anything else on the table you would suggest that she has no legs to stand on?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
I’m still not seeing the relevance. You have no legs to stand on to negotiate.

If the job is something you want to do - and something you will do for the pay offered, and hours of work expected, then take the job.

Salary negotiation isn’t typical in your situation.

Too bad I even asked this question on the forum...all I asked is how much do shuls typically pay an administrative assistant and then I get this response.
And to be honest, there are lots of people, especially women (like you), who don't even dare to bring up negotiating a salary for a new job offer. I don't think shuls can't negotiate, but I just want to see what kind of salary range should I look for, I mean I know my market value, but in a shul it might be less. They do have the money and I'd be the only administrative assistant without any help in the office so I believe I deserve more (also based on experience). At least the employer is willing to discuss with me the offer and I'm not just taking any low salary offer. If he says they can't do anything about it, then I go to the next job offer. It's not like I don't have any other options.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
she can find another job!what type of silliness do you keep on harping on. If the shul was offering $5 per hour and she wouldn't have anything else on the table you would suggest that she has no legs to stand on?

Find another job is not a negotiation.

If she is asking if she should look for another job, that’s a different question.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
Too bad I even asked this question on the forum...all I asked is how much do shuls typically pay an administrative assistant and then I get this response.
And to be honest, there are lots of people, especially women (like you), who don't even dare to bring up negotiating a salary for a new job offer. I don't think shuls can't negotiate, but I just want to see what kind of salary range should I look for, I mean I know my market value, but in a shul it might be less. They do have the money and I'd be the only administrative assistant without any help in the office so I believe I deserve more (also based on experience). At least the employer is willing to discuss with me the offer and I'm not just taking any low salary offer. If he says they can't do anything about it, then I go to the next job offer. It's not like I don't have any other options.

Women like me (or me specifically) earn over 100k a year and regularly get job offers because they have a unique skill set. I have room to negotiate.

I answered you. Another poster answered you $15-20 an hour. The job is going to vary greatly on the needs of the shul - so will the salary.

I’m part of the hiring process where I work. I keep up on market rates. I offer based on that. Unless someone had another offer in hand, or was previously paid more to do similar work, I would think it rather chutzpadic to enter into a negotiation on salary.

So if you have similar experience - or reasonably similar- and were paid more, tell them that. Unless other shul down the road is also hiring.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Women like me (or me specifically) earn over 100k a year and regularly get job offers because they have a unique skill set. I have room to negotiate.

I answered you. Another poster answered you $15-20 an hour. The job is going to vary greatly on the needs of the shul - so will the salary.

I’m part of the hiring process where I work. I keep up on market rates. I offer based on that. Unless someone had another offer in hand, or was previously paid more to do similar work, I would think it rather chutzpadic to enter into a negotiation on salary.

So if you have similar experience - or reasonably similar- and were paid more, tell them that. Unless other shul down the road is also hiring.

I, like you, earn over 100k a year for less than full time work and also have lots of other opportunities. However, I completely disagree with you. One does not need to have another offer on the table to be able to negotiate. One just has to state what they feel they are worth. Women tend to make a lot less than men because they don't negotiate. Accepting a lowball offer often affects your pay at future jobs (they ask how much you were making and may offer less based on your pay history). I could probably make a lot more if I stopped being like most women and simply asked for a raise. In every field there are options for employers. You may be well educated and have great experience and be a great employee but there are lots like you. So even if OP is looking at making a lot less than 100k it doesn't mean she has to simply accept what they offer.

OP--I don't know what shul administrators make. If they are offering something that you think is reasonable and are happy with it then accept. If not try to negotiate for a slightly higher salary. Good luck!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:

I'm also part of the hiring process where I work, and almost everybody negotiates their salary. It usually reflects badly on them if they don't try to negotiate. We're looking to hire go-getters, not pushovers.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
I, like you, earn over 100k a year for less than full time work and also have lots of other opportunities. However, I completely disagree with you. One does not need to have another offer on the table to be able to negotiate. One just has to state what they feel they are worth. Women tend to make a lot less than men because they don't negotiate. Accepting a lowball offer often affects your pay at future jobs (they ask how much you were making and may offer less based on your pay history). I could probably make a lot more if I stopped being like most women and simply asked for a raise. In every field there are options for employers. You may be well educated and have great experience and be a great employee but there are lots like you. So even if OP is looking at making a lot less than 100k it doesn't mean she has to simply accept what they offer.

OP--I don't know what shul administrators make. If they are offering something that you think is reasonable and are happy with it then accept. If not try to negotiate for a slightly higher salary. Good luck!

What she is worth is independent of what other shuls, who have not offered her a job are paying.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
I'm also part of the hiring process where I work, and almost everybody negotiates their salary. It usually reflects badly on them if they don't try to negotiate. We're looking to hire go-getters, not pushovers.

A go getter shul admin?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
A go getter shul admin?

Do you realize how rude you are miss high and mighty? Yes, a shul admin can be the one on top of many projects. Just because you only respect those who have ritzy jobs, doesn't mean you should keep putting down the honest job OP is trying to negotiate.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
A go getter shul admin?

OP here

People have to survive in this world... so yea... I'm a go getter shul admin!
Just so you know, my family wasn't ever rich, I live in a tiny apartment and whatever job I get will be for paying for my kids' jewish education! so yea... I don't care if you mock me. I'm trying my best to survive.. Be happy with what you have and don't laugh at others, it will get back to you in the end.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
A go getter shul admin?

Wow. You are ruder than me. At least do it under your screen name.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:

So what you're saying is that those women that earn less than you cannot negotiate? We don't have the "skill" to do so??? That's ridiculous! I hope you have better advice in your job. Women can negotiate with many job offers...and they should negotiate especially when the salary is not like yours! much much much lower. You're the one who's actually the chutzpa to tell me to just take the job without negotiating....a much much lower salary job than yours. Administrative assistants at shuls can do much more than just the title. And by the way, I do have experience as an administrative assistant and I earned much more because it wasn't at a shul. But I'm willing to now change the setting and work at a jewish environment so I could get off also at normal hours to see my kids and be off on the holidays. I'm willing to get paid less than my other job, but they're offering much less and I'm not a sucker...I know I can negotiate. Which, by the way, I already spoke to them and they will give me an answer, so there's always a possibility!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics