Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do I have to finish entire antibiotic?
1  2  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:08 am
my son has double ear infection and was screaming in pain. I started antibiotic and rubbed some lavender oil near ears every hour. its not day two and he's feeling much better. do I have to continue giving meds? the bottle says that I must finish it but I would rather not pump his with meds if he's feeling better. which is the better course of action.
also, he complained couple of times that he cant hear in one ear. is that normal result of ear infection or should I be concerned?
please help out a confused mother.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:23 am
Keep taking the antibiotic. What’s with the lavender oil?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:24 am
Finish the antibiotic so he does not develop antibiotic resistance in the future.
Ask your pediatrician about his hearing in the one ear.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:24 am
Yes, you absolutely must finish the meds. Taking only part of a dose can make bacteria adapt and become resistant to antibiotics.

grace413

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:25 am
Yes, you must finish the antibiotics.

Great that your son feels better. However the bacteria causing the infection has only been reduced, not eradicated. Only by finishing the medication will you be sure that the infection is totally gone.

When you take only a portion of the antibiotics the bacteria is weakened but comes back stronger and will require more or stronger antibiotics to get rid of next time.

Refuah Shlaima.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:45 am
Yes finish it.
You are not “pumping him” with medication.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:36 am
I didn't finish the medication when my baby had an ear infection and it didn't come back. I would give it another few days and then stop.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:37 am
amother wrote:
I didn't finish the medication when my baby had an ear infection and it didn't come back. I would give it another few days and then stop.

This is terrible advice.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:48 am
amother wrote:

This is how antibiotic resistant super bugs are created.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:51 am
Actually, latest medical research seems to show that finishing antibiotics when feeling better already makes bacteria more resistant. But imamother should not replace your doctor.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 2:48 am
What does lavender oil do? Rather give garlic and mullein. You can get it suspended in olive oil. It soothes the ear.
Don’t stop the ABX just because it doesn’t hurt, the infection is subdued, but not gone.
Ask your doctor if this case needs the full 10 days.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 3:02 am
Of course finish the antibiotic. Like others have said, not doing so risks creating resistant bacteria.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 3:22 am
Ask a dr you trust, not a website where no one has examined your son?

There have been instances where I started my son on antibiotic and a test came back in the meantime to show it's not an infection so my dr said to stop. Ear infections may be more cut and dry but I would still see what the dr has to say.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 7:43 am
thanks for all your replies. if I ask the doc of course he'll say to finish it. aren't all docs pro meds?
why isn't this called pumping with meds if he feels better after two days? is it necessary to give it another 8 days?
lavender oil is natural cure for earaches and I have a feeling that helped more then meds.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 7:44 am
op again. also, does the age of the child matter at all? my son is 5.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 7:56 am
Doctors aren't pro meds, they are pro health. If your child doesn't need medicine, your doctor won't prescribe any. Antibiotics save lives. You're not pumping poison into your child. It sounds like you have an adversarial relationship with the medical profession and are working off emotion rather than facts.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:15 am
Doctors don't usually have an agenda to pump your kids with meds.
It's very simple. They are following what they learned, which is once you start a patient on a course of antibiotics you tell them to continue. They aren't paid to think creatively, and they will usually choose the option that covers their behind. If your child stopped antibiotics and the infection came back, you would come back to them and say "what the heck??"

In general doctors treat what you came in for. You want the ear infection gone? Take antibiotics. They aren't always so concerned about how you feel giving your kid antibiotics.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
Actually, latest medical research seems to show that finishing antibiotics when feeling better already makes bacteria more resistant. But imamother should not replace your doctor.

Completely wrong.

creditcards

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
thanks for all your replies. if I ask the doc of course he'll say to finish it. aren't all docs pro meds?
why isn't this called pumping with meds if he feels better after two days? is it necessary to give it another 8 days?
lavender oil is natural cure for earaches and I have a feeling that helped more then meds.

Next time use just the lavender oil before you start the antibiotics and see if just that helps, so you won't have this question in the first place.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:40 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
This is terrible advice.

I wouldn't be so strong but it is not the best advice. Especially we know someone very well that had strep and they were lazy about the medication and they developed pandas which I promise is a real thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics