Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What secular magazines do you or your family read?
1  2  Next

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:21 am
Please share magazines you like, including your favorite features (or warn me off ones I should avoid).

Besides some homemaking magazines like Good Houskeeping and Real Simple, I get The Week, which almost all of us read. When Atlantic Monthly comes we all read the Big Question feature at the end, and my kids will read one or two articles if they look interesting, but I'm the only one who reads most of it (usually skip the fiction). We also get Wired, which my tech-oriented kids especially like. My daughter likes Family Fun for craft ideas.

I also get copies of Smithsonian from a relative when she's done reading them. The content is still relevant a month or two later (unless you're planning a museum visit) so that works great for us.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:55 am
Readers digest.

My father gets the whisky advocate.

I used to get entertainment weekly, but I stopped partly bc there was a lot about shows and movies I didn't care for and also bc I find it was too spoliery

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:14 am
I get some cooking magazine that my daughter likes to look at for ideas. I think it’s something from Food Network chefs. Also there’s a local (to me) parenting magazine that I can get free in various places around the city. It has local resources and activity ideas.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:55 am
THe New Yorker and bon appetit

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:57 am
Harper's (if you like The Atlantic, you will probably enjoy Harper's as well)
Consumer Reports
Muse (for kids)
Cook's Illustrated

challahchallah

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:00 am
National Geographic!
(Fair warning: it shows people of different cultures with different norms of what modesty entails)

Sadie

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:40 am
I read the New Yorker now. When I was a kid I had a subscription to the amazing kids literary magazine Cricket. It still exists and I’m hoping it’s still as good as it used to be. My baby is one and I’m planning to get him a subscription for their baby version, babybug. The company has a few different magazines for different ages/interests. Highly recommended.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:07 am
My dad reads cars things, my husband planes and helicopters and stuff. For kids we haven't found something that both interests them and is fitting our lifestyle (like, once upon a time, national geographic was much tamer, Mickey didn't speak of boys girls stuff, I even found articles on AIDS- not details bh - in a "kids publication).

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:22 am
Popular Science
Scientific American

Air and Space

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:35 am
Sadie wrote:
I read the New Yorker now. When I was a kid I had a subscription to the amazing kids literary magazine Cricket. It still exists and I’m hoping it’s still as good as it used to be. My baby is one and I’m planning to get him a subscription for their baby version, babybug. The company has a few different magazines for different ages/interests. Highly recommended.

We also loved Cricket Magazine! I wonder what it’s like in today’s changed literary landscapes.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:14 pm
I love the Readers digest. It has great humor sections and interesting articles.
I also get
parents
Food network
Martha Stewart living

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:28 pm
readers digest

chmom

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:38 pm
The New Yorker, hands down the best magazine ever, I‘ve been a subscriber for about thirty years
Harpers Bazaar
The hockey news
Oprah magazine

Leriem

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:59 pm
anon for this wrote:
Please share magazines you like, including your favorite features (or warn me off ones I should avoid).

Besides some homemaking magazines like Good Houskeeping and Real Simple, I get The Week, which almost all of us read. When Atlantic Monthly comes we all read the Big Question feature at the end, and my kids will read one or two articles if they look interesting, but I'm the only one who reads most of it (usually skip the fiction). We also get Wired, which my tech-oriented kids especially like. My daughter likes Family Fun for craft ideas.

I also get copies of Smithsonian from a relative when she's done reading them. The content is still relevant a month or two later (unless you're planning a museum visit) so that works great for us.

I used to get The Week too but it’s so horribly left wing and anti the President I stopped reading it. I get GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, Redbook, Real Simple, Money...I find the others inappropriate.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 2:57 pm
Some of my kids have subscriptions to National Geographic Kids and Highlights.

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 3:04 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

I used to read Cricket as a kid too, and even entered a bunch of their story contests. My kids got a gift sub that has since ended. It seems not to have changed that much in format--they still have letters, stories, and contests, though now they go via email rather than the post office.

I'd forgotten that we get Reader's Digest; most of us read that. We also get Popular Science, though we don't like it as much as Wired, so I probably won't renew.

Scientific American sounds good, but I think it's a little too heavy reading for us.

I did get New Yorker for a while with a temporary sub and like it but didn't want to pay full price. Maybe I will check out Harper's Bazaar based on the recommendations here.

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 3:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My dad reads cars things, my husband planes and helicopters and stuff. For kids we haven't found something that both interests them and is fitting our lifestyle (like, once upon a time, national geographic was much tamer, Mickey didn't speak of boys girls stuff, I even found articles on AIDS- not details bh - in a "kids publication).

Maybe Zoobooks or other publications from Ranger Rick will work?

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 3:08 pm
Leriem wrote:
I used to get The Week too but it’s so horribly left wing and anti the President I stopped reading it. I get GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, Redbook, Real Simple, Money...I find the others inappropriate.

You find Smithsonian, Wired, and Atlantic Monthly inappropriate?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 3:09 pm
anon for this wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

I used to read Cricket as a kid too, and even entered a bunch of their story contests. My kids got a gift sub that has since ended. It seems not to have changed that much in format--they still have letters, stories, and contests, though now they go via email rather than the post office.

I'd forgotten that we get Reader's Digest; most of us read that. We also get Popular Science, though we don't like it as much as Wired, so I probably won't renew.

Scientific American sounds good, but I think it's a little too heavy reading for us.

I did get New Yorker for a while with a temporary sub and like it but didn't want to pay full price. Maybe I will check out Harper's Bazaar based on the recommendations here.

Just to clarify:

Harper's Magazine is a thought-and-opinion magazine similar to The Atlantic.

Harper's Bazaar is a sophisticated fashion magazine

Both good, but very different.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 3:11 pm
anon for this wrote:
You find Smithsonian, Wired, and Atlantic Monthly inappropriate?

The Atlantic leans left (as does the New Yorker) - so if your machmir on only reading your bias..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room