Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Average salary for post sem girl
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:06 am
What would you say is an average salary to expect for a post sem girl? My daughter was just offered $15 an hour for an office job- not secretarial, not sales. Do you think that’s a reasonable salary to expect, being that she has no work experience, or can she get more?

Don’t want to explain what her job is because it’s very specific and I don’t want her employer to recognize her if she sees this.

coloredleaves

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:15 am
I think that is very fair

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:22 am
Depends where. In Lakewood I think you can get more than that because there are so many jobs available that big offices have tried to be more competitive

happyone

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:25 am
Fair starting salary.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:26 am
No, if she's in Lakewood it starts at $16

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:29 am
Thats definitely the going rate.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:50 am
In Lakewood, most places are paying $20 starting.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 1:25 am
Thank you all so much for your replies!

I’m sorry for not including my location in my OP- I meant to. We’re in Monsey.

$20 an hour?! Why is there a $5 difference between Monsey and Lakewood?

My daughter’s friend is making $17 an hour at her office job in Monsey. We’re trying to work out if that’s higher than average.

Could it be that all of the people who posted that $15 is normal are saying this based on their own experience, and in the years that have passed since they started working, the going rate has gone up?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 1:33 am
amother wrote:

My daughter’s friend is making $17 an hour at her office job in Monsey. We’re trying to work out if that’s higher than average.

Could it be that all of the people who posted that $15 is normal are saying this based on their own experience, and in the years that have passed since they started working, the going rate has gone up?

Supply and demand.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 2:38 am
amother wrote:
In Lakewood, most places are paying $20 starting.

I work as a recruiter and this is not correct.

Average is between $16 - $23/ hr in Lakewood with most big companies offering no more than $19 for post sem girls (If you are talking about married women, it is different)

The only reason companies would pay more than that is if they are a smaller company and have a hard time getting candidates.

In Brooklyn the range is a bit higher - I'd say $18 - $22/ starting salary .

$15 is a bit low. Op, your daughter should and could ask for $1 - $2 more. Monsey, I'd say is between $17 - $21/ hr starting out.

Sadie

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 3:34 am
amother wrote:
I work as a recruiter and this is not correct.

Average is between $16 - $23/ hr in Lakewood with most big companies offering no more than $19 for post sem girls (If you are talking about married women, it is different)

The only reason companies would pay more than that is if they are a smaller company and have a hard time getting candidates.

In Brooklyn the range is a bit higher - I'd say $18 - $22/ starting salary .

$15 is a bit low. Op, your daughter should and could ask for $1 - $2 more. Monsey, I'd say is between $17 - $21/ hr starting out.

I was aware that “heimish” companies illegally discriminated based on marital status, but big companies are doing it too?

ROFL

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 3:59 am
I would say 15 for a brand new employee is fair today. The question is what happens when minimum wage goes up in Jan. What will happen to her salary then?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 4:33 am
Sadie wrote:
I was aware that “heimish” companies illegally discriminated based on marital status, but big companies are doing it too?

Yes, and it's not only in the Frum community.

Don't act so shocked Tongue Out

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 4:36 am
ROFL wrote:
I would say 15 for a brand new employee is fair today. The question is what happens when minimum wage goes up in Jan. What will happen to her salary then?

It's definitely "Fair" but the question wasn't if it was fair but what the going rate was.

In Israel, $15/hr entry level is quite high and definitely a nice salary but every place has their own going rate and you want to be sure you are not getting "underpaid" for the going rate of place you are living.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 4:37 am
amother wrote:

Where else would it be? Nobody has ever asked my marital status at any job and it was never a bargaining point for a salary.
I've never been at a place where the married women got paid more. I would report them.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 5:08 am
amother wrote:

Monsey employers always paid less than elsewhere unfortunately . They take advantage since jobs are limited. But $15 has been the norm for a starting position, with no prior work experience at all offices I've worked at in Monsey. Once you have experience, a good work ethic, skills etc, employers are ready to pay more.

Sadie

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 5:41 am
amother wrote:

I’m aware that discrimination exists everywhere, but to the point that a big company would provide an outside recruiter with clearly different starting salaries for the same job based on whether the employee is a single “girl” vs a married “woman”? Wouldn’t a big company have a legal department (or at least legal counsel) and and HR department? Aren’t they afraid of getting sued?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:03 am
Sadie wrote:
I’m aware that discrimination exists everywhere, but to the point that a big company would provide an outside recruiter with clearly different starting salaries for the same job based on whether the employee is a single “girl” vs a married “woman”? Wouldn’t a big company have a legal department (or at least legal counsel) and and HR department? Aren’t they afraid of getting sued?

No, ok, I guess I really wasn't clear.
This really has nothing to do with marital status. The company gives us a range for an entry level position and pays higher for those with more office experience, usually married women or single girls that have been working for over 2 years as opposed to straight out of seminary girls. We don't decide or have anything to do with the $$ amounts of offers the candidates will receive.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:05 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Monsey employers always paid less than elsewhere unfortunately . They take advantage since jobs are limited. But $15 has been the norm for a starting position, with no prior work experience at all offices I've worked at in Monsey. Once you have experience, a good work ethic, skills etc, employers are ready to pay more.

As of when? The going rates have gone up across the board.

I was making $13.50 in Lakewood starting salary as of 6 years ago and today I would get $16-$17/ hour starting out.

Same with Monsey

imasoftov

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 6:18 am
amother wrote:

I'm not shocked, but if you have any references I would calmly read them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics