Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler getting tubes

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:01 pm
My almost two year old is scheduled to get tubes on Tuesday. Last week he developed a cough and was not sleeping well. My dh took him to our pcp who said it was minor bronchitis and gave us antibiotics. The cough is bacically gone but he has a minor runny nose. Would this make them cancle the surgery? Tia

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:18 pm
Call the ENT who will be performing the procedure. You will probably be told to postpone. Even the slightest cough can be dangerous.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:42 pm
I called the ent office. the person who answered the phone told me it should not be a problem and then forwarded me to the drs voicemail. Did anyone elses child have this when they were getting tubes?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:41 pm
Did your child have his pre op appointment yet? The ENT usually sees the patient a week or so before the surgery to rule out any illness or condition and to make sure the child is cleared for surgery.
I would be surprised if they would do surgery on a kid with bronchitis. The concern is the general anesthesia etc. not the tubes itself.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:56 pm
We saw the ent 2 weeks ago and that is when she recommended tubes. She never said we had to come back before the surgery. She said to call to cancel if child is sick. Someone from the hospital is going to call me later today to tell me what time to come in. If I don't hear back from the Dr I will ask her.

perry2020

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:56 pm
My son had tube surgery in both ears a year ago. A week prior he developed cold and ear infection accompanied by fever. He was treated with antibiotic which cleared fever but not cold, runny nose and inflamed ears.

I was advised by my pediatrician to go to surgeon and have him checked there pre-op. Surgeon said that surgery should resolve lingering cold symptoms because fluid will have an exit through tubes. This is what happened. Surgery went well and doctor suctioned fluid out from his sinuses and ears during surgery. Chronic runny nose went away! I was astonished. I literally got a new kid. BH, he has not had one cold since surgery, just a slight sniffle in winter. Sometimes his ear leaked fluid and doc told me it's normal . Tubes act like a drainage system. I put cotton and it always stopped on it's own.

Your surgeon shouldn't give you a problem if he's not actively sick. Residual cough is common in kids with lots of fluid.

Hatzlucha and easy recovery!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
We saw the ent 2 weeks ago and that is when she recommended tubes. She never said we had to come back before the surgery. She said to call to cancel if child is sick. Someone from the hospital is going to call me later today to tell me what time to come in. If I don't hear back from the Dr I will ask her.

Maybe things have changed. My kids had tubes and always had pre op appointments with the ENT. Perhaps your ENT found it unnecessary since your child was just seen. I'm not sure. Call your pediatrician and ask the pediatrician what he thinks.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 2:15 pm
If there is no longer a fever or productive cough (coughing stuff up or 'wet' cough) and if antibiotics have been given, the anesthesiologist will likely listen to his lungs right before the surgery and if sounds clear they would usually proceed. Asking the nurse who calls with pre op instructions is a good idea also

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 2:37 pm
I got a call back from the Dr saying they can't do it because of the cough and rescheduled. I have a call with my pcp tonight if I should go to another Dr since he really needs the tubes.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 4:23 pm
Your child absolutely should delay the surgery. It is not safe to get the surgery. Please confirm this with your doctor but I believe the anesthesia is dangerous in a case like the one you are describing.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:51 pm
If they are saying you should cancel this is not a case for doctor shopping, it means that this is unsafe for your child

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 7:40 pm
Op, nothing will happen if you wait another 2 weeks. I'm surprised you got scheduled for surgery 2 weeks after seeing the doctor. I always waited at least 6 weeks.
Better be safe than sorry if Doctor says to postpone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics